1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

BU Reqs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by RunMD, Aug 10, 2006.

1. RunMD

RunMD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For those of you applying to BU, do you have 1 or 2 semesters of Organic chem lab? I thought it only required 1, but when I called the lady said they need 2. Did you guys substitute this lab with anything else?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JEV2007

JEV2007 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

2 semesters of orgo lab are standard at most schools I believe. Did you take orgo 2 lecture?

4. RunMD

RunMD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Yep, I took the second lecture, but very very few people at my school take the second orgo lab. My first orgo lab was 2 credit hours if that makes a difference. What other schools require 2 orgo labs?

5. swtiepie711

swtiepie711 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is it just me, or do they say "Organic Chemistry (1 year) with Lab"? Meaning, like 1 semester orgo + 1 semester orgo lab = you're in the clear? I haven't heard of a single school that requires 1 whole yr of orgo labs...

6. RunMD

RunMD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

When i called to clarify she said 1 yr (2 semesters of organic chem lecture and 2 semesters of organic chem lab). But like you said, I haven't heard of a school that requires 2 organic labs either, so I'm wondering what everyone else has.

7. DrCurious

DrCurious Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought all schools required 2 semesters of orgo lecture and lab.

8. RunMD

RunMD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is each lab at your school 1 or 2 credits? I took 1 semester worth 2 credits.

9. swtiepie711

swtiepie711 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From my understanding, most schools require a years worth of orgo which includes an orgo lab. Like, one school said that 2 quarters of orgo + 1 quarter of orgo lab fulfills this requirement (sorry, I was one quarter sys, so to me that translates to 1 sem of orgo + 1 sem of orgo lab = A-ok!). So, no, 1 year of lab isn't required. 1 year of orgo is. Is this making any sense? haha

10. dottore07

dottore07 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I ran into this same problem - there is actually only one semester of organic lab at my school, but it is a two credit lab as opposed to a one credit lab (like most chem labs at my school). I just explained this in the comments section under the grid.