kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
Any input? I know....very different schools. Just looking for feedback from people who have interviewed at both, current med students, what are others perceptions of both schools? BU is obviously much more urban...strong clinical training, city living. When I interviewed at UVM, though, I was extremely impressed with the atmosphere, the students, the new VIC curriculum. Loved Burlington--everyone seems so happy up there.

redsox24

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2004
CT
Status
LOL...Think you mean "VIC" curriculum....I interviewed at UVM (rejected post-sec. by BU). I would just like to remind you what living in Boston is like compared to upstate Vermont. I would give anything to go to school in Boston.

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
oops, thanks, just corrected my post. I'm very tired! Yes, I know....I love Boston, too. Thanks for reminding me! But, I have lived here almost all of my life, and I fell in love with UVM, the students, the setting, the professors. The cohesiveness of the student body is also very important to me in a med school. My undergrad school was fairly competitive, and not as cohesive as I would have liked. So, this is something that I'm really looking for in a med school. Especially given the rigor of medical school, it would be nice to be at a place where you felt supported and really got along with your classmates. I just got the sense that the class might be more tight-knit, given that the students aren't so spread out geographically as they are at BU. Any other ideas?

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
Status
kc123 said:
oops, thanks, just corrected my post. I'm very tired! Yes, I know....I love Boston, too. Thanks for reminding me! But, I have lived here almost all of my life, and I fell in love with UVM, the students, the setting, the professors. The cohesiveness of the student body is also very important to me in a med school. My undergrad school was fairly competitive, and not as cohesive as I would have liked. So, this is something that I'm really looking for in a med school. Especially given the rigor of medical school, it would be nice to be at a place where you felt supported and really got along with your classmates. I just got the sense that the class might be more tight-knit, given that the students aren't so spread out geographically as they are at BU. Any other ideas?
Sounds like you want to go to UVM, so why do you want other peoples' opinions?

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
stinkycheese said:
Sounds like you want to go to UVM, so why do you want other peoples' opinions?
I'm far from decided....many factors to consider, location being a key one. I was really impressed with UVM and had a great day there....but that's just a first impression. And I interviewed at BU awhile ago, so its not as fresh in my mind. So, I was looking for others' thoughts, perceptions, experiences. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
both are great schools...BU ranked for research and UVM ranked for primary care...I think BU has greater name recognition...both locations are great...depending on what your looking for...if you like small towns, quiet atmosphere, UVM is for you. If you like the big city, BU is the place to go. both schools are great imo

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
I don't know anything about BU, but I know that UVM sounds like a great place to be. I'm very interested in being in a small place, out of the big city, cuz rural care might just be the way that I'd go. Good luck with your decision!

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DianaLynne said:
I don't know anything about BU, but I know that UVM sounds like a great place to be. I'm very interested in being in a small place, out of the big city, cuz rural care might just be the way that I'd go. Good luck with your decision!
looks like you and I are on the same boat :)...when is ur interview to UVM?

and one bad thing about UVM is that for out of staters, it costs an arm and a leg (40k/year)

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
upper upper UPPER west side
Visit site
Status
I know I don't really have much to do with either of these schools, but I love Burlington so much that just had to throw in my 2 cents. :) (My boyfriend lives and works there, so I'm always up visiting.) I think there is something to be said about trying out something new (I thought you might have indicated that you've lived in Boston before). I've always been a small town girl... grew up south of Syracuse and went to undergrad in small town New Hampshire. Now I'm trying out NYC, just for a change of pace. I know I'll appreciate the new experience in the long run.
Also, think about how you like to spend your free time, because the time spent in class and the library will be somewhat comparable at either school. Do you like to hike? Ski? Go apple picking? Swim, run, rollerblade along a beautiful shoreline? ;) Or do you like to have the excitement of the city, with endless possibilities of bars, clubs, shopping, restaurants, etc? Maybe this will help in your decision....
In addition, think of cost of living. It's sure to be cheaper in Burlington. However, I've heard UVM for out of staters is a bit expensive...
Best of luck in whatever you choose! :luck:

DoctorMalki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
gintien said:

and one bad thing about UVM is that for out of staters, it costs an arm and a leg (40k/year)
isn't that just the first years tuition for out of staters? I thougth that after a year you can become a vermont resident and pay instate tuition... maybe I am wrong.

