BU changes their deposit due date (Help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prayerfulMD_MPH2009

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Anyone familiar with BU, please respond.

I am holding on to 2 acceptances, including BU (2nd choice) and another school and 1 waitlist (top choice).

Here is my problem BU basically changed their deposit due date from June 1st to May 15. They want a non-refundable deposit of $500.00 to hold a place or else you are off their accepted list.

My dilemma is that I am still holding on to the idea that I may get off the waitlist at another school and they may call me shortly after the may 15 deadline. Here are my options:

1. Give BU the $$ and the other school calls me I will lose 500.00 bucks.
2. The other school does not call me, I end up with BU, which is still a good choice for me.
3. Hold a place at another school that does not require money until later and hope to get off the waitlist on time.
4 The other school does not call me and I miss out on the opportunity of being at BU and matriculate at that other school?

What would you do? :confused:

Thanks ,

Members don't see this ad.

Gerry_Doc2b said:
Hey Guys,
My dilemma is that I am still holding on to the idea that I may get off the waitlist at another school and they may call me shortly after the may 15 deadline. Here are my options:

1. Give BU the $$ and the other school calls me I will lose 500.00 bucks.
2. The other school does not call me, I end up with BU, which is still a good choice for me.
3. Hold a place at another school that does not require money until later and hope to get off the waitlist on time.
4 The other school does not call me and I miss out on the opportunity of being at BU and matriculate at that other school?

Logically: Don't consider the $500. You are holding acceptances to two schools, pick the one you would rather attend. If it is BU then drop the other one. Make arrangements to wire transfer the $500 on May 14th or call BU and see if you can get an extension of the deposit date while you wait to hear from other schools.

wow...i thought the 100 dollar secondary was bad....
but 500 dollar non-refundable...

money making machine that place is.
yeah if you can afford the $$, and BU is your 2nd choice which means you hold it in high regard...pay it up.
a small price to pay to have an opportunity to go to your 1st choice school.

Members don't see this ad :)
500 is bad? I paid 2000 to western university/COMP ;) (non-refundable!)

After May 15, don't all tuition deposits become non-refundable? BU just happens to charge an arm and leg for that privilege. That's just terrible that BU has such a high deposit requirement. I hear that BU also for the most part takes people's secondary fees and quickly rejects them pre-interview, taking their hard-earned $100. I think that BU has discovered a little gold mine called desperate pre-meds and is milking it for as much as they can. That's simply unconscionable.

mackaikai said:
500 is bad? I paid 2000 to western university/COMP ;) (non-refundable!)
I paid $2000 for TUCOM and $2000 for COMP both nonrefundable. The bad thing is, I may end up not going to either. :eek:

That's the way the cookie crumbles...

Adapt said:
I paid $2000 for TUCOM and $2000 for COMP both nonrefundable. The bad thing is, I may end up no going to either. :eek:

That's the way the cookie crumbles...

Where're you going Slickness....I mean Adapt? Philly?

skypilot said:
Where're you going Slickness....I mean Adapt? Philly?
:laugh: Nah Philly's not my style. I'm still waiting for a decision from Loma Linda hence the dilemma.

I'm going to send the deposit as late a possible, and if I hear before then from any CA school, I will stop payment on the check. Is that messed up? :confused: