Bryn Mawr 09-10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tunafishsandwic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So who is coming to Bryn Mawr next year? I got the good news last week. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm looking forward to considering it :) Anyway, congrats on your acceptance!

Hey...I'll be in your class. Just sent my acceptance confirmation form and check in last week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you guys do your interview? Also, how did you receive your acceptance notice?

I interviewed 11/3 and received my notification by phone 11/17. I loved their quick turnaround time.

Turnaround should be very quick this year. We just added a new admissions associate and every time I go in the office she's working her tail off. Expect it to be a bit longer during the application "rush" that occurs in January, though.

I'm turning in the application packets on Friday.

hey tunafishsandwic, i interviewed the same day as you so we've already met.. weird. congratulations though.. i wonder if anyone else from our interview group got in.

My application is currently under review and I'm waiting to hear back to see if I get an interview. How was your interview? Where there any tough or unexpected questions? Did you go in person or have it over the phone?

hey, i'm applying to post-bacs right now for fall 2009 and Bryn Mawr is high on my list...what kind of applicants were you guys? i can't really find statistics on admissions for any of the postbac programs.
i also applied to nyu, usc, tufts, columbia, georgetown...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, you can check out my profile message board if you'd like.. i posted my stats/extracurricular activities in response to another user's question. from my understanding, many of the top programs are looking for applicants with decent board scores (1300+) and around a 3.5 gpa. of course, they've probably made exceptions in the past for people with impressive resumes. those stats aren't official.. they're taken from what i've observed in past posts. i don't think they even have an official gpa/sat/gre cutoff.

Hi everyone -

I have an interview down on the main line next Wednesday and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about their interview, what kind of questions they asked you, attire, etc.. My prehealth advisor at my college plays favorites and won't give me a fair shot, so I need your help.

Drbarkerjr,
My interview at Bryn Mawr was pretty laid back. In terms of attire, I wore a suit (I'm female, FYI), and I was the most dressed up interviewee. The only guy there wore dress pants with a shirt and tie, another girl just wore black pants and a nice sweater, and one girl wore jeans. I'm not sure if clothing has any effect, but I would always rather be too formal than too casual.
The interview starts with an info session where the director tells you everything there is to know about the program, stopping for questions along the way. Then there's a class, lunch, and mini-tour with some current students, and finally the actual interview. Most of the questions she asked me were very specific to my resume and essays, but all were along the idea of "how did you get here?" I would have a very solid idea of why you want to pursue a career in medicine and why you've chosen to do so at this point in your life.
I'm not sure if it would be too helpful for me to share my stats because I'm not sure if I got into to BM; I accepted an offer at Goucher and withdrew my Bryn Mawr app. before the committee met again.
Hope this helps.

I am expecting that all my materials (LORs and SAT scores) will arrive at Goucher and Bryn Mawr early next week. I'm in the middle of finals and have a little bit of polishing left to do on my essay-- does anyone expect that either of these schools will review applications before January? Is it worth taking time out from studying this weekend to get everything there by Tuesday? I am, honestly, a little nervous about being behind, seeing that the schools are already issuing acceptances. gulp.

And congratulations to you all who are already in!

I am expecting that all my materials (LORs and SAT scores) will arrive at Goucher and Bryn Mawr early next week. I'm in the middle of finals and have a little bit of polishing left to do on my essay-- does anyone expect that either of these schools will review applications before January? Is it worth taking time out from studying this weekend to get everything there by Tuesday? I am, honestly, a little nervous about being behind, seeing that the schools are already issuing acceptances. gulp.

I wouldn't worry too much about being behind. When I interviewed at Goucher I asked what timeframe they had for filling a class. (To give myself some kind of idea of when I should get worried if I hadn't heard back.) They said they try to keep slots open until late spring. There's at least one person in the current class that joined after the summer session had already started.

I think you'll be best served by waiting until you can give your application your full attention. If that isn't until January, well, that's only delaying things by a few weeks. There should still be slots available.

