BU Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you applying to BU, do you have 1 or 2 semesters of Organic chem lab? I thought it only required 1, but when I called the lady said they need 2. Did you guys substitute this lab with anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

RunMD said:
For those of you applying to BU, do you have 1 or 2 semesters of Organic chem lab? I thought it only required 1, but when I called the lady said they need 2. Did you guys substitute this lab with anything else?

2 semesters of orgo lab are standard at most schools I believe. Did you take orgo 2 lecture?

JEV2007 said:
2 semesters of orgo lab are standard at most schools I believe. Did you take orgo 2 lecture?

Yep, I took the second lecture, but very very few people at my school take the second orgo lab. My first orgo lab was 2 credit hours if that makes a difference. What other schools require 2 orgo labs?

Members don't see this ad :)
RunMD said:
Yep, I took the second lecture, but very very few people at my school take the second orgo lab. My first orgo lab was 2 credit hours if that makes a difference. What other schools require 2 orgo labs?

Is it just me, or do they say "Organic Chemistry (1 year) with Lab"? Meaning, like 1 semester orgo + 1 semester orgo lab = you're in the clear? I haven't heard of a single school that requires 1 whole yr of orgo labs...

swtiepie711 said:
Is it just me, or do they say "Organic Chemistry (1 year) with Lab"? Meaning, like 1 semester orgo + 1 semester orgo lab = you're in the clear? I haven't heard of a single school that requires 1 whole yr of orgo labs...

When i called to clarify she said 1 yr (2 semesters of organic chem lecture and 2 semesters of organic chem lab). But like you said, I haven't heard of a school that requires 2 organic labs either, so I'm wondering what everyone else has.

RunMD said:
When i called to clarify she said 1 yr (2 semesters of organic chem lecture and 2 semesters of organic chem lab). But like you said, I haven't heard of a school that requires 2 organic labs either, so I'm wondering what everyone else has.

I thought all schools required 2 semesters of orgo lecture and lab.

DrCurious said:

Is each lab at your school 1 or 2 credits? I took 1 semester worth 2 credits.

DrCurious said:

From my understanding, most schools require a years worth of orgo which includes an orgo lab. Like, one school said that 2 quarters of orgo + 1 quarter of orgo lab fulfills this requirement (sorry, I was one quarter sys, so to me that translates to 1 sem of orgo + 1 sem of orgo lab = A-ok!). So, no, 1 year of lab isn't required. 1 year of orgo is. Is this making any sense? haha

I ran into this same problem - there is actually only one semester of organic lab at my school, but it is a two credit lab as opposed to a one credit lab (like most chem labs at my school). I just explained this in the comments section under the grid.