May 9, 2010
Status
Dentist
Hi,

Can you guys tell me which is a better choice between BU and UCSF in totality. I know that UCSF is no comparison to BU in terms of the program but cost is a big factor too!!! I will appreciate if you could help me with the pros and cons of both and is it worth going to UCSF with that much money. At the end of 2years will it matter where u graduate from in tems of earning???

Please help. Thanks

hant

7+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2009
Status
Hi,

Can you guys tell me which is a better choice between BU and UCSF in totality. I know that UCSF is no comparison to BU in terms of the program but cost is a big factor too!!! I will appreciate if you could help me with the pros and cons of both and is it worth going to UCSF with that much money. At the end of 2years will it matter where u graduate from in tems of earning???

Please help. Thanks
At the end of 2years will it matter where u graduate from in tems of earning???

NO.

Feb 9, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hi,

Please help. Thanks
BU is a good school, no doubt. But i think UCSF will stand slightly higher than BU ( just a personal opinion) with regards to the clinical exposure.. People say that BU doesn't have a good patient exposure. Besides, the money should not be such a great factor as is important graduating from a better school... And remember , its only when you have choices the decision is tougher to make..Be happy that you have a choice and make a wise decision !

May 18, 2010
Status
Dentist
the term genius goes better with UCSF than with BU, in my opinion. so dental genius - pick UCSF!
do u mean to say that in other schools people are fools?

@dental genius: there will be no difference in earning once u graduate.
Gud Luck dude!

@6789: in the present economic scenario and interest rate(~10%), a difference of 40-60k matters

OP
D
May 9, 2010
Status
Dentist
Thankyou guys for ur advice.

I somehow agree with drstoic. $50000 is a huge amount and difference. And this is just the principal amnt. With interest and being on a liberal side the difference is close to $80000. Its not that BU is a bad university or it has NO PATIENTS at all!!! or is it????

I am from the east coast and talked to several american dentists here. Not even one encouraged me to go to UCSF. They say its all in the mind and going to a big university is just to satisfy your ego. Ultimately, it boils down to how much debt you will be in after two years.

Whats your opinion on this????

May 31, 2010
Status
Other Health Professions Student
i have herd, east cost universitiz r chiper, n salry is more when graduate.
if i wer frm east cost, n i hd 2 choose from ucsf n bu, i wud b confus 2 bt i go for BU.
- chiper
- more pay
- i want to work in east cost, nobody care abt univsity ther.
bu wil b sufficent.

La fea

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Think also in terms of family, weather not just cost.
It wont matter where you get out of but the 2 years you have to go through will matter A LOT.

UCSF is pretty stress free with great faculty and peers. SF location helps too- good weather ie no snow, lots to do outside school and so on.

May 31, 2010
Status
if family goin 2 move too, thn yes, SFO is gr8 (bt wid added cost wich is ALWAYS big factor).
hw mch time wil u hv to njoi weathr n do activities with DDS coursework?
if family NOT movin, then pointlss bein stressfree widout family.
if family is ther with you at a stressful univ, it make thngs easier n less strssful, no?

Aug 10, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Go for the school where your home is and heart is ! The cheaper the better, who says money doesnt matter .

Kash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Everybody is giving you their opinion but towards the end it would be your call. If I were in your place, I would go for UCSF (no offense with BU though).
UCSF is an amazing school, Good faculty, lot of clinical exposure, big city and weather of course.
I know it is expensive but if you are getting the funds approved then go for it... don't worry about the difference in the money thats couple of extra months once you start practicing.
Also check up which school is better in alumini network or events after you graduate.

My two cents!

Dec 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
Everybody is giving you their opinion but towards the end it would be your call. If I were in your place, I would go for UCSF (no offense with BU though).
UCSF is an amazing school, Good faculty, lot of clinical exposure, big city and weather of course.
I know it is expensive but if you are getting the funds approved then go for it... don't worry about the difference in the money thats couple of extra months once you start practicing.
Also check up which school is better in alumini network or events after you graduate.

My two cents!
Ok kash I couldn't help but notice ur point about money difference being paid in a couple of months.. That's new to me! If the difference is 50000, by the time he pays it back it will be more than 80000. In fact if he plans to pay his loans on a period of more than 10 or 15 years (most of us will do that no matter how we plan otherwise), then the amount will be almost the double. Now, if he makes 100000/a year as a start, that's almost 8000/month before taxes, which means 5500 - 6000 after taxes (depending on other factors).. 2000 for rent and other bills.. 2000 for living expenses, of course these are all approximate estimations for a recent graduate.. Can u elaborate how he's gonna pay 80000-100000 in an extra couple of months?

OP
D
May 9, 2010
Status
Dentist
Thanks everybody, for he overwhelming response and discussion. Though I have taken the decision my purpose of putting it here was to take opinions of fellow FTD's. Thanks to all.

@ kash, There is no doubt that UCSF is anextremely amazing school. I interviewed at 5 schools so far and I can assure that UCSF is the best. The facilities and and patient exposure is surpassed any universty. I have many seniors there who have confirmed the same.

