BS in Pharmaceutical Science - non-pharmD student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parklife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not planning on going to pharmacy school, I was, and that's how I got interested in pharmacy. I will be pursuing dentistry. I've had my experience in pharmacy, I worked as a pharmacy technician for about a year, shadowed for 30 hours, volunteered for a year...pharmacy is not for me.

My problem is, I still love pharmacology and drug interaction. I think it's fascinating, and I wouldn't mind studying it. I am at that point where I need to decide if I want to go the biology, chemistry, pharma sci, or other sci route.

I guess what I'm asking is, WHAT IF I wanted to use my pharma sci degree, what can you do with a BS in pharma sci? Do many people go this route? What all do you learn in this program compared to the pharmD program?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not planning on going to pharmacy school, I was, and that's how I got interested in pharmacy. I will be pursuing dentistry. I've had my experience in pharmacy, I worked as a pharmacy technician for about a year, shadowed for 30 hours, volunteered for a year...pharmacy is not for me.

My problem is, I still love pharmacology and drug interaction. I think it's fascinating, and I wouldn't mind studying it. I am at that point where I need to decide if I want to go the biology, chemistry, pharma sci, or other sci route.

I guess what I'm asking is, WHAT IF I wanted to use my pharma sci degree, what can you do with a BS in pharma sci? Do many people go this route? What all do you learn in this program compared to the pharmD program?

I have a pharmaceutical science major. Lots of opportunities in academic research and biotech industry.

Have you ever considered obtaining a PhD? Maybe research would suit you better. I honestly don't know much about the BS in pharm. sic, so I don't want to give you misleading info. But, just something that you could consider.

Have you ever considered obtaining a PhD? Maybe research would suit you better. I honestly don't know much about the BS in pharm. sic, so I don't want to give you misleading info. But, just something that you could consider.

No chance! I'm pursuing dental school after graduation. I just wanted to know a little more about the pharma BS. Pharmacists use to only have to get the BS, so I assume you learn quite a bit...still, I'm not sure.