B's in both semesters Spanish? P/F?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I P/F semester 2 to protect my GPA and have an easier semester 2?

• No

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
D

deleted1040417

So I am getting a run for my money in introductory-level Spanish. I don't think I could land an A/A- and believe I will fall into the B range. I know semester 2 is going to smack me too since I just didn't really learn well enough in semester 1. If I get a B both semesters how would that look?

I will likely end up with a 3.69 GPA in the end if I get B/B+s in both semesters.

EDIT: Since Spring 2019 I have taken 70 credits of which I have earned 9 credits of A- and 57 credits of As and looks like will be about a B/B+ in 4 credit Spanish guessing same for 4 credits semester 2. I had a bad second and third semester of college (when I began biology and chemistry coursework).

EDIT 2: Should I P/F semester 2 (next semester) if it looks bad? I do need a relaxing blow off semester to focus on the MCAT and ECs next semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am getting a run for my money in introductory-level Spanish. If I get a B both semesters how would that look?
1608355350811.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You could just take them pass fail if you want. Its prob too late for this semester but you can go into next semester P/F and if thats the only class you take P/F I doubt anyone will care.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I was just worried because I was a garbage student to start off and currently falling off in the end too.
You aren't a "garbage student". Grades do not determine your worth (and even if it did, a 3.7 GPA is respectable at most schools). Sit down and figure out what went wrong this semester, and come up with a plan to turn things around for the future. Consider visiting your school's learning center for assistance and recommendations.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
You could just take them pass fail if you want. Its prob too late for this semester but you can go into next semester P/F and if thats the only class you take P/F I doubt anyone will care.
It is no longer an option at my school. Thank you though. I will consider going P/F next semester though.

So I am getting a run for my money in introductory-level Spanish. I don't think I could land an A/A- and believe I will fall into the B range. I know semester 2 is going to smack me too since I just didn't really learn well enough in semester 1. If I get a B both semesters how would that look?

I will likely end up with a 3.69 GPA in the end if I get B/B+s in both semesters.

EDIT: Since Spring 2019 I have taken 70 credits of which I have earned 9 credits of A- and 57 credits of As and looks like will be about a B/B+ in 4 credit Spanish guessing same for 4 credits semester 2. I had a bad second and third semester of college (when I began biology and chemistry coursework).

EDIT 2: Should I P/F semester 2 (next semester) if it looks bad? I do need a relaxing blow off semester to focus on the MCAT and ECs next semester.
My advice for the best way to learn Spanish is to practice, practice and practice. I would recommend using a website called TalkAbroad. You have to pay but you can have 15 or 30 min conversations with native speakers. You got this!!!!

Since when is getting a B considered “falling grades”? Bs are perfectly fine! And in Spanish, not even a prereq. If i were an admin, pass/fail scores after that many credits of As and 2 Bs would come across as laziness, or that you’re trying to hide Cs behind a “pass” veil.

Reactions: 1 users
Since when is getting a B considered “falling grades”? Bs are perfectly fine! And in Spanish, not even a prereq. If i were an admin, pass/fail scores after that many credits of As and 2 Bs would come across as laziness, or that you’re trying to hide Cs behind a “pass” veil.
I am taking a blow off semester with Spanish being my toughest course and my science is just one easy bio lab course. I just want to focus on ECs in the spring as much as I can.

Creo que tengas un problema pero no es la nota. Te recomiendo que no estreses.

Reactions: 2 users
I am taking a blow off semester with Spanish being my toughest course and my science is just one easy bio lab course. I just want to focus on ECs in the spring as much as I can.

I think many extra-curricular will be cancelled secondary to the pandemic for what it is worth. Many clinical opportunities like shadowing and scribing are vanishing. I truly wouldn't recommend volunteering in nursing homes right now as you might be an asymptomatic carrier and a threat to the patients. It is not feasible to be Covid test every day.

I think many extra-curricular will be cancelled secondary to the pandemic for what it is worth. Many clinical opportunities like shadowing and scribing are vanishing. I truly wouldn't recommend volunteering in nursing homes right now as you might be an asymptomatic carrier and a threat to the patients. It is not feasible to be Covid test every day.
I am a current scribe. We will be switching into virtual scribing in January until cases settle down, but I think it is good I have had a mixture of in-person experience at least. Research has been continuing at my institution and I have begun virtual volunteering through crisis text line. I don't think it would be a problem, but idk.

This^^^^^^^ is ALWAYS a risk with P/F. Ps won't kill you. Neither will Cs. But, Bs are perfectly respectable grades. Nothing you do here will determine your success or failure as an applicant. If I were you, I'd try to relax and go for the grade, assuming you are confident you can get at least a B. if you really think you'll be cruising for a C, then it's probably better to go P/F.

Will you have the opportunity to see how things are going before making a final decision? The risk for you is, if you started off with a crappy GPA, P/F classes do nothing to help rehabilitate it, and there is a chance adcoms will think you are hiding performance that is worse than it actually is.

I can't fathom that any school will honestly give a crap about this. B is a good grade, and like 90% of your credits have been As/A-. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

P/NP because you may get a B? I don't think it's worth it dude. A transcript with mostly A's and B's is perfectly acceptable to most respectable medical schools imo.. Your projected GPA is also still good if you take the B. You're being neurotic.

P/NP because you may get a B? I don't think it's worth it dude. A transcript with mostly A's and B's is perfectly acceptable to most respectable medical schools imo.. Your projected GPA is also still good if you take the B. You're being neurotic.
I have some Cs on my transcript from my first year. That's why I'm worried.

My professor is awesome so they curved the last exam that was destroying my grade. It still stands that I suck at Spanish though. Definitely going to try to review and practice over the break. Thank you all for your advice!