BU DENTAL PEOPLE - Really important question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiTmAn

Kit
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey sdners!..i really appreciate ur help on this one!...Whoever one of u's have attended or are going to attend BU dental this upcoming year will know exactly what im talkin about ! ..the EXCEL program starts a mnth before ..from july 1st to july 25th..its a 1000$ for it and since im outa state i m prolly gonna dorm with someone ...so 700$ more...lemme know if I should do this..b.c the orientation isnt until july30th....this EXCEL program is optional but has been rated good "as the admissions office told me" so..can u guys lemme know if u did attend this or kno neone who attended this program and is it worth it? THNX !!

Members don't see this ad.

If you got in the regular way with a science gpa +3.00, you should do fine without excel. If you got in because of special interview, special circumstance, or special admission, then you should go sign up. Otherwise, a good long vacation will probably help more.

EXCEL really has nothing to do with dental school academics. Most of the folks that I know who've participated, veiwed it as a way to get acquainted with life in Boston as well as a chance to find a suitable apartment, roommates and/or even socialize with their new classmates before the year really gets going. If it wasnt mandatory for you to attend then dont stress yourself if you decide not to go. Your absence wont hurt you from an academic point of view.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh thanx u guys!!...i m thinkin about goin which way i would jus have a way to meet the ppl and find an apt..but it is bout 1600 $ outa my pocket..so i dontknow.eh oh well. we'll c..THNX

For me, the EXCEL was all about assimilating into the city.

It's better to arrive in Boston before school starts for the best deals in apartments. People who arrive the weekend before orientation week get caught in the rush hour of last-minute search for a place to live, along with students from other dozen institutions in the city.

Also, no one in my EXCEL group took the program seriously, even the professors will tell you that. We pretty much went out as a group on regular basis, to discover the day and night life of Boston, and get the chance to meet and know your future classmates and roommates.

Overall, I would do it again if I had the chance, based on my experience.

For me, the EXCEL was all about assimilating into the city.

It's better to arrive in Boston before school starts for the best deals in apartments. People who arrive the weekend before orientation week get caught in the rush hour of last-minute search for a place to live, along with students from other dozen institutions in the city.

Also, no one in my EXCEL group took the program seriously, even the professors will tell you that. We pretty much went out as a group on regular basis, to discover the day and night life of Boston, and get the chance to meet and know your future classmates and roommates.

Overall, I would do it again if I had the chance, based on my experience.

Yeah what he said. My sentiments exactly :D

I got in for next year too, but my sister's having her first baby like right around that time, so there's no way I'm going to miss that! haha...otherwise, if you are really concerned about seeing how the classes are run, go for it, but it's probably a review of everything you've already learned.

sounds good..man im still 50/50 on going or not...i guess by the end of june..i can decide..atleast I can make a better decision now after ur guys' help..thanks

I participated in the excel program and I think it is worth it. It was nice to come to Boston, a place that you will call home for four years, and get to know your surroundings. I found a palce to live, found a roomate also doing excel, and was able to form close bonds with the people participating. Once school starts, you will not have as much free time as you like, so it was nice to get used to the little things before the real work began. Where to shop, unwind, study, local joints to check out and just enjoy the city. Just my two cents.

EXCEL is complete WASTE of time and money.
Enjoy your time off before dental school starts.

I second that. Save your money and fly somewhere cool. Last chance at freedom people. Boston will still be waiting for you in the fall and you'll have plenty of time to meet your classmates during the 8 hours a day, five days a week class schedule you'll soon be taking.

P.s. When they try to sell you the DVD instead of the books.... SKIP THE DVD.