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
DoctorMalki said:
isn't that just the first years tuition for out of staters? I thougth that after a year you can become a vermont resident and pay instate tuition... maybe I am wrong.
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to establish residency in Vermont while in school. So, the tuition is the same for all four years. Somehow, I seemed to apply to/interview at THE most expensive schools in the US. I didn't think I could find a place MORE expensive than BU -- but indeed UVM is. Though I have heard that the financial aid office at UVM is very helpful, and there are always scholarships, right? At least worth a try! Unless I get into my state school, I'm looking at a large debt load -- like most of us!

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kc123 said:
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to establish residency in Vermont while in school. So, the tuition is the same for all four years. Somehow, I seemed to apply to/interview at THE most expensive schools in the US. I didn't think I could find a place MORE expensive than BU -- but indeed UVM is. Though I have heard that the financial aid office at UVM is very helpful, and there are always scholarships, right? At least worth a try! Unless I get into my state school, I'm looking at a large debt load -- like most of us!
the only scholarship that UVM offers that i know of are for students who promise to work in vermont after residency or something...i think its 10k a year

PookieGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 4, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
I went to UVM undergrad and had a great time. Burlington, though very small and certainly nothing like Boston, has many unique places to shop and eat, beautiful scenery, tons of outdoors sporting options--anywhere from skating to skiing to rock climbing to using UVM's kick ass gym. THe pace of life is slower and the cost of living WAY cheaper than Boston (something you may need to think about if you're taking lots of loans out to cover living expenses). Just make sure if you do it, find a house with heating that is NOT electric.

One great thing about Burlington's location: Montreal is less than an hour and a half away by car. So if you miss big city life, you could always pile everyone into the car, party all night, and share a hotel room there. :) Hope this helps. If you have any other questions about UVM and the area, PM me.

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
ddmoore54 said:
Curious as to why? I got a really good feeling for BU when I interviewed, and was especially impressed with their mission to serve Boston's underserved (BMC is Boston's largest safety hospital, and sees a lot of patients who don't have insurance). Lately, though, I've read in some other threads that BU students are unhappy and somewhat competitive. The couple of people I talked to at BU (alums of my undergrad) didn't really confirm this -- they did have some complaints about the curriculum, but overall were happy. Just wondering what others have heard?

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
gintien said:

They haven't told me whether or not I even WILL be interviewing. I called to check on my status and was told that I'm in the pool of applications to be called to interview, though it was no guarantee that it would even happen. I wish there was something I could do. I live in a small town now in the mountains and I really love being near nature. Sounds like UVM is about as close as you can get. Wish me luck...

sk1684

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
I know what you mean. I e-mailed bunch of BU students MS 1,2,3,4 with the same doubts and they all had seemed to have a positive experience at BU. They especially liked the clinical trainined and helpful professors. A lot of them seemed very independent so the supposedly "lack of community" didn't really bother them. As for the curriculum, they said that yes, it is heavy on lecture but the curriculum doesn't really matter that much coz you start learning the real stuff 3rd year onwards. Besides they felt that they needed the lectures to provide them with background info on the things discussed in the PBL sessions. As for the competitiveness, they changed the grading system last year i believe. Its Pass/Fail now. I am glad about that.

kc123 said:
Curious as to why? I got a really good feeling for BU when I interviewed, and was especially impressed with their mission to serve Boston's underserved (BMC is Boston's largest safety hospital, and sees a lot of patients who don't have insurance). Lately, though, I've read in some other threads that BU students are unhappy and somewhat competitive. The couple of people I talked to at BU (alums of my undergrad) didn't really confirm this -- they did have some complaints about the curriculum, but overall were happy. Just wondering what others have heard?

