Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

BU changes their deposit due date (Help)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by prayerfulMD_MPH2009, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. prayerfulMD_MPH2009

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2003
    Messages:
    52
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hey Guys,

    Anyone familiar with BU, please respond.

    I am holding on to 2 acceptances, including BU (2nd choice) and another school and 1 waitlist (top choice).

    Here is my problem BU basically changed their deposit due date from June 1st to May 15. They want a non-refundable deposit of $500.00 to hold a place or else you are off their accepted list.

    My dilemma is that I am still holding on to the idea that I may get off the waitlist at another school and they may call me shortly after the may 15 deadline. Here are my options:

    1. Give BU the $$ and the other school calls me I will lose 500.00 bucks.
    2. The other school does not call me, I end up with BU, which is still a good choice for me.
    3. Hold a place at another school that does not require money until later and hope to get off the waitlist on time.
    4 The other school does not call me and I miss out on the opportunity of being at BU and matriculate at that other school?

    What would you do? :confused:

    Thanks ,
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. skypilot

    skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2002
    Messages:
    2,323
    Likes Received:
    79
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Logically: Don't consider the $500. You are holding acceptances to two schools, pick the one you would rather attend. If it is BU then drop the other one. Make arrangements to wire transfer the $500 on May 14th or call BU and see if you can get an extension of the deposit date while you wait to hear from other schools.
     
  4. jlee9531

    jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2002
    Messages:
    5,470
    Likes Received:
    8
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    wow...i thought the 100 dollar secondary was bad....
    but 500 dollar non-refundable...

    money making machine that place is.
    yeah if you can afford the $$, and BU is your 2nd choice which means you hold it in high regard...pay it up.
    a small price to pay to have an opportunity to go to your 1st choice school.
     
  5. mackaikai

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2002
    Messages:
    476
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    500 is bad? I paid 2000 to western university/COMP ;) (non-refundable!)
     
  6. oldtimer

    oldtimer Not a blind man
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2003
    Messages:
    407
    Likes Received:
    0
    After May 15, don't all tuition deposits become non-refundable? BU just happens to charge an arm and leg for that privilege. That's just terrible that BU has such a high deposit requirement. I hear that BU also for the most part takes people's secondary fees and quickly rejects them pre-interview, taking their hard-earned $100. I think that BU has discovered a little gold mine called desperate pre-meds and is milking it for as much as they can. That's simply unconscionable.
     
  7. Adapt

    Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,048
    Likes Received:
    6
    I paid $2000 for TUCOM and $2000 for COMP both nonrefundable. The bad thing is, I may end up not going to either. :eek:

    That's the way the cookie crumbles...
     
  8. skypilot

    skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2002
    Messages:
    2,323
    Likes Received:
    79
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Where're you going Slickness....I mean Adapt? Philly?
     
  9. Adapt

    Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,048
    Likes Received:
    6
    :laugh: Nah Philly's not my style. I'm still waiting for a decision from Loma Linda hence the dilemma.
     
  10. Spitting Camel

    Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    Messages:
    1,847
    Likes Received:
    1
    I'm going to send the deposit as late a possible, and if I hear before then from any CA school, I will stop payment on the check. Is that messed up? :confused:
     

Share This Page