BU AS versus Tufts IS? Which one would you guys choose and why? Need some serious advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one will you choose?

• Total voters

Hazel-Smize

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got the offer from Tufts and interviewed at BU and still waiting. Trying to pick one. Here's some of the information about these two programs.

1. Tufts program is 29 months long. Starts in Jan 2019 and you graduate in May 2021.
BU program is 24 months long. Starts in late July 2019 and you graduate in August 2021.

2. Tufts cost of attendance is about 60K higher than BU.

3. Tufts class size ~ 35. BU class size ~ 85

4. Tufts clinical time ~ 23 months. BU clinical time ~ 13 months.

In terms of faculty and students, I only went for 1 day interview, I could not tell much and it can be pretty subjective. They both have Group Practice Model, which is supposed to help you meet your graduation requirements at least. They are both in Boston downtown area, Tufts is slightly more accessible by subway. BU building is currently under renovation and expansion, not sure it's bad thing or good thing.

I think my main question is that does Tufts worth the extra money and time? I want to stay in Boston, so these are basically my only options.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated! Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

So I got the offer from Tufts and interviewed at BU and still waiting. Trying to pick one. Here's some of the information about these two programs.

1. Tufts program is 29 months long. Starts in Jan 2019 and you graduate in May 2021.
BU program is 24 months long. Starts in late July 2019 and you graduate in August 2021.

In terms of faculty and students, I only went for 1 day interview, I could not tell much and it can be pretty subjective. They both have Group Practice Model, which is supposed to help you meet your graduation requirements at least. They are both in Boston downtown area, Tufts is slightly more accessible by subway. BU building is currently under renovation and expansion, not sure it's bad thing or good thing.

I think my main question is that does Tufts worth the extra money and time? I want to stay in Boston, so these are basically my only options.

With no doubt I would say Tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any specific reason? Thank you in advance.

Mine was on Sep 20th.
Tufts has less number of candidates means less competion to get patients, more clinical experience.. In BU you are in labs in your first year.

Tufts has less number of candidates means less competion to get patients, more clinical experience.. In BU you are in labs in your first year.
If you dont kind can you tell how many candidates interviewed with you and how was your experience?

But Tufts has more 4 year DMD students. And both schools, in my understanding, group international students with DMD students in the clinic, so in the end I think they have similar number of students in the clinic seeing patients. But still, 2 year is better than 1 year.

There were 10 candidates in total. It was very chill, the interview was conversation style and faculty and staff at BU seem very nice.

But Tufts has more 4 year DMD students. And both schools, in my understanding, group international students with DMD students in the clinic, so in the end I think they have similar number of students in the clinic seeing patients. But still, 2 year is better than 1 year.

There were 10 candidates in total. It was very chill, the interview was conversation style and faculty and staff at BU seem very nice.
I would say tufts. I am from Boston so I know in terms of reputation and patients.
But go for what you like the most. I am not eligible for Tufts to apply else my preference would be Tufts only.
I am also asking about the BU interview from you, do know if the October invites are done?

I would say tufts. I am from Boston so I know in terms of reputation and patients.
But go for what you like the most. I am not eligible for Tufts to apply else my preference would be Tufts only.
I am also asking about the BU interview from you, do know if the October invites are done?

I have no idea. Just for reference, my friend got interview invitation for Oct 11th on Sep 13th. That is all I know.

If you ask any professor from outside of Boston they would say Tufts. Tufts has a prestige . Even for local dmd students preference is more towards tufts. Please read some forums for tufts vs BU for local dmd students. BU is the only dental school which offers only one year of clinical education for international dentists. In BU first year is preclinical and 2nd year is clinical . Rest of all the schools like Colarado, California schools all offers two year program but clinical start right away. So in BU you are at disadvantage as compared to all schools not only Tufts. Also I personally like the idea of 29 month program rather than 2 years. Because if you look at the curriculum it is more thorough in 29 month program rather than 2 years.

If you ask any professor from outside of Boston they would say Tufts. Tufts has a prestige . Even for local dmd students preference is more towards tufts. Please read some forums for tufts vs BU for local dmd students. BU is the only dental school which offers only one year of clinical education for international dentists. In BU first year is preclinical and 2nd year is clinical . Rest of all the schools like Colarado, California schools all offers two year program but clinical start right away. So in BU you are at disadvantage as compared to all schools not only Tufts. Also I personally like the idea of 29 month program rather than 2 years. Because if you look at the curriculum it is more thorough in 29 month program rather than 2 years.
Thank you very much. It makes a lot of sense. I think I am also leaning towards Tufts, just trying to justify the money difference lol.

My mentor/boss graduated from Columbia. He always tell me if I have the chance to get into a less costly program, I should go to that one. According to him "We can only learn so much from the school, what matters is your clinical skills. In the real world, regardless where you graduated from, you can be hired and be fired base on your clinical skills and how you present yourself". I will apply next cycle, can you please kindly share your profile and Congratulations :)

I had specialty training in ortho;
1 year research;
3.6 GPA;
TOEFL 112;
A few months of dental assistant experience in America.

Good luck.

Any work experiences from your home country?

1 year research;
3.6 GPA;
TOEFL 112;

Good luck.
rj

1 year research;
3.6 GPA;
TOEFL 112;

Good luck.
Hello!
Could you tell me from where did you convert your grades from your home country to the US grading system to calculate your GPA accurate? is it from Scholaro Grade Conversion ? Also which is you country and what was the most common grade in your diploma?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited: