Brs Pathology vs Goljan Rapid Review Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotrumpet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Goljan RR enough for acing Path on step 1?

Which one is better, for those who tried both?

Members don't see this ad.

Recommend using both, but I found RR to be more useful for learning (BRS for quick review and questions). audio + RR + Robbins Review questions made path a breeze. (with first aid of course)

MiguelSanchez said:
audio + RR + Robbins Review questions made path a breeze. (with first aid of course)

This along with Qbank is the closest you can get to a recipe to crushing Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends on your style.....i worked my ass off in path during 2nd year and supplemented my course studies with BRS because it complemented my coursework well with its format. When it came to studying for Step 1, i was pretty much SICK of the outline/factoid presentation style of BRS and was ready for something presented differently with a little more conceptual emphasis. RR, Goljan's audio, and Robbin's Review of Path Q's helped solidify and integrate various disciplines, and it for me it ended up being the highest yield sources I used, culminating in a score that I am super stoked on.

For me I didn't understand all the hype behind goljan's audio lectures. I found it to be an inefficient way of studying. Anyways, I read through BRS path a few times for Step I and I found it to be very helpful. Everyone has their different styles of studying so i have a feeling you'll know which one will work better for you early on.

gotrumpet said:
Is Goljan RR enough for acing Path on step 1?

Which one is better, for those who tried both?

Pathology was my highest section on the USMLE. I used Goljan only.

-Lectures
-Notes (RR)

Path was my highest section. I used FA/BRS Path/Robbins Review/Goljan audio. didnt touch anything from goljan that was on paper.

I did well in Path but only used BRS Path and FA. I had the Goljan lectures and listed to a few but felt they were kind of a waste of time especially when he'd go off on some weird tangent :rolleyes: .

That being said I didn't study at all for the boards during 2nd year and really didn't have time to fit in audio lectures into my pre-exam cramming. I had Goljan's notes too, but didn't get around to them.

Where do you find the Goljan lectures? I have been reading RR and I really like it alot better than BRS path. How helpful would you say the audio is (1-10)?

i believe most people found them off some torrent/rapidshare site. i've been listening to the audio (alongside RR) and feel that the audio helps me retain a lot more than just reading the text. helpfulness...ummm...maybe an 8 or so. but don't expect a whole lot more information than what you're reading in RR.

SurgeryRA said:
For me I didn't understand all the hype behind goljan's audio lectures. I found it to be an inefficient way of studying.

To make it more efficient, my approach was to play it in WinAmp and crank up the Tempo & Speed with the Pacemaker plug-in as fast as I could keep up and still comprehend things. I got through each of the thirty-seven 50-min lectures in about 30 minutes. They're awesome for tying things together and thinking like Boards(/doctors?). I thought they were pretty high-yield and easy to recall, especially considering his antics. :)

Lincoln :)

Members don't see this ad :)
lwestfall said:
To make it more efficient, my approach was to play it in WinAmp and crank up the Tempo & Speed with the Pacemaker plug-in as fast as I could keep up and still comprehend things. I got through each of the thirty-seven 50-min lectures in about 30 minutes. They're awesome for tying things together and thinking like Boards(/doctors?). I thought they were pretty high-yield and easy to recall, especially considering his antics. :)

Lincoln :)

That's creativity. Did he sound like a chipmunk? Because 30 min of a chipmunk talking to you would be sort of annoying.

Hey guys,
For those of you using Goljan Rapid Review, are you retaining a lot of the stuff you read? I'm reading a few chapters a day, and it's helping me understand the concepts a lot better, but I can't seem to make the details stick. Any suggestions? I don't think I will have time to read through it multiple times...

Hey guys,
For those of you using Goljan Rapid Review, are you retaining a lot of the stuff you read? I'm reading a few chapters a day, and it's helping me understand the concepts a lot better, but I can't seem to make the details stick. Any suggestions? I don't think I will have time to read through it multiple times...

Im the exact same way, I cant retain the stuff but I know it has to be up there somewhere because I am doing very well on questions.

I used Goljan for everything except heme--I substituted it with BRS Path's chapters on heme--i'm not about to read >100 pages on that one topic.

My exam is in 2 weeks and I have now ditched goljan for first aid and uworld. I read thru some sections of goljan twice and others once. Im going to do a practice exam this weekend and reread goljan chapter's for my worst subjects though.

Any advice on the last couple weeks???

I don't understand the hype over Goljan Audio at all. His RR book is excellent, but why would I listen to him do an overview of something that takes an hour when you can just read it in the book. I tried the heme/neo lectures and listened to all of the basic science lectures, but after trying his stuff for renal and respiratory I find he just spends too much time on one topic and speaks to it at a very basal level. To be fair though I have attended 2 lectures this semseter and find auditory learning to be tedious.

I don't understand the hype over Goljan Audio at all. His RR book is excellent, but why would I listen to him do an overview of something that takes an hour when you can just read it in the book. I tried the heme/neo lectures and listened to all of the basic science lectures, but after trying his stuff for renal and respiratory I find he just spends too much time on one topic and speaks to it at a very basal level. To be fair though I have attended 2 lectures this semseter and find auditory learning to be tedious.

I sped the files up and saved them to my mp3 player. I never just sit down and listen to them, I listen to them while I'm walking to and from wherever I'm going, or at the gym. Maybe I'm not "maximizing" the benefit of these lectures by not just sitting down and taking notes, but I don't feel that's very efficient anyway. But listening to the lectures while I'd otherwise be listening to music/nothing has worked out ok for me so far.

