Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

BS/DO at NYIT-- your opinions

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by ethereal, Aug 3, 2000.

1. ethereal

ethereal Junior Member

hello...
    i would really appreciate it if someone could give me some information/opinions on the BS/DO program at NYIT... how do you think the professors are? the classes? the student body? level of difficulty of classes? any feedback would be of tremendous help.... thanks! [​IMG]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrWBD

DrWBD Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Short answer: Look elsewhere if you can.

The allure of the BS/DO program at NYIT is tempting, especially if you have already decided that you really want to be an osteopathic physician.

However, the faculty of NYIT, most notably the science faculty, are (to put it kindly) not the greatest. NYIT is known primarily for its engineering program, and there isn't a lot of ground-breaking research being pursued at NYIT in the other sciences at this time.

Most BS/DO's that I know freely admitted to passing all their premed classes simply by getting copies of last year's exam (which were usually repeated verbatim every year) and by massive cheating. This results in the typically low MCAT scores of students in the program. NYCOM does not even allow BS/DO students to enter the DO program unless they meet a minimum MCAT standard, which a substantial number of the BS/DO's fail to do each year.

To be in the BS/DO program, you are also restricted to one major, a "pre-med" major. You will not receive your bachelor's degree until after your first year of NYCOM, so if you decide that maybe you want to try to apply to other schools, you will have to do it without a degree, and very few medical programs accept students without having completed a bachelor's degree, thus you are forced to go to NYCOM just to get your bachelor's.

Anyway, here is some unsolicited advice: go to a good school, find a major you like and study hard, take the MCAT, and apply to lots of programs. If you do well, NYCOM (and probably other programs as well) will gladly accept you. College should be for learning, not just a stepping stone for medical education (IMHO).

Hope you find this helpful. [​IMG]

-wanna_be_do

Disclaimers: I am not a BS/DO, but I know many of them. This post is not meant to disparage the BS/DO's who have made it to NYCOM, obviously they were and are intelligent enough to make it to medical school. This is only a criticism of what I feel is an inferior undergraduate program compared to other opportunities available.

Edit: spelling

[This message has been edited by wanna_be_do (edited 08-09-2000).]

4. etheral,

i would like to give you my input about this dilemna u are having. I too had a similar one 4 yours ago when applying to undergrad. please post your e-mail address so i can explain in detail my decision and the ultimate outcome.

melon

5. ethereal

ethereal Junior Member

hello melon :)

a million thanks to everyone for their help--but i really hope you have better news for me about the school melon! is it possible if i could e-mail my situation (it's more complicated than it seems) to you at the e-mail address in your profile?... i would feel more comfortable releasing my e-mail address to one person, not an entire message board-- i hope you understand... thanks in advance! :oops:)

[This message has been edited by ethereal (edited 08-10-2000).]