1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

BRS Pathology or Robbins Pocket Companion???

Discussion in 'Step I' started by BlondeCookie, Mar 11, 2007.

1. BlondeCookie

BlondeCookie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know most people use either a review book such as BRS, High Yield, or Rapid Review for USMLE Pathology prep, but what about using Robbins Pocket Companion instead?

I have Robbins Pathology (big book) and seems like the Pocket Companion would work well to complement and it's small enough. What do you think about using the Robbins Pocket Companion as a review book instead of the popular ones mentioned? Has anyone tried this? Just wondering how useful this Pocket Companion book really is.

2. emcee1109

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
  3. RapidReview

RapidReview PGY-4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I read big Robbins during coursework (we don't get classnotes for path) and golijan's rr text. I think rr is good because it highlights the more high yield topics and integrates pharm/biochem etc which I think you'd be missing out on by only using baby Robbins. Just my 2 cents.

4. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For board prep, you only need Rapid Review. It is specifically designed for the boards.

So basically I agree with the previous poster.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. emcee1109

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I actually have the Goljan Rapid Review of Pathology book, and I've been using it as a reference if there was something in my class notes that I didn't completely understand. However, since it is in outline format, I thought it might be a harder read (I think this issue was discussed somewhere else). One of my classmates had the Robbins Pocket Companion, and from a first glance, it looked like it would be a good review (we have a cumulative final in Pathology and Pharmacology at our school). I've also heard good things about BRS Path since it is not in an outline format.