The nice thing about goljan audio is that it's simple and you can listen to it when you're tired to reading. His audio is also a more mechanistic understanding of pathology. It's a nice way to run through the material again when you're just too lazy to re-read.

And yes...speed it up. I do 1.5x on Quicktime and it takes me about 40 minutes per lecture as opposed to 60 minutes and over the course of 37 lectures, that's going to save you over 740 minutes.

my test is april 22nd.

i used goljan audio = listened to it twice, the last time taking my own notes from them.

DIT = finished the course, wrote extra notes on top of my goljan notes.

Finished Uworld = added notes on top of the goljan and DIT notes.

Daily note reading + Uworld incorrect + FA review + using Goljan RR as supplement = add extra notes on my notes as needed.

Currently FREE READING BRS + doing questions = easy read + GREAT review.

Has anyone tried just reading the Blue Text in Goljan Rapid Review (as opposed to reading the entire book)? I was wondering if this would be more time efficient...

Has anyone tried just reading the Blue Text in Goljan Rapid Review (as opposed to reading the entire book)? I was wondering if this would be more time efficient...

It's efficient for just quick review maybe a 1 or 2 days out from the exam. But they'll just appear as random facts if that's all you read - the text is what really integrates everything and makes sense of those facts.

I also find that even sometimes just reading the text without any background knowledge is difficult enough, which is why I usually have Robbins or wikipedia open next to me.

It's efficient for just quick review maybe a 1 or 2 days out from the exam. But they'll just appear as random facts if that's all you read - the text is what really integrates everything and makes sense of those facts.

I also find that even sometimes just reading the text without any background knowledge is difficult enough, which is why I usually have Robbins or wikipedia open next to me.

:thumbup:
ditto on the difficulties on trying to use RR as the primary source of my path knowledge

depends on the time you want to spend. This is how I rate them

Goljan audio >= (greater than or equal to) Goljan book (3rd edition has too much crap) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BRS path

depends on the time you want to spend. This is how I rate them

Goljan audio >= (greater than or equal to) Goljan book (3rd edition has too much crap) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BRS path

I think the audio is a good way to focus on high yield points in the 3rd edition of RR. There's a lot of information in that book that is a bit overkill for some diseases.

While I primarily use RR, I occasionally prefer BRS for a few topics. MSK was one where I personally thought the information was presented more logically in BRS. I also thought Hematology and Skin are also just excessive in RR, and are presented much more concisely in BRS (although the pictures in RR for these sections are good to look over).

I feel like BRS path is organized much better than RR

Although RR has much better pics and overall info, I dont like the way its spread out. BRS places topics into a much more understandable context. I usually read my RR with FA/BRS next to me.

I also hate how there are no spaces between new topics in the chapters! I put a huge marker line before any new topic begins lol

BRS path for path alone. Rapid review for pathophysiology and hardcore integration tie-in's with pharm, biochem, micro, etc. BRS path is a good book on its own, but Rapid review is much more comprehensive. BRS is a quick read, while RR is much more overwhelming due to the fact that it is truly comprehensive.

I've read some of BRS and RR and this is what I have come up with as a (hopefully) winning formula:

1. Path Intro (cell injury, inflammation, neoplasia, etc) - Read BRS. These concepts will most likely be tested in relation to another organ pathology so RR might be overkill here.

2. Heme-Onc - Read BRS. Goljan seems to love this material and thus goes into overkill mode. I recently learned this in school so BRS should be sufficient and save a LOT of time.

3. Organ systems - RR. He will make a lot of pathophys connections that are important for boards. BRS is a little skimpy on details but can serve as a good review after reading RR if you're really determined.

Listen to the Goljan audio along with each section (even the BRS ones). This way you get the best of both worlds and lots of high yield info.

Finally, finish with practice questions on the section you just did (using a Qbank, Robbins, or some other book)

This is what I came up with after reading SDN, talking to others, and personal experience from reading some BRS, RR and doing practice questions.

Does this sound good?

Last edited:

Goljan's lectures bring life to his book. Not only does he reinforce what he has in RR Path, but I find myself remembering things he says as I answer USMLE World questions.

Example: His story about Extravascular Hemolysis and the Macrophage smiling in the dark as the spherocyte struggles to get through the spleen. Really funny stuff. And guess what... I remember extravascular hemolysis!

I am considering getting BRS Pathology as a quick review.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was wondering does BRS path add stuff that Goljan does not have? I have been reading goljan, do I need BRS too?

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was wondering does BRS path add stuff that Goljan does not have? I have been reading goljan, do I need BRS too?

Ive got both books and the only use I see in BRS is the questions at the end of each chapter and using it as a 2 minute review of a topic.
I doubt this, but perhaps others have seen additional material in BRS?
You are definitely not missing out on mechanisms in BRS.

As a preface, I've only scanned BRS briefly, so I can' treally compare the depth of material between the two.

Perhaps it is because I read big robbins, but I find the amount of details fine in rapid review. It is great review for each test and seems to hit the major points for all the lectures in our classes.

His audio lectures aren't great as a stand alone thing. I rarely just sit there and listen to them. I use them during times that would otherwise be dead. If I'm driving to my parent's house, to go get groceries, walking from my car into school and then my morning setup with coffee brewing, etc. I do try to listen through ONCE with the book in front of me to jot down anything I found helpful.

More than a couple of times his voice has rang through my head during an exam with something that seemed stupid at the time.

thanks guys. i haven't been listening to the audio ... he kinda annoys me but maybe i will try to listen to a few.