BSc Pharm or Doc of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gochi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:( Hey,

Anyone confused on which profession to choose, optometry or pharm.

Personally my GPA is too low for Pharm, because there arent that many courses for pharmacy, whereas in optometry there are alot of third year courses, immunology math... so that could give me a chance to improve my gpa.

But, practicing as a pharmacist would be easier than practicing as a optometrist. Optometrist work is more hands on, but It looks easy, I think:)

Any opinions ?

And plus, if you are able to practice Optometry, you are able to call your self a Doctor :)

What about dentistry ???

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not too familiar with the other professions, but I just thought I'd say it before others do...for students who want to practice pharmacy, they need a Doctor of Pharmacy now. They used to be able to get a bachelor's degree and practice pharmacy but now PharmD's are required of new students.

Members don't see this ad :)
gochi,

Try to read/search through the dentistry/pharm/optometry forums we have here. You can also perform a search on pharm vs. dentistry (there's lots of those) or pharm vs optometry. Have you spoken to any of these health professionals about their job? What they like the most, what they don't like, if there are any options to specialize, working environment, job outlook? Most importantly you need to gain some experience--work or volunteer at a pharmacy, dentist or optometrist's office.

None of these are neccessarily "easier" than the other. It's a matter of whether or not you will LIKE doing what they do--do you see yourself in their shoes 40 years down the line??

On one level, I think you have to ask yourself about your interests. In my opinion, the profession you take up should be one you're truly interested in so that the time and work you invest in it won't seem as painful as if you hated it. What are your scientific interests? What subjects make you say, "wow, what else is there about this?"

On another level, ask yourself what type of lifestyle you want. Do you want to have your own business or work for others? Do you want a 9-5 job or have a varied schedule? Do you want a demanding job or one that will allow you to pursue other interests? I think there are a lot of other threads, so you can definitely search around SDN for some answers.

:( Hey,

Anyone confused on which profession to choose, optometry or pharm.

Personally my GPA is too low for Pharm, because there arent that many courses for pharmacy, whereas in optometry there are alot of third year courses, immunology math... so that could give me a chance to improve my gpa.

But, practicing as a pharmacist would be easier than practicing as a optometrist. Optometrist work is more hands on, but It looks easy, I think:)

Any opinions ?

What about dentistry ???
And plus, if you are able to practice Optometry, you are able to call your self a Doctor :)

Thanks guys

By reading this, i can tell you have done very LITTLE research about pharmacy, optometry, and dentistry. Three are total different paths of careers...

As of being called, "Doc"...again, why people are so obssessed with being called, "Doc"? It is NOT a requirement....I, in fact, don't call every MD "Doc" at my hospital. But I don't call them "hey You" either. If i need the chart of a patient...I will come straight to the MD and ask, " Can i borrow that chart after you are done with it?" See? There is no "doc" in that question. Calling someone "doc" also means a. You respect them...a lot b. You feel they're above you c.You are a *****

In retail setting, if an MD calls in a new prescription, Ibut here is the conversation flow:

Me: "Patient name, please..."
MD:.......
Me: "Can i have the pt's birthday?"
MD:........
Me: "What's the medication, please?"
see? THere is no "doc" in any of my statements. YES, I"m bold and cocky. So what? My job is done, don't have to call anyone doc. DOn't give a rat azz about it...Who cares? If u're good, u're good.

I tried really hard to look up but still have not yet found any policy/procedure/guidelines saying that "YOu have to call the medical doctor , the dentist, the optometrist the title "Doctor" or else u'll be fired!!!" .

So, as long as my job is still secured. I am just being fine. As long as i don't make their job harder, i'm still being just fine. I don't expect anyone call me Doctor either though i have a Pharm.D degree...soon. Psh! Not worth it. I work for money, for myself, for the patients. Period.

By reading this, i can tell you have done very LITTLE research about pharmacy, optometry, and dentistry. Three are total different paths of careers...

As of being called, "Doc"...again, why people are so obssessed with being called, "Doc"? It is NOT a requirement....I, in fact, don't call every MD "Doc" at my hospital. But I don't call them "hey You" either. If i need the chart of a patient...I will come straight to the MD and ask, " Can i borrow that chart after you are done with it?" See? There is no "doc" in that question. Calling someone "doc" also means a. You respect them...a lot b. You feel they're above you c.You are a *****

In retail setting, if an MD calls in a new prescription, Ibut here is the conversation flow:

Me: "Patient name, please..."
MD:.......
Me: "Can i have the pt's birthday?"
MD:........
Me: "What's the medication, please?"
see? THere is no "doc" in any of my statements. YES, I"m bold and cocky. So what? My job is done, don't have to call anyone doc. DOn't give a rat azz about it...Who cares? If u're good, u're good.

I tried really hard to look up but still have not yet found any policy/procedure/guidelines saying that "YOu have to call the medical doctor , the dentist, the optometrist the title "Doctor" or else u'll be fired!!!" .

So, as long as my job is still secured. I am just being fine. As long as i don't make their job harder, i'm still being just fine. I don't expect anyone call me Doctor either though i have a Pharm.D degree...soon. Psh! Not worth it. I work for money, for myself, for the patients. Period.

:thumbup: excellent!

Hehe sdn1977

I didnt know that Pharamcy now requires a Doctors degree!! As far as interests goes, I really hate bio, chemistry is pretty fun, but I have not talked to any pharmcists or any optometrists, yet.

I thought all pharmacists do is give the pre-made prescription to the patient.
And optometrist just "examine" eyes, doesnt seem that though.
Their is more of a responsiblity in being a pharmacist, I think.

Thanks

Hehe sdn1977

Calling someone "doc" also means a. You respect them...a lot b. You feel they're above you c.You are a *****

Thanks

I dont really understand option C.

i have considered between the two options before but chose pharmacy. it's in demand and will be for a long time. optometrists make slightly more, their jobs are lighter than pharmacists, but everyone is getting lasik. i agree with going in whatever you are more interested in and you feel that you have a potential to grow. besides, even if optometry requires a lower gpa to get into (as you have implied), there are also a lot less schools = chances.

optometrists make slightly more, their jobs are lighter than pharmacists, but everyone is getting lasik.

if this is ur understanding of optometry, then u are patently misinformed.

it's like saying if we teach everyone in grade school to count pills, then there would be no need for pharmacists.