BU or SUNY downstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently gratuated from boston university and was recently
accepted into Both Boston University school of med and SUNY
Downstate (brooklyn, NY).
My question is: Which one would you recommend. I have a hard
decision and don't know if BU's better ranking is worth the
53,000 a year compared to brooklyn's 25,000. Secondly, which
school will give me more oppertunities and give me a better
chance at a good residency.

I need to make the decision soon.

thank you for your time.
diko

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

There is a lot of debate about taking bigger loans to go to a bigger-name school. I would suggest looking at the match lists, avg. USMLE scores, and look into the clerkships available during 3rd and 4th year. I believe they both will offer you the opportunity to become a proficient medical student but obviously BU has a more well-known name.

DUDE, save your money!! If I gave you a check for 100k to go to SUNY, would you do it. You should also know full well that both schools offer a medical degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a lot of debate about taking bigger loans to go to a bigger-name school. I would suggest looking at the match lists, avg. USMLE scores, and look into the clerkships available during 3rd and 4th year. I believe they both will offer you the opportunity to become a proficient medical student but obviously BU has a more well-known name.

Hopefully he waited 12 years for this response so he could make the right choice :thumbup:

I say BU, sure its a bit more expensive, but the area around downstate kinda sucks, (take it from me, i do research there)

1999?

Last edited:
I hope I get accepted into enough places so that I could make actual decisions as to where is exactly the best for me. In this case, life is unpredictable and you would want to have the least amount of debt so that your past doesn't haunt you.

Don't any of you look at the original post when you reply?

didnt the craigslist killer go to BU med?

Ouch, was somewhat a depressing read. Did he just leave after '04 I was hopping to see newer stuff from him but his post history ends that year, at least it looks that way.

Apparently he also managed to practice family medicine for 7 years also.

I say BU, sure its a bit more expensive, but the area around downstate kinda sucks, (take it from me, i do research there)

A little more expensive...$25k vs $53k....yeah, sure.