BS Psych + MA I/O Psych vs. MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misspsyduck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to share my situation. I freshly graduated college with a BS in Psych. After these years of soul searching and figuring out what I am and not good at, I realized that being a PRACTITIONER in the healthcare industry isn't really for me. Needless to say, I'm one of those girls who have the typical Asian parents who push their kids to be a MD... or PharmD as a last resort :p. Anyway, I think I would ultimately like to do some upper level HR management at a hospital or healthcare setting.

I am aware that getting a graduate degree would be very beneficial for this matter. Since I got my BS in Psych, I am strongly considering a MA/MS in I/O Psych. My parents have shown their disgust at my interest and say that I will have to be on my own if I decide not to be a doctor. I have heard time and time again that the Psych field has a negative bias about the lack of jobs and low pay. Honestly, I do want something that pays well and has great job security... and I'm hoping that I/O would fulfill those criteria. Can someone fill me in on this? :)

Since I will be on my own, I think I might have to work full time and pursue a Masters online. However, I plan on enrolling in a land-based school (i.e. CSU, K.State, Bakers College, Austin Peay State U) instead of a for-profit one (i.e. Walden, Capella, etc.). Do you guys think that this will be a wise decision? Would employers look down on it?

Another degree option for me to pursue is an accelerated MBA program at a university near my house. The school offers night classes, which would be ideal for me when I am working full time. However, I have read many forums stating that too many people get MBA's to the point that it doesn't look "special" to employers, that you should get a MBA at a highly reputable school, and that you should wait until you have business-related experience before you get a MBA. Also, would someone a BS Psych + MBA still be able to do the same things someone with a MA/MS in I/O Psych?

I look forward to hear some feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are going for an I/O masters....only go to a traditional university, and make sure that university has a strong program. You may not need to attend a Top 10 program, but you need to attend a known and respected program if you hope to land a good job in the corp. world. You'll be expected to take a ton of stats and research classes, and mentorship matters. An online program will be a joke, will be expensive, and will not help you land a job.

An MBA is only really useful if you go to a top 5-10 program. To get into such a program you need 2-3 years of business experience at a top employer. It can be quite cut-throat, and even at a top program you'll have to scrap for a good job. MBA programs put out HUNDREDS of newly minted MBAs per year, which floods the market. You can go to a mid-tier program, but they are much more of a crapshoot, and you'll be competing against people who went to a better school and/or have more real-world experience. These are only worthwhile if you are staying in the area, can use it primarily for networking, and are willing to work harder and smarter than your classmates.

Some MBA programs have good "niche" training. For example, the University of Maryland has an excellent MBA/Information Systems program, typically top 5 in the country. If you can identify a program that is highly ranked in your niche area, then this may be an avenue. Any good program will be very selective.

Last edited:
If you are going for an I/O masters....only go to a traditional university, and make sure that university has a strong program. You may not need to attend a Top 10 program, but you need to attend a known and respected program if you hope to land a good job in the corp. world. You'll be expected to take a ton of stats and research classes, and mentorship matters. An online program will be a joke, will be expensive, and will not help you land a job.

An MBA is only really useful if you go to a top 5-10 program. To get into such a program you need 2-3 years of business experience at a top employer. It can be quite cut-throat, and even at a top program you'll have to scrap for a good job. MBA programs put out HUNDREDS of newly minted MBAs per year, which floods the market. You can go to a mid-tier program, but they are much more of a crapshoot, and you'll be competing against people who went to a better school and/or have more real-world experience. These are only worthwhile if you are staying in the area, can use it primarily for networking, and are willing to work harder and smarter than your classmates.

Some MBA programs have good "niche" training. For example, the University of Maryland has an excellent MBA/Information Systems program, typically top 5 in the country. If you can identify a program that is highly ranked in your niche area, then this may be an avenue. Any good program will be very selective.

Thanks for the advice. I will be attending a traditional uni, but just through their online program. I hear CSU and K State are well regarded, not sure about Austin Peay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I will be attending a traditional uni, but just through their online program. I hear CSU and K State are well regarded, not sure about Austin Peay.

Online? I guess I have a hard time picturing this given the course material is not really conducive to online learning. Have you looked into how this would work? Is there any mentorship during the training? Do they have a thesis or project? Just questions I'd ask before handing over a chunk of change.

Like Therapist said...be careful with online programs. They do not have a very good reputation within the field and the I/O field is so small it really doesn't matter if it is a traditional uni, people will still know it is an online program.

A masters degree in I/O is very practitioner focused and almost every class has 1-2 large projects. I think it would be difficult developing a simulation assessment center, doing a thorough job analysis, etc in an online format. Especially considering most of them are traditionally group projects to simulate how they would happen in the real world.

That said of the list you have Colorado State is your best bet. Kurt Kraiger is in charge of both the PhD and masters program there (I believe) and he is a top name in the field. He is president of SIOP this year.

I have not really heard much about K State and Austin Peay. I usually get my gauge for a program by their presence at SIOP and I think I might see 1-2 people a year with K State tags and I do not believe I have ever seen anyone with an Austin Peay name tag.

And finally, again like Therapist said I wouldn't bother paying for an MBA unless you are in a top 10-20 MBA program. It is just a completely over-saturated degree right now. I think a masters in I/O psych puts you in a better position to find a job than a MBA, but that is just my opinion.

GL with your decision and let me know if I can answer any questions.