Bryn Mawr has already filled the slots for this year's last interview day, next week. We (the current students) have our last final on Friday, so we'll all be gone soon after that and the program considers it key that you see us, for whatever reason. The next interview day will be in the last week of January. You have some time, but that January day will fill up fast so don't take too long.

For all those who have left to apply, this marks the beginning of the application rush. Admissions will take a bit longer to get back to you and your application will be part of a larger incoming pool. This shouldn't affect your chances, though, if you're a solid applicant.

Thanks for the reassurance/insight, everyone! My SO applied for medical school last year, late in the cycle, and, though it all turned out great for him in the end, it was a little harrowing. I thought I was good getting stuff in mid-December.

How are your stats?

I just got my rejection letter in the mail.

I just got notification of an interview. Did anyone do a phone interview? I'm not sure I can take time off to fly out. I know they say that it won't count against you if you don't go in person but does it really make a difference? Is it a better experience to see the campus and meet with other students?

I just got notification of an interview. Did anyone do a phone interview? I'm not sure I can take time off to fly out. I know they say that it won't count against you if you don't go in person but does it really make a difference? Is it a better experience to see the campus and meet with other students?

It's a better experience, but I promise you you will not be at a disadvantage doing a phone interview. A surprising number of my class did phone interviews last year and, clearly, it didn't hurt their chances. You don't want to see an orgo class anyway -- it'll just get you worked up.

Read up on tips for phone interviews. There's plenty written on it in job-hunting manuals.
One sorta-odd, but apparently important tip: stand while holding the phone. Supposedly it literally keeps you on your toes -- more alert, and you give a better interview.
Also, if something bad happens at the time they call -- the baby sister falls down a flight of stairs, something like that -- explain it and re-schedule. Better that, than to try to work your way through it, and they don't get a good picture of you.
Good luck!

- Pedro

I want to know who's going to school with me next year!:)

Hey guys,

I noticed that we don't have a Facebook group so I decided to step up and make one (aka, I'm at work and bored so I'm procrastinating). You can search for the group to join: Bryn Mawr Postbac 2009/2010.

Oh, and if you want me to make it private, just let me know and I'll change the settings.

Hi! I applied to the Bryn Mawr postbac and have a phone interview in a week or so.

For those of you who've been through the interview already -

Does it focus on your job/school/volunteer background, why you want to be a doctor, showing that you're up to the challenge of doing well in their program and will likely get into med school -

- or -

Are you expected to talk about issues that might come up in a medical school interview - like medical ethics issues, your specific career goals, what factors inform your choice of med school, etc.?

Thanks!

And congrats to all of you who'll be at Bryn Mawr next year!

Hi! I applied to the Bryn Mawr postbac and have a phone interview in a week or so.

For those of you who've been through the interview already -

Does it focus on your job/school/volunteer background, why you want to be a doctor, showing that you're up to the challenge of doing well in their program and will likely get into med school -

- or -

Are you expected to talk about issues that might come up in a medical school interview - like medical ethics issues, your specific career goals, what factors inform your choice of med school, etc.?

Thanks!

And congrats to all of you who'll be at Bryn Mawr next year!

My interview was well over a year ago now, but if you're with Mary Beth I would anticipate some of the latter but mostly the former of your two categories.

Bryn Mawr and all of the top postbacs are very protective of their high med school acceptance rates. The last thing they want is for you to show up, see just how daunting it all is, flip your sh_t, do poorly and subsequently not get into med school. They'll protect you fiercely once you're here, but they want to be 100% sure you're worth all the effort.

It's a socially conscious program, so the more you can wax theoretical regarding issues of import to healthcare, medicine and societal justice, the better. But that's just icing on the cake. Focus on making yourself seem confident (but not cocky), mature (respecting that it will be a challenge, not a cakewalk), and unflappable (be honest about things you'd like to improve upon as a person and as a student, but insist that you're not easily shaken).

My interview was pretty laid back. It was very conversational and the topics of conversation were mostly based on what I wrote in my essay and resume. Just be yourself and be prepared to talk about why you decided to do post-bac and why now. Talk about the experiences that helped you make your decision enthusiastically.

