Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Some questions:

1. What gross and NET ATP yields for glycolysis and Krebs cycle for MCAT purposes? Is it 32 or 36 Net ATP?

2. what is the BIO to OCHEM question ratio for BS section?
Is there a trend towards less ochem still?

Lastly are the verbal passages more tolerable, with more current passage topics?

Thanks!

Drexon

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2007
Southern California
Status
Medical Student
Some questions:

1. What gross and NET ATP yields for glycolysis and Krebs cycle for MCAT purposes? Is it 32 or 36 Net ATP?

Glycolysis and Krebs cycle does not yield 32 or 36 net ATP...
glycolysis yields a net of 2 ATP ( 4 ATP total - 2 ATP for input energy) per glucose molecule
Kreb cycle doesn't really yield ATP but rather GTP but can be considered ATP .. 1 "ATP" per turn of the cycle. Thus 2 turns of the cycle for 1 molecule of glucose.. Which means 2 ATP from krebs cycle.
Glycolysis + Krebs = 4 ATP net per 1 molecule of glucose

75% bio and 25% Ochem is the general consensus.

Lastly are the verbal passages more tolerable, with more current passage topics?

More tolerable? It really depends some people have a tough time on readability and it'll vary from person to person. Thus I can't really comment on this.

Thanks!
Best of luck

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
2 ATP from Glycolysis, 2 ATP from Kreb's; the 32 ATP comes from the ETC.

eez

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Some questions:

Thanks!
Some books say 30, some say 34, some say 36

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Some books say 30, some say 34, some say 36
Exactly. The amount is totally dependent upon what books you are reading. EK, I think says 32, so while you're reading that one, you're producing 32 net ATP. TBR says 36,if I remember correctly...
man, if you want an energy boost, you know who to go to!

Oct 21, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If I remember right it varies depending on whether NADH or FADH2 transport the electrons produced during glycolysis across the cell membrane to the electron transport chain. I don't think there's one right answer here.

rem6775

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's all in semantics. Completely:

1. ATP count from glucose to pyruvate via aerobic glycolysis is a net gain of 2 ATP PLUS 2 NADH, which yields EITHER 6 ATP (using malate-aspartate shuttle) or 4 ATP (using the glycerol phosphate shuttle). This give s a total of either 6 or 8 ATP.

2. ATP from conversion of pyruvate to acetyl CoA via pyruvate dehydrogenase is 6 ATP (via 2 NADH).

3. ATP from the citric acid cycle is 24 ATP (6 NADH = 18 ATP; 2 FADH2 = 4 ATP; 2 GTP = 2 ATP).

4. Thus the total ATP for complete oxidation of one molecule of glucose is 36 or 38 ATP depending on what shuttle is used. In general, the malate-aspartate shuttle is used in the liver and heart (38) and the glycerol phosphate shuttle is used in muscle (36).

Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys! Cellular respiration was one of the first things i reviewed, so I'm a little rusty with the numbers. I just remember 36 ATP being an important (net?).

For Verbal, what I mean by tolerable is, is there a trend towards more current passage subjects (i.e. technology, media, pop culture, business etc), vs art history, philosophy?