bsBiology to BSN to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedchild27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am in my last year of undergrad and intend on working in healthcare. My cGPA is currently a 3.4, sGPA at a 3.3, and my cGPA has been increasing after a rough first year (I've worked 20-30 hours/ week throughout my undergrad career). I had intended on applying to PA schools, so I work as a CNA (have for 1.5 years, have 1500 hours of direct patient care and counting). Once I got into the nursing field, I fell in love (or so I thought). I have just finished applying to Accelerated BSN programs. From there, I plan to work as a nurse for a few years and then either go for my NP, DNP, or possibly apply to med school from there. I had thought that I got rid of the idea of medical school years ago, but it just keeps coming back into my mind as a "what if" sort of thought. I have shadowed (40 hours MD, 16 hours PA) and have talked with a couple individuals in the nursing field as well as physicians. I'm just thrown off because I thought that I was set on nursing, but medical school refuses to leave my mind.

My questions are:
1. Would getting my BSN be a useful path? I genuinely enjoy the field of nursing and like the idea of working, as well as having the option to go NP or medical school in the future.
2. Would going for my BSN be harmful in any way if I were to apply to medical school?

I know that the non-traditional forum may not be the best place for this, but I don't plan on applying to medical school (if I do) for another 4 years or so.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.