Bryn Mawr College - Clinical Developmental Phd Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leikcaj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input about this program? It sounds like a great program for someone focused on clinical developmental psychology and some of the faculty are pretty active researchers... but I'm a little concerned about the fact that it's not APA-accredited... any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiar with Bryn Mawr. There are programs that are not accredited, yet are still quite reputable – probably good you’re doing some detective work to find out exactly why. As you probably know, accreditation is an important consideration though not the one and all. Those who advocate for APA accreditation will point out that a couple states require students to graduate from APA programs in order to be licensed, many predoctoral internship sites prefer students from APA programs, and settings such as the VA hospital will only hire individuals from APA programs and internships. In reality though, I think many states and work places are just fine with non APA yet equivalent training. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks - I'll let you know what I find out. Apparently all their graduates who have the relevant post-doc experience become licensed psychologists...

Members don't see this ad :)
I read about this program, and they claim that because it's a small class size, that's why their note accredited. However, that is not the case. Most programs have really small class sizes, so I believe there is something else that APA requires that is not in place there. They are other schools that have the dual training in both clinical and developmental psychology, and there is even a published article about them.

I read about this program, and they claim that because it's a small class size, that's why their note accredited. However, that is not the case. Most programs have really small class sizes, so I believe there is something else that APA requires that is not in place there. They are other schools that have the dual training in both clinical and developmental psychology, and there is even a published article about them.

Do you have a name of the article? Thanks!

The article is by Zeman, Nangle, and Sim 1999