Bs in Biology Courses - SMP for gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swimm

swim. swimm. swimmm.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're fine and would say that a SMP isn't worth the money in your case.

DO NOT DO A SMP!
If you do badly in one ( 3.5 and under) you will hurt your app more than you could imagine. Please just get a day job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strongly agree with Serenade. Get a job and study hard for the MCAT

You're totally fine with a sGPA that high. Apply next year, should be one and done. You don't need straight A's in the prereqs to get in. Just make sure you do well on the MCAT and get a decent day job.

Do not do an SMP. Just take the stupid MCAT and during gap year, just get a job.....and a few dates to get school off your mind too.

a 3.7/3.6 is competitive for mid tier MD schools. if you can get a 35+ on the MCAT, you are competitive for upper-mid tier MD schools. unless you score below a 30 on the MCAT or really love the DO philosophy, there's no point in applying to DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
a 3.7/3.6 is competitive for mid tier MD schools. if you can get a 35+ on the MCAT, you are competitive for upper-mid tier MD schools. unless you score below a 30 on the MCAT or really love the DO philosophy, there's no point in applying to DO schools.

TBH with a 3.7/3.6 and a 29+ you should be more than capable of getting into a MD school pending a smart application to 20+ schools ( A lie if you're a Californian).

TBH with a 3.7/3.6 and a 29+ you should be more than capable of getting into a MD school pending a smart application to 20+ schools ( A lie if you're a Californian).

sigh...

Last edited:
thanks everyone - glad to hear that my original plan of scribing during a gap year will be just fine! My MCAT is a bit below 30 though (27 to be exact) and I'm from NJ, so it appears that DO schools are my best fit (plus - I liked the philosophy before I even got my MCAT score back)

Thanks!

Well, consider your options. You have ~6 months before the cycle starts again. To maximize your chances of staying within NJ you may want to attempt to boost your app/retake the mcat ( I highly recommend this purely on the basis that you can potentially cut your tuition in half).

If a B in Bio is a red flag, I shouldn't be here.

Reactions: 1 user