BU March 2008 Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear of accepted GMS'ers that do not plan on attending BUSM next year. Looks like this will be our only shot of getting pulled off the WL.

Yes, I know of at least one GMS student that was accepted, who will not be attending BUSM in the Fall. So hopefully they will pull at least one of you off the WL to take this spot!

Members don't see this ad.

oops i went MIA for a while.. yes! wayne! that's where i'm looking forward too. are you instate michigan or oos?

In state, but I still havent heard back from Einstein and I'm stayin on other NYC waitlists...

I like the outstanding clinical, but the school's first few years feel a bit too much like High School. I wasn't too terribly impressed when I visited, but I've really only heard good things since so I'm kinda getting excited. Not to mention WSU costs half as much as any other possibility....

probably see ya in the fall!

Most med schools accept at least 50% more students (than the seats allowed) taking into account the likely withdrawal of accepted students according to the data from previous years. When I interviewed at UCSD, the adcoms said that they interviewed about 600 applicants and they accepted 50% of them (300). The other 50% goes to waitlist. Their class size is only about 120. Thus, it is hard to say somebody can get off the WL when one accepted student withdrew. Hard to swallow, but this is the reality in most cases. Med schools always make sure that they got enough matriculated students every academic year to cover the fixed cost. Good Luck to all applicants!

On a good side, I have heard a number of WL applicants got accepted after May 15.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most med schools accept at least 50% more students (than the seats allowed) taking into account the likely withdrawal of accepted students according to the data from previous years. When I interviewed at UCSD, the adcoms said that they interviewed about 600 applicants and they accepted 50% of them (300). The other 50% goes to waitlist. Their class size is only about 120. Thus, it is hard to say somebody can get off the WL when one accepted student withdrew. Hard to swallow, but this is the reality in most cases. Med schools always make sure that they got enough matriculated students every academic year to cover the fixed cost. Good Luck to all applicants!

On a good side, I have heard a number of WL applicants got accepted after May 15.

BU doesn't start to notify people from the WL until after June 1, so there is plenty of time to make ourselves sick thinking about it. :barf:

So, I just got off the phone with my adviser while I was in GMS at BU. He told me that us GMSers are kept on a separate wait list from the other students, and that we are considered when accepted GMS students decide to withdraw. Good thing is that our waitlist is shorter, bad thing is I don't know how likely accepted GMSers are to let go of their spots...

So, I just got off the phone with my adviser while I was in GMS at BU. He told me that us GMSers are kept on a separate wait list from the other students, and that we are considered when accepted GMS students decide to withdraw. Good thing is that our waitlist is shorter, bad thing is I don't know how likely accepted GMSers are to let go of their spots...

Did your advisor by any chance give you the statistics of # accepted/watlisted?

i'm afraid this will spark more ranting about how horrible BU is, but do you guys have any ideas about why their rankings are dropping so dramatically? :confused:

People should not focus too much on the USNew Rankings. The criteria they use is not indicative of how "good" a school is nor do they tell you the complete story. One of the major reasons why BU jumped dramatically in rank couple years ago to #28 was because of the huge NIH grant ($120 million) to build one of two Bioterrorism Labs in the nation. Funding is probably returning back to the norm and partly explains the fall in US News rankings.

Don't believe all this ranting about how horrible BU is. People keep saying on these forums BU is horrible, but have no basis for it. I encourage interested students to find out for themselves whether BU is right for them. Visit the school and talk to the medical students and the faculty. As a BUSM medical student, most of my classmates and I are pretty content with the quality of education we are receiving. One of the best things I love about the school is the excellent faculty, they are extremely receptive to students' inputs and really make sure we are treated well and appropriately.

One of big downsides about the school is probably the cost, but it is not just BU that is expensive. Most schools located in Boston are relatively more expensive than elsewhere in the country. It is just a matter of location and higher cost of living in the city.

Did your advisor by any chance give you the statistics of # accepted/watlisted?