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
sk1684 said:
I know what you mean. I e-mailed bunch of BU students MS 1,2,3,4 with the same doubts and they all had seemed to have a positive experience at BU. They especially liked the clinical trainined and helpful professors. A lot of them seemed very independent so the supposedly "lack of community" didn't really bother them. As for the curriculum, they said that yes, it is heavy on lecture but the curriculum doesn't really matter that much coz you start learning the real stuff 3rd year onwards. Besides they felt that they needed the lectures to provide them with background info on the things discussed in the PBL sessions. As for the competitiveness, they changed the grading system last year i believe. Its Pass/Fail now. I am glad about that.
Thanks for the great info! Glad to hear that you had some of the same doubts, yet you were quite satisfied with the responses you got from current students. I have heard that the clinical training is extremely solid. And the location can't really be beat in terms of diversity of patient population, etc. Have you decided, for certain, that you will be attending BU?

premyo2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2003
\\
Status
To the OP,
You have to ask yourself, “why do I want to be a doctor?”
Afterward if one of your answers is to help people, then you should definitely pick BU!! Not because I think it is a better program or anything, it is just that I am waitlisted at UVM, and if you go to BU my chances are better- so you would be helping me! :D :thumbup:

Seriously though, they both are great programs. I am a bit partial to UVM because I interviewed there, whereas BU sent me a fancy post-payment (I mean secondary) rejection. :thumbdown:

Congratulations on your acceptances. :horns:

sk1684

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
yes, so far its my top choice.I just got a good gut feeling that the school is right for me. However, i am still waiting to hear from Emory and i got waitlisted at Wake Forest (both of which are in warm places!). How about you? Are you set on BU? Whats ur background?

kc123 said:
Thanks for the great info! Glad to hear that you had some of the same doubts, yet you were quite satisfied with the responses you got from current students. I have heard that the clinical training is extremely solid. And the location can't really be beat in terms of diversity of patient population, etc. Have you decided, for certain, that you will be attending BU?

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DianaLynne said:
They haven't told me whether or not I even WILL be interviewing. I called to check on my status and was told that I'm in the pool of applications to be called to interview, though it was no guarantee that it would even happen. I wish there was something I could do. I live in a small town now in the mountains and I really love being near nature. Sounds like UVM is about as close as you can get. Wish me luck...
I was under the impression in another thread that you received an interview invite...with a person with your credentials, it would be a shame for them to deny you! hope you get that invite and let me know if you do!

Thndrctboy

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
kc123 said:
Any input? I know....very different schools. Just looking for feedback from people who have interviewed at both, current med students, what are others perceptions of both schools? BU is obviously much more urban...strong clinical training, city living. When I interviewed at UVM, though, I was extremely impressed with the atmosphere, the students, the new VIC curriculum. Loved Burlington--everyone seems so happy up there.
UVM and BU are both great schools. I also got into UVM and a school in a big city with a similar U.S. News Research Ranking to that of BU. Every time I contemplate which school to go to, I keep coming back to UVM. Some reasons... (1) the VIC curriculum sounds great...we should know in the next few months how the first round of Boards go for the VIC students (2) UVM students get a great clinical education (3) UVM students match well, and (4) the faculty, administrators, and students seem to love being there. I also sensed a cohesive student body. Burlington also seems like a great city.

One possible drawback of UVM is diversity in the patient population. But keep in mind that in Boston, there are many hospitals where patients can go. UVM's hospital is the only tertiary care center around...and patients from all over will come there for treatment. Do you guys agree? Of course, I'm really interested to see how the UVM VIC students do on their Boards. And what do you guys think about there having 1.5 years of in-class and 2.5 years of clinical training? Let me know what you think. Good luck to all of you making decisions...and good luck DianaLynne on getting an interview!

eulogia228

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Status
I would definitely choose Boston University on this one. Of course, this is just my bias being reflected because I highly prefer to live in an urban setting as opposed to a rural setting. The city of Boston looks like it has lots to offer in the way of working with underserved communities, being in an intellectual environment because Boston is the largest college town in the nation, being around people your own age, etc. The only drawback I've heard about Boston is that it doesn't seem very culturally diverse. I'm not exactly sure why folks say this, but that's what all of my friends told me. One of my friends is a graduate student at Harvard and he told me that the lack of cultural diversity in the Boston area made him want to move back to Los Angeles (he went to USC undergrad). Obviously, I'm going off location/quality of life factors here because I haven't exactly researched the curriculums/academic merits of the medical schools at these two institutions. Boston University does rank quite well among the research schools though and I heard they're developing a research center strictly dedicated to counter bioterrorism. Well, that was my $0.02.