I withdrew my application so I won't be going there. Good luck to you and to everyone else going there! It's a great program.

My interview was well over a year ago now, but if you're with Mary Beth I would anticipate some of the latter but mostly the former of your two categories.

Bryn Mawr and all of the top postbacs are very protective of their high med school acceptance rates. The last thing they want is for you to show up, see just how daunting it all is, flip your sh_t, do poorly and subsequently not get into med school. They'll protect you fiercely once you're here, but they want to be 100% sure you're worth all the effort.

It's a socially conscious program, so the more you can wax theoretical regarding issues of import to healthcare, medicine and societal justice, the better. But that's just icing on the cake. Focus on making yourself seem confident (but not cocky), mature (respecting that it will be a challenge, not a cakewalk), and unflappable (be honest about things you'd like to improve upon as a person and as a student, but insist that you're not easily shaken).

i did phone interview. it was a little weird....

I had a phone interview with Dianne 2 weeks ago and heard back last week from Jodi that I got in!!!

I'm super excited about the news and trying to decide between Bryn Mawr and a couple other schools.

Did anyone go out for the interview in person? Anything you saw that helped you make a decision that that's where you wanted to go? It's hard for me to travel because I'm on the west coast but I was thinking a visit to the school might help me to make a decision.

Hello all, I was wondering how long it took to hear back from Bryn Mawr after the interview. I had an interview on Jan 15th and I am still waiting to hear back- I am not sure if this is a really bad sign and I am wondering if anyone else was or is in a similar situation. Any information would be much appreciated.

Hello all, I was wondering how long it took to hear back from Bryn Mawr after the interview. I had an interview on Jan 15th and I am still waiting to hear back- I am not sure if this is a really bad sign and I am wondering if anyone else was or is in a similar situation. Any information would be much appreciated.

At least one member of your interview group heard back last Friday. You should definitely hear by the end of this week; if not, call.

Hey all,
I just received my acceptance to Bryn Mawr a few days ago and barring any major financial issues I should be seeing you all in Philly.

A few quick questions...

I've been in Northern Uganda interning for almost a year now and am not sure when I want to start at Bryn Mawr. Fall/Spring? If I wanted to make it in time for the Spring term I would pretty much have to jump on a plane soon so I can readjust to hot water, move, and mentally prepare for an academic smackdown... Or should I start in fall and accept that I would only be eligable for three linkage programs?

Also, how far in advance should I be looking into housing? A few months? Is it possible to do it all online from over here or should I sort all of it when I get home to the states?

Thanks for help in advance. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those waiting!

Hey all,
I just received my acceptance to Bryn Mawr a few days ago and barring any major financial issues I should be seeing you all in Philly.

A few quick questions...

I've been in Northern Uganda interning for almost a year now and am not sure when I want to start at Bryn Mawr. Fall/Spring? If I wanted to make it in time for the Spring term I would pretty much have to jump on a plane soon so I can readjust to hot water, move, and mentally prepare for an academic smackdown... Or should I start in fall and accept that I would only be eligable for three linkage programs?

Also, how far in advance should I be looking into housing? A few months? Is it possible to do it all online from over here or should I sort all of it when I get home to the states?

Thanks for help in advance. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those waiting!

You can do housing online; that won't be too much of a problem. You can then sign a lease once you get here.

Starting in the summer is better. I'm not supposed to say that, but it's the plain and simple truth. Gen Chem is top notch at BM and they focus on the things you need to know for a) Orgo and b) the MCAT. The group is smaller and tighter in the summer and socially a lot more happens. All that aside, those who start in the summer get the best volunteer positions since they have all summer to set them up while area college students, who might normally compete for them, are at home.

Fall starting isn't a terrible thing -- it's just not preferable. If you haven't already taken Gen Chem, though, then you'll have to take Orgo next summer. Orgo is manageable, but doing it all in 8 weeks would be pure hell.

What percentage of the incoming class usually enrolls in spring vs fall?

