BSS Books vs. CD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone out there tell me if these are the same questions. I have never seen the books, i only have the CD. How many books are there, and are the tests in 50 q blocks? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks idiopathic, are these exams freakin hard or what, i've taken 3 and averaged a 60 even though i got a 72 on q-bank, whats up with that - what have you heard regarding the similarity of the actual exam between these two preps. thanks

60s means that you have potential to rock step I.. keep up the good work.. those questions are the best why.. because people usually make alot of mistakes on them.. and that means that people are pissed and checking their mistakes again and again. unlike Kaplan materials, which offer you false confidence of scoring high and feeling good about yourself.. you think " wow I answered that question right! well I dont have time to check the explanation" you better check that explanation even if you get it right.. Kaplan is good stuff believe me.. but make sure you do it thoroughly.. and BSS rocks.. but I hope that you have ample time to complete it of go through the majority of it.. then it is really really worthwhile.. good luck..

Members don't see this ad :)
They are tough, no doubt. Its funny because when Goljan lectures to us, and discusses USMLE "buzzwords" and clinical presentations, I can go home and read BSS and find the exact same presentation of a viral illness or other pathology. So, I know the correlations are there. The things like "cave explorer develops respiratory complications" or "bridge painter presents with labored breathing". Things that at first seem daunting, but when you recognize the material, it just seems like another question. THats why I think BSS is good, it really hits hard the classic stuff.

do the books or CD get updated yearly? how old of an edition would still be appropriate to use?

you will find some things that are out of date, like some drugs that arent used anymore and some stuff that seems out of place, but you should also recognize those things as being out-of-place. The drugs are familiar, and it prompts me to try and remember why they may not be around anymore, and remember why the new one is better, etc. But 98% of the questions are hard and still good.