BS/MD 7 vs 8 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gogetterr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am a BS/MD student. The program is set up to allow us to matriculate into med school after 3rd year (I am a rising junior). By the end of junior year I will very very likely have met the credit/course requirements to make this happen. My question is, assuming that is the case, is it worth it to matriculate early or should I take a gap year in place of my senior year/ potentially leave a very light load to stay for a senior year. I have an entrepreneurial spirit and would love to take time to test out some of my ideas that I have been working on before entering medical school. Advice and perspectives from current medical students/ anyone really would help tremendously, assume finances are not a factor. Thanks a ton in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have any desire to take a year off I recommend it. No reason to go straight through. You should explore your interests, have some great experiences, and start medical school refreshed and energized to become a physician.

Reactions: 1 user