1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

BU..final decision..finally!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sonigee, Feb 25, 2002.

1. sonigee

sonigee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys..i have been debating back and forth b/n BU & NYU and finally visited BU this weekend and I love the school/facilities etc..the city itself is ok..major reconstruction and stuff, but the dental school is awesome..so goodbye NYU :( and hello BU :) any classmates out there?
    ~ Sonigee

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Viraj

Viraj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Aman, I knew it that you will choose BU over NYU, once you go there. I went to both of the schools for my interviews, and definatley like BU a lot better than NYU. With NYU, there are a lot of students in the program, that almost throw me off, as I think it is better to have good student-professor relationship, and I don't think it is quite possible in NYU. The facilities are almost comparable in both the schools. The location also is a big plus for BU as it is situated in a very nice area of Boston.
    But NYU students, I am not saying that NYU is bad, its just my feeling that if I have personalized attention from the professors, I would do a lot better than without having it. Definately there is a great plus in having a huge patient pool in NYU, but I think is you could get patients anywhere and everywhere, you just have to be polite and appealing to them.
    But please don't take any offense about my comments about NYU.
    Viraj

3. sonigee

sonigee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Viraj..did you decide on Tufts for sure, or are you still waiting for responses and interviews from the other schools?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DMD DOC

DMD DOC Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sonigee I am also planning to go to BU, hope to see you there.

5. Toothdecay

Toothdecay Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll see you there at BU!

Toothdecay

6. sonigee

sonigee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys...so so far Vikas,Toothdecay & myself are going to be at [email protected]! are any of you doing the excel program? how about housing ideas? :)
    ~Sonigee

7. DMD DOC

DMD DOC Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have not decided yet if I am going to do the Excel program. I heard it is an excellent way to meet some new ppl though.

Also I think I am going to spend my spring break in Boston possibly looking for housing. Any good ideas as to what areas are nice. I heard a lot of students live in Quincy.

Thanks Again.
    Vikas

8. sonigee

sonigee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

vikas...you should look for areas in the south end, b/c its closer to school...there are no trains that go directly near the school, so no matter what you are gonna have to take the T and then take a bus to school...so if you live with in walking distance you don't have to deal with that...thats what i am gonna do...otherwise, some cool neighborhoods are brookline,brighton,allston..i haven't seen any of them yet..but hopefully we are happy wherever we end up....i am not going to do the excel program. I have talked to numerous people and they all advised me to use that extra month to relax, cuz you know school is 12 months with the apex program..

9. toan

toan Junior Member

sonigee,

like yourself i'm still in debate between nyu and bu. what made you decide to pick bu? what didn't you like about nyu? if anyone else have an opinion, i'd love to hear it.

10. sonigee

sonigee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Toen..i made a list of pros and cons for both schools today...

BU Pros:Simulation lab,newer school/facilities,will provide tutors to student,better student/faculty ratio,smaller class size,APEX,Externship.

BU Cons:$$$,no dorms, the area surrounding the school(not too nice),$$ housing

NY Pros: NYC,major changes,prestigious, DORMS!!NY

NYU Cons: $$$,too many students,negative student feedback,dvd is mandatory

so basically in BU you get the opportunity to deal one on one w/prof..i kinda want to go to NY just cuz its New york, but i know that BU will be better for me...hope that helps.. :) ))

11. Viraj

Viraj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Aman
    Yes I have finally decided to go to Tufts. I declined my interviews at USC and Loma Linda. I will be going to Nova's interview in March,just because its my spring break, and its a good excuse to be down in Miami that time.

12. DMD DOC

DMD DOC Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sonigee & Toothdecay: How are you planning on paying for BU? I was overlooking the loan material and I would like your opinion on what you think is the best strategy. I cannot really get my parents to give me anymore money as my sister is going to WashU for her undergrad and they already paid for my undergrad.

Thanks
    Vikas

13. sonigee

sonigee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Vikas...well...i finally sent in my 3k yest...as far as paying for my education..loans i guess..my fam offered to put some down, but i like the idea of doing it on my own..call me crazy:)...i am going to call them to discuss my options b/c all i've done so far is the FAFSA....any ideas?

14. DMD DOC

DMD DOC Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I assume you have looked at the loan/fin. aid packet they gave you during interview, it seems like every loan has a 6-9% loan fee attached to it. That will be about $17-20K just as a loan fee. I think I might call BU and see what loan they feel is the best. Right now, IMHO I think ADEAL is the best offer due to the terms but I think I will still look around.

- Vikas