BS/MD programs for B+/A- Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubster9

Crown Prince
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior in highschool and I was wondering what some BS/MD programs are that aren't super competitive like Brown and Northwestern. I get mainly A-'s with occasional B+'s. My ACT is competitive and class rank is high.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that exists. All of the BA/MD programs I've heard of are extremely competitive because everyone wants that kind of spot. You may have better luck trying for one in your home state if there is one.

Without trying to offend anyone try NEUCOM in Ohio. NEUCOM is a medical school started by a consortium of schools in Northeastern Ohio and they have a combined degree program.

G

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a list of all BS/MD programs in the US in Medical Schools Admission Requirements. See another post here about obtaining a copy of the MSAR.
Caution: most such programs are disingenuous, often leading people to believe
that once in the program, they are GUARANTEED a medical school acceptance. There is only one thing guaranteed, with no ifs, ands or buts, in this Vale of Tears: we all die someday. You must do well and meet the standards set. How well is well depends on the program. If you don't meet the standards, the guarantee is null and void. That may be somewhere in the fine print. My personal opinion is that they are primarily tools to recruit and lock in excellent students. That is a benefit to the colleges and med schools. If you are such a student, you don't need any locked in guarantees. Some of them do shorten the time in the college phase and therfore may save you money. Whether shortening undergard time is also a benefit or not is a matter of personal opinion; most students and parents do see it as another benefit.

NEOUCOM is extremely difficult to get accepted to. One of my friends went there with a 4.0 GRA and very high SAT (~1400). Also, it is a state school, which makes it even harder if you're not from Ohio.

Incidentally, I'm going to have to disagree with the person above who said "Everybody want to go to a 6 year program." There's no way in hell I would have rushed through college. It was the best four years of my life (thus far), and it was hugely important because it shaped me into the person I am today (experiences like spending a semester abroad were amazing)! These experiences would have only been rushed, and truncated by a BS/MD program.

Hey, you have the rest of your life to practice medicine, why rush through the formative, exciting, and just plain fun part of your life? I guess I just don't get it.

Mango
MS-1
Missing the innocence of college every day...

Hello, all -I am a senior at NEOUCOM - and yes, I will have completed the program in six years (there are quite a few of us who decide to take more time, either extra years in college or in med school for various and sundry reasons.) I don't know how competitive it is to get in now (remember, I started in 1995) but I can tell you that there are a total of 105 undergraduate students taken each year at 3 separate state campuses (Kent, Akron, and Youngstown), all of which have a conditional acceptance to the medical school (NEOUCOM), which is a regular 4-year allopathic medical college. When I interviewed in the spring of my senior year, I was told that there were about 1000 applicants - most but not all from Ohio. I think our average SAT score was 1200+. Most of us had already accumulated college credit, either via AP exams or by taking classes while in high school, by the time we started in June of 1995. (Yes, we started in the summer!) Doing AP or college classes makes life much easier, although I did not find the undergraduate portion particularly "killer," although you do spend at least 2 summers in school. Med school, however, like all medical schools, is another story entirely....
I can ramble on about this forever, so
please feel free to email me if you have any particular questions I might be able to answer.

My sister applied to Brown, Northwestern, and a few others. These programs are extremely competitive to get into (especially for California applicants). She got a 1550 and 1590 on the SAT, had a 4.6 GPA, and got a perfect score on the ACT. The only interview she got was for Northwestern.

Originally posted by gower:

Caution: most such programs are disingenuous, often leading people to believe
that once in the program, they are GUARANTEED a medical school acceptance. There is only one thing guaranteed, with no ifs, ands or buts, in this Vale of Tears: we all die someday. You must do well and meet the standards set. How well is well depends on the program. If you don't meet the standards, the guarantee is null and void. That may be somewhere in the fine print. My personal opinion is that they are primarily tools to recruit and lock in excellent students. That is a benefit to the colleges and med schools. If you are such a student, you don't need any locked in guarantees. •

You would be surprised how many high school *hot shots* get shot down during their freshman/sophomore years in the hard sciences and engineering programs out there.

Realize, most of the BA/MD programs expect their students to hold a 3.0 or 3.2 over their college semesters whereas the normal premed could have a coronary if he had below a 3.3 in any semester.