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
premyo2002 said:
To the OP,
You have to ask yourself, “why do I want to be a doctor?”
Afterward if one of your answers is to help people, then you should definitely pick BU!! Not because I think it is a better program or anything, it is just that I am waitlisted at UVM, and if you go to BU my chances are better- so you would be helping me! :D :thumbup:

Seriously though, they both are great programs. I am a bit partial to UVM because I interviewed there, whereas BU sent me a fancy post-payment (I mean secondary) rejection. :thumbdown:

Congratulations on your acceptances. :horns:
ha ha.....you're funny. Congratulations on your acceptance. I'm actually accepted at BU and waiting to hear back from UVM (though very hopeful). Really liked the school a lot. I should have specified that in my original post. Are you waiting to hear back/waitlisted at any other schools? Good luck to you!

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
sk1684 said:
yes, so far its my top choice.I just got a good gut feeling that the school is right for me. However, i am still waiting to hear from Emory and i got waitlisted at Wake Forest (both of which are in warm places!). How about you? Are you set on BU? Whats ur background?
Just tried to post, but it seems as though it didn't go through. So, I apologize in advance if there is a double post. My background....I am a non-traditional applicant, several years out of school, with a solid app and not-so-great MCAT scores. Also waiting to hear back from UMass....interviewed there at the end of January, and I know it's common to find out very late about UMass. So, we shall see. What's your background? Unfortunately, I don't have much info on Wake Forest or Emory, though it would be nice to be someplace warm. Where are you from? Good luck, and maybe I will see you at BU in the fall!

sk1684

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
funny that you say that Boston is NOT culturally diverse. One of the reasons its high on my list is diversity. i guess it depends on where you are coming from. LA? yeah i guess its more diverse...but my ugrad is at a small place in Pennsylvania...so Boston felt great when i was there.

eulogia228 said:
I would definitely choose Boston University on this one. Of course, this is just my bias being reflected because I highly prefer to live in an urban setting as opposed to a rural setting. The city of Boston looks like it has lots to offer in the way of working with underserved communities, being in an intellectual environment because Boston is the largest college town in the nation, being around people your own age, etc. The only drawback I've heard about Boston is that it doesn't seem very culturally diverse. I'm not exactly sure why folks say this, but that's what all of my friends told me. One of my friends is a graduate student at Harvard and he told me that the lack of cultural diversity in the Boston area made him want to move back to Los Angeles (he went to USC undergrad). Obviously, I'm going off location/quality of life factors here because I haven't exactly researched the curriculums/academic merits of the medical schools at these two institutions. Boston University does rank quite well among the research schools though and I heard they're developing a research center strictly dedicated to counter bioterrorism. Well, that was my $0.02.

Cherebourg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Huckel
Status
sk1684 said:

I went to school at St. Mike's in Burlington and let me tell you. Sure it's beautiful up there and all that, but you are FREEZING YOUR BALLS OFF from November 1 to March 30. SO cold, it's depressing. You don't want to leave your house. The summer's and spring and early fall are nice. But it is cold for a long time and that got really depressing over 4 years. Boston is cold I know, but there is much more to do than Burlington. So, think about it from a lifestyle point of view as well. Who cares if the BU students are competitive? that doesn't need to be you.

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
sk1684 said:
funny that you say that Boston is NOT culturally diverse. One of the reasons its high on my list is diversity. i guess it depends on where you are coming from. LA? yeah i guess its more diverse...but my ugrad is at a small place in Pennsylvania...so Boston felt great when i was there.
I agree! Sure, it may not be as diverse as NY or LA, but I also think of Boston as diverse. Also, you see a tremendous diversity of patients at Boston Medical Center. They serve people from various different socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.

OP
K

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
Cherebourg said:
I went to school at St. Mike's in Burlington and let me tell you. Sure it's beautiful up there and all that, but you are FREEZING YOUR BALLS OFF from November 1 to March 30. SO cold, it's depressing. You don't want to leave your house. The summer's and spring and early fall are nice. But it is cold for a long time and that got really depressing over 4 years. Boston is cold I know, but there is much more to do than Burlington. So, think about it from a lifestyle point of view as well. Who cares if the BU students are competitive? that doesn't need to be you.
Good to keep in mind! Thanks! :)