I think you' ll be hard-pressed to get those numbers. Just hang in there everyone, most of the waitlist movement like others have said occurs around June -ish...after the May date when students are only allowed to hang onto one acceptance at a time. As waitlist movement occurs at higher ranked schools, there will be waitlist movement occurring at BU. The only year I think that the waitlist did not move at all was the year that BU was over-enrolled. That's unlikely to happen again.

He didn't have any information on the numbers or percentage accepted from the waitlist... of my other friends in GMS who have been accepted, to my knowledge most of them are inclined to matriculate there. So I'm not keeping my hopes up too high for this one :thumbdown:

I just turned down my acceptance from BU earlier today. Gonna head out to OHSU (my BU finaid package sucked...) Hopefully this will open up a spot of a well-deserving SDNer!

I just turned down my acceptance from BU earlier today. Gonna head out to OHSU (my BU finaid package sucked...) Hopefully this will open up a spot of a well-deserving SDNer!

same here...withdrew yesterday due to my [non-existent] financial aid package.

:luck: to those who are waiting to get in!

same here...withdrew yesterday due to my [non-existent] financial aid package.

:luck: to those who are waiting to get in!

I still haven't gotten my financial aid package from BU. Can you elaborate on what your financial aid package looked like? I'm guessing a lot of loans?

Members don't see this ad :)
All loans for me. I was very surprised! My EFC was about $9k, and that was almost entirely due to my own income (which will be absent while in school) in the past year. They said I had too many investments. What they were referring to was my 401k, since I don't have any other savings or investment. I guess they expect me to liquidate that in order to attend BU? Thanks but no thanks.

BU's financial aid sucked for me as well. I really don't want to be 300K in debt leaving medical school, with interest accruing through residency.

same here.

they offered me 50k in loans, and basically told me to find the rest of the money myself. although i did love the school, their financial aid package seriously blows.

BU is known for their crappy finincial aid. I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't gotten any better, despite their promises...

Yeah, I pretty much got all loans too. But, I was just really impressed with the open house they had yesterday, I think they did a great job. So, even though I'll be in debt with BU, I'm definately going.

Anybody who got acceptance on second round and haven't gotten fin aid award yet? I submitted all doc. on time, but still no fin aid yet. i'm calling them on monday.

May 15! Bump for any news. Though we probably still have a couple weeks to go. Here's :luck: to us WL'ers.

I'm keeping everything crossed. Goodluck everyone

Hello all you waitlisters, today I turned down my acceptance so I hope one of you guys gets it. Good Luck

Hello all you waitlisters, today I turned down my acceptance so I hope one of you guys gets it. Good Luck

Heard rumor that BU overenrolled once again this year with the May 15th declarations. Anyone else heard anything?

Bump. This thread seems to have a lot less movement than last year's.

i called the admissions office a couple weeks ago and they said waitlist movement shouldn't move until june/july.

did anyone else call and confirm this?

i called the admissions office a couple weeks ago and they said waitlist movement shouldn't move until june/july.

did anyone else call and confirm this?

I got the same response when I called today.

Anyone hear anything from Adcom or their GMS advisors if the number of acceptances was over or under for this years class? They must have some idea about movement even if the list wont move til June.

Anyone hear anything from Adcom or their GMS advisors if the number of acceptances was over or under for this years class? They must have some idea about movement even if the list wont move til June.

Hi everyone, I'll be withdrawing my acceptance from BU - I got off Pitt's waitlist this morning. Hope this helps out one of you! Best of luck!

Hi everyone, I'll be withdrawing my acceptance from BU - I got off Pitt's waitlist this morning. Hope this helps out one of you! Best of luck!

thanks for keeping us posted luckiestguyever!!! Goodluck at Pitt and I hope I get to be the luckiestgirlever:D

Counting down the days til June..... 4 more to go.

