BU Master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flpostbac

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,

I'm new to the forum...I've found this to be quite helpful so far. I would like to have input from those who have gone through the BU MA in Medical sciences program. I've spoken with the dean on the phone, and cannot really tell how sincere his responses are to my questions. Perhaps a student's response is more meaningful.
First, how much is the tuition for the year? Are students as successful as what is 'advertised' on the website (quite remarkable success rate for US allopath schools). How does this program compare with Georgetown's SMP program? Anyone with a bad experience with the BU program? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

can you post the website for this and other similar programs for people not looking to take premed classes over.

flpostbac:
I did the BU MA program, beginning in Sept 2000, and I will be going to med school this fall (I am going to BU, waitlisted at UCLA, and received a few other acceptances and waitlists).

Anyways, to answer some of your questions (you can PM me w/ additional questions if you have them).
Which dean did you speak to?
tuition: It is expensive (I think it is about $20,000+)--but most post bacc programs are--which is why the schools have them.
I am actually not sure what is "advertised" on their web page. But I would take anything that is said with a bit of skepticism. It is like this: If you do the program and you do well (and MCAT scores are good), you will pretty much get in somewhere. However, there are people who don't take the program so seriously (at least initially) and don't do so well, which is an even bigger strike against them. So, yes, a lot of people from the program do get into medical schools. Their stats might include D.O. and overseas M.D. programs, so that is something to consider too.
How this program compare with Georgetown's SMP program: I think it is relatively similar in that you as a master's student actually take Med school courses alongside the med students. At georgetown I think they take more classes (at BU you don't take anatomy for example), but I am not sure how else they differ. Oh, with BU you write a master's thesis which I am not sure if you do at Georgetown. With BU, it is in a clinically and research oriented environment (Boston has tons of opportunities, not to mention BU med itself) so if you are also looking out for some volunteering, then the program is good for that too.

You asked about those who had a bad experience w/ BU masters: if one gets poor grades, that is a bad experience, and if one does well, then one has a good experience. I was determined to make it a good experience. Basically you are there to help yourself. It is that simple. The program was great for me (I actually had a decent GPA, but my MCAT scores were low, so I wanted to do something that would PROVE that I could succeed in medical school). I did well in the program and found that the coursework really helped me boost my MCATs). But the program is very intense--I studied all the time--as the grading system is letter grades. But you can do it!

Don't want to turn this into a book, so anyone PM me with questions/ more info.

hope this has helped. take care :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey flpostbac,
this may sound stupid but are you referring to the masters in medical sciences in boston university or barry university? since one of the responses you got someone said that they took it but it didn't include anatomy and i was just wondering since the masters at barry university offers anatomy. let me know cause i'm gonna start that masters program in the spring semester cause i'm taking the mcat this summer. i'm taking it cause i need to improve my undergrad gpa. take care and good luck...always eating mierda,
me

flpostbac & hrtsurgn2B:

I PM'd both of you. Hope info is helpful.
:) encee

Hi apocalypse3678,

I was referring to Boston's program (i'm already living up here)...is barry's program 2 years? Good luck in your quest!

I know a bit more about the Georgetown Special Master's Program so here it goes:

First, it's an eleven month non-thesis program. You never take anatomy. The following courses are taken alongside medical students:

Microscopic anatomy (AKA histology)
Embryology
Endocrinology
Physiology
Biostatistics
Neuroanatomy

The graduate courses you take are:

Biochemistry
Immunology/microbiology
Integrative Physiology
Independent Research (write a paper on topic of your choice)

To receive your MS, you must also pass a comprehensive physiology test and have an overall GPA of at least 3.0. The grading system is A-F. For the med courses, your grades are determined by the score of the med class where, for example, the top 10% = A, mean = B, etc...

The program also assigns advisors to every student. The advisors then write additional letters of rec.

Tuition is ~$22K.

I don't know their current acceptance rate but I'm sure you can find that via their website under the Physiology Special Master's Program.

According to some med students who ended up getting into their state school or elsewhere after finishing the Georgetown program, their MS1 year was relatively easy because they were exempt from courses they had already taken and had extra time to study for other stuff (like anatomy). A lot of them also did research, became teaching assistants, or tutored their first year and made some extra $$$ on the side.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you. :)

BU program sounds very similar to Georgetown Special Master's Program
But at BU no Embryology nor Neuroanatomy

Independent Research--(write a paper on topic of your choice)--this is same BU's masters thesis

The following info is also true for BU:
The program also assigns advisors to every student. The advisors then write additional letters of rec.

Tuition is ~$22K.

According to some med students who ended up getting into their state school or elsewhere after finishing the Georgetown program, their MS1 year was relatively easy because they were exempt from courses they had already taken and had extra time to study for other stuff (like anatomy). A lot of them also did research, became teaching assistants, or tutored their first year and made some extra $$$ on the side.
:)

Very cool you guys...this is such a big help...thank you all.

One issue I'd like to bring up concerns whether courses will be completed by the time med school adcoms can be updated of your success in the given program (BU or G-town). It appears that G-town SMP has med school courses that are completed earlier than the usual 4-5 mth semester and may subsequently be brought to the adcom's attention while they're making decisions. The SMP appears to encourage med school applications during the program for this reason. Since this is my first time applying, I'd like to get a sense for how long it actually takes for adcoms to make their decisions (yes, I've read about the waitlistings)...
Nevertheless, I haven't gotten this info. about BU...at BU, one is still encouraged to take the MCAT's in April (if need-be) of the program and apply thereafter (placing one a year 'behind'). This is not to say that BU's program is any better or worse than G-towns...both appear to be successful if you are successful! Is this an accurate picture?

Does anyone have an opinion on the previous post concerning SMP vs. BU in terms of getting scores to adcoms in time?

thanks.

To answer your question regarding the SMP, the only scores admissions committees will see from coursework at G'town that will help make a difference are those from the first semester. But later in the year you can keep up-dating your file with new scores since not all their classes begin and end at the same time (for instance, you may be done with physiology before you begin neuroanatomy the second semester, etc.) Another thing is that they do NOT by any means recommend you take the MCAT in April if you plan on completing their program. There will be no time to study for it.

I hope this helps. Good luck. PM me if you have any other questions about SMP. :)