Hi,
I'm wondering if Bryn Mawr has the option of taking physiology in the spring in place of the typical Biology part2 course. I've hears physio helps a lot more with the MCAT and is more interesting. thanks.

Hi,
I'm wondering if Bryn Mawr has the option of taking physiology in the spring in place of the typical Biology part2 course. I've hears physio helps a lot more with the MCAT and is more interesting. thanks.

Most people take genetics and biochemistry, if they've already taken Bio I & II. Those two will help you more for medical school.

Have you already taken both intro bios? If not, you need to take them -- they're required for med school.

i just got into the bryn mawr program last week and i'm really excited! i'll be starting in the fall. i'm planning on staying in philadelphia and waitressing over the summer, but i'm wondering if it would be good to move out to bryn mawr when my lease runs out on june 1st. does anyone know if it's possible to live for free as an RA? i know that some post bacs live in a house together and that most live in bryn mawr. what are the pros and cons of the different living arrangements?

i just got into the bryn mawr program last week and i'm really excited! i'll be starting in the fall. i'm planning on staying in philadelphia and waitressing over the summer, but i'm wondering if it would be good to move out to bryn mawr when my lease runs out on june 1st. does anyone know if it's possible to live for free as an RA? i know that some post bacs live in a house together and that most live in bryn mawr. what are the pros and cons of the different living arrangements?

Living in Bryn Mawr isn't nearly as cool as living in Philly. If you have the option, stay in Philly as long as possible. A few people in the program now still live in Philly and commute every day. That's not too bad since you'll be on campus all day anyway; it's not like you'll have to constantly be coming back and forth from downtown.

BM doesn't offer free rent for RAs, and I actually don't think postbacs can be RAs, either.

There are two main large properties that are handed down by each postbac class. About a dozen or so people live in each, so they are great places to live if you want to be at the social epicenter of the program. However, if you tend to enjoy privacy and a quiet study environment, you might consider living in one of the cheap apartments on Montgomery Avenue. They aren't all that pretty but you're only there for a year and if you find a roommate you like, it can be a lot of fun.

you might consider living in one of the cheap apartments on Montgomery Avenue. They aren't all that pretty but you're only there for a year and if you find a roommate you like, it can be a lot of fun.

What are these cheap apartments? Where can I find information about them?

What are these cheap apartments? Where can I find information about them?

If you're an accepted student, you should have gotten a PDF file with a list of preferred apartments. These are the places most postbacs have chosen to live over the last few years. If you want more specific information, call the leasing offices.

I was accepted into both JHU and Bryn Mawr and I am now struggling to decide between the too.

I know Bryn Mawr has the history of being the oldest and one of the best programs but everyone I talk to, from parents to doctor friends, seem to be enamored with the Hopkins name. I loved both places. Is there anyone here to persuade me one way or the other?

I have to decide by March 23rd!

Thanks!

The most important thing is to do really well in whatever program you choose. Don't worry about what other people think. If you see yourself excelling better in one program, choose that one.

I think it's important to note that Hopkins post bac is not the same as Hopkins Med. The name of the post bac does not carry the same weight as the actual med school, especially when you do real med school admissions. Go to the place where you feel you fit best.

I picked bryn mawr so I'll be seeing you guys in the fall. I'm pumped.

go irish

hey-

just curious if maybe someone else out there was in the late application process and got the letter and email today about how they are "deferring final consideration of your candidacy" until mid-May. ... idly wondering if it applied to all of us / means anything / if something unexpected has happened...

:)

hey-

just curious if maybe someone else out there was in the late application process and got the letter and email today about how they are "deferring final consideration of your candidacy" until mid-May. ... idly wondering if it applied to all of us / means anything / if something unexpected has happened...

:)

Nothing unexpected. That happened to a few people in my class when they applied last year. It just means you'll get a seat if someone else doesn't show up or drops out at the last minute.

hmmm. ok, but the letter says i'm not accepted, rejected **or wait-listed**
...it said they have been delayed for 10 days - so that's why it doesn't really sound like they are going to wait for answers from other candidates.
i'll find out soon enough i suppose. thanks for the response!