1- punkindrublic
2- twitterpated6
3- mc4435
4- go lakers
5- matilde
6- mikkey
7- dth92
8- UCI Girl
9- asmith1121
10- feline
11- illmattic
12- dandelionwisps*
13- the champ*
14- utscdave
15- surf rx
16- star polyp*
17- premedontherun
18- Dayne
19- Goosies fiance
20- ILikeToMoveIt
21- CptJPMcDoogle
22- OZman
23- bugmser*
24- Robu511
25- HigHal320
26- Dr Terrier MD*
27- springhurst*
28- lisabens*
29- nickgov
30- Koz
31- Sunday1225*
32- SarsMO

I have to say, I am not very encouraged after reading these posts!!! I'm still going to stick it out until the end, though... BTW, out of curiosity, what is GMS?

1- punkindrublic
2- twitterpated6
3- mc4435
4- go lakers
5- matilde
6- mikkey
7- dth92
8- UCI Girl
9- asmith1121
10- feline
11- illmattic
12- dandelionwisps*
13- the champ*
14- utscdave
15- surf rx
16- star polyp*
17- premedontherun
18- Dayne
19- Goosies fiance
20- ILikeToMoveIt
21- CptJPMcDoogle
22- OZman
23- bugmser*
24- Robu511
25- HigHal320
26- Dr Terrier MD*
27- springhurst*
28- lisabens*
29- nickgov
30- Koz
31- Sunday1225*
32- SarsMO

I have to say, I am not very encouraged after reading these posts!!! I'm still going to stick it out until the end, though... BTW, out of curiosity, what is GMS?

It's the SMP at BU

Just wondering, how many people sent in a letter of intent?

I have sent a letter of intent, of interest and a few updates. I must admit however, that this is just to trick my mind into thinking that I am doing all that I can, because BU's waitlist probably won't move and if it does, it isn't LOIs that are going to make a difference.

OMG. I just called BU, and they said there won't be any movement before early July. This is just sick and ridiculous.

Seriously??? Holy ****. This is the point where I curl up in the fetal position and cry. There really needs to be some kind of reform of the system!!!

REJECTED from the waitlist as of today (check your status email which cleverly includes my status already listed in the email itself). So I guess there was some movement, just not the kind you were all hoping for. Outstanding, BU, simply outstanding.

Payce out, once and for all.

WOW that is totally lame and makes absolutely no sense. Sorry =( I hope things turn up for you somewhere else!

Rejected off the waitlist, second year in a row. F**k you, Witzburg.

sorry for all those who got the waitlist rejection yesterday

So they sent out waitlist rejections via email yesterday? Just want to clarify.

And sorry for those who got the boot.

yeah, I got to ole boot, too. I was a little surprised - I didn't think they'd reject people off of the waitlist until the class starts...So yeah, they sent out emails yesterday to some telling us "thanks but no thanks."
Here's my favorite line:
"This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away."

I actually laughed when I read that.

Hey guys I got word from my advisor that at this point in time they are still overenrolled. The cuts made yesterday were done to avoid stringing along applicants unlikely to get in off the waitlist like in years past. I believe they are still expecting some movement by summers end just not a lot. My advisor is not on adcom so didn't have any specifics on how overenrolled they were. He also said not to expect to hear much til early july. So I guess we gotta sit tight another month. Sorry to those who got the email yesterday and gluck to the rest of us waiting.

ouch that sucks............ sorry for those cut. but also sorry for those not cut. more suckass waiting time. ugh.

:mad: ohhhhh so sorry everyone who got a rejection. It does really hurt to wait it out this long and then get the cut.

Has anyone heard any news recently? I heard through a friend of a friend that someone had got off but I am a bit skeptical (I think we know how reliable these things usually are). Has anyone been taken off or hear of anything like this?

Has anyone heard any news recently? I heard through a friend of a friend that someone had got off but I am a bit skeptical (I think we know how reliable these things usually are). Has anyone been taken off or hear of anything like this?

nope haven't heard a thing....as a couple of posts have already mentioned I think its beginning of July that some, if any, WL movement is expected to happen.

Hey guys,
Called today. Lady on the phone said that the waitlist will start moving mid to late July if it does. :(

I heard that BU is still overenrolled at this moment. There will still probably be some movement as people get accepted off other waitlists and withdraw from BU. Good luck to you all, hopefully you'll be in my class next year!