BSW or BSW & Diaspora studies as a combined honors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benyjets23

Adventuring MD Wannabe
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am a 34 year old guy and am just now (due to various reasons) planning to apply to University with the hopes of studying for my BSW and (assuming my goals do not change) eventually an MSW as well.

As I think about my future, the idea of pursuing social work and hopefully applying it in an international context excites me or at least in a way that is not stereotypically north american. As to what specifically that will look like, I have no idea as I am still in the process of researching and finding out more about the Social Work profession... It could be trying to work with a humanitarian aid organization like Doctors With Out Borders or working with refugees in my home country of Canada. At this point I am unclear on the precise details for obvious reasons. I am also open minded that as I am taking my BSW that I may decide to focus on something I haven't even thought of yet.

Here is my question, the University Of Windsor Ontario (the University I am applying to for geographical reasons) offers an Honors BSW. They also offer a combined Honors in Social Work with Women's studies, Disability studies and Diaspora studies.. Considering my interests above, I am considering the combined honors in social work and diaspora studies.

What is your opinion of the value of the BSW alone vs BSW as a combined honors with diaspora studies? I have also considered the idea of forgetting the BSW and pursuing a BA with a double major in Psychology and Political Science which would also give me, with careful selection of courses an international perspective on things and then pursuing the full 2 year MSW afterwards?

(Due to my age, I am hesitant about the double major BA, as it would add an extra year of studying if I opt to pursue an MSW as well. By studying for the BSW, I would get advanced standing and would only have to take a 1 year MSW.)

Or do you believe that the BSW (and then an MSW) by itself would be sufficient on it's own f I were to decide to pursue something in International Social work?

I am sorry if my question reveals my confusion or ignorance of the social work profession.

Thanks
Peace

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your question but do you have a bachelors degree as of now? Because if so that is usually enough to apply to an MSW program and that would save you a lot of time (you might need some prerequisites).

Thanks for the reply and question... Unfortunately I don't have an undergrad degree yet, so I am starting from the beginning in this process.