The only question which had een bugging me was, At the end of 2 years, does it really matter??? Luckily I happened to talk to graduates of both UCSF and BU who have been in the real world for 2 years. Both are making nearly the same amount. The UCSF guy is practising on the east coast. Both said no matter what you do during the school, you will have no clue what you are doing for atleast an year when you graduate!!!! So what is the benefit???? The same thing was told to me by american dentists practising for 20 years. Ultimately it is the student who has to pay the loan after two years and according to practising dentists every penny of your repayment is not easy if not painful!!!

After all the discussion and talks i certainly feel that money matters. After two years the """weather""" is not going to make me happy :) :) lolzzz....

Nov 23, 2010
Status
Thanks everybody, for he overwhelming response and discussion. Though I have taken the decision my purpose of putting it here was to take opinions of fellow FTD's. Thanks to all.

@ kash, There is no doubt that UCSF is anextremely amazing school. I interviewed at 5 schools so far and I can assure that UCSF is the best. The facilities and and patient exposure is surpassed any universty. I have many seniors there who have confirmed the same.

The only question which had een bugging me was, At the end of 2 years, does it really matter??? Luckily I happened to talk to graduates of both UCSF and BU who have been in the real world for 2 years. Both are making nearly the same amount. The UCSF guy is practising on the east coast. Both said no matter what you do during the school, you will have no clue what you are doing for atleast an year when you graduate!!!! So what is the benefit???? The same thing was told to me by american dentists practising for 20 years. Ultimately it is the student who has to pay the loan after two years and according to practising dentists every penny of your repayment is not easy if not painful!!!

After all the discussion and talks i certainly feel that money matters. After two years the """weather""" is not going to make me happy :) :) lolzzz....
@dentalgenius.....So Moral of the story..you are going to BU right?:)

May 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
It wont matter where you get out of but the 2 years you have to go through will matter A LOT.

UCSF is pretty stress free with great faculty and peers. SF location helps too- good weather ie no snow, lots to do outside school and so on.

Is BU more stressful than UCSF. please put down your opinions.
Thanks

May 31, 2010
Status

Is BU more stressful than UCSF. please put down your opinions.
Thanks

dental school hv class/clinics outside? y weather is so imp?
i go wher i get degree and i get it cheap. especially if 2 yrs later it not going to matter.

krishdentist

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2009
San Francisco
Status
Dental Student

I am agree with your decision. But also look at your interest in the field. If you wanna do specialization then UCSF is better choice. I have worked as assistant to different dentists in east and west coast. What really matters is your work. If your hand skill is good then it wont matter from which university you are graduated.
My observation says young dentist with 1-2 years of experience makes an average of $150000 a year. Now when you are repaying a loan with higher monthly installment, you will pay less tax in the end of the year. But If your loan installment is small then your will pay more tax to the government in the end of the year. so at the end of 20 years It will be the same thing for graduate of any university! either you have to pay more money to bank or to government. I might be wrong in the way I am thinking. SO any one of you might correct me.
Another thing matters in alumni. I feel BU alumni is more stronger than UCSF. May be because BU is much older school than UCSF. So many of the old dentists you have met so far wont be familiar with UCSF.
The final decision is all yours. :thumbup:

May 31, 2010
Status
The UCSF guy is practising on the east coast. Both said no matter what you do during the school, you will have no clue what you are doing for atleast an year when you graduate!!!! So what is the benefit????
please read wat u hv quoted. those r benefits.

Dentistree711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2008
Status
Dentist

Dear "GENIUS",

As u mentioned above that this forum was intended for those future candidates who would want to make an educated decision regarding their choice so let me give my input.

Quoting some of your "wise" friends who said -
"Both said no matter what you do during the school, you will have no clue what you are doing for atleast an year when you graduate!!!! "

This statement clearly makes me wonder as to how much of educational resources they both utilized when in school and as to how current or up to date their knowledge is.

Quality of education matters. If you dont know "what to do" and "when to do" a procedure , just learn it. UCSF gives u that chance. Unless u go to the clinics and interact with faculty and the patients u are never gonna realize or decide "wen to do what"

Clinics in UCSF has taught me a lot.

1) Diagnosing the problem - Really it sounds foolish but my diagnostic skills have been improving ever since. The school has really made me question my abilities to evaluate the patient's needs case by case basis.

2) Explaining Risks Benefits and Altenatives - VERY IMPORTANT. How would u explain it in layman's terms whether PBM crown is better than MODL++ ? Or a person CANNOT have 2 implants in one arch and expect Fixed prosthesis ? U need to know you stuff to do that. People who "claim" that they are clueless probably never utilized their resources to fullest extent.

3) DO IT - After explaining the 2) to people we go ahead and DO what needs to be done. eg #2 has caries close to pulp but pulp chamber receded we do what is called "holding care" - decay excavation followed by restorability check - extraction ? or RCT ?

My seniors have had the opportunity to place and restore with single tooth implants which is totally cool

What I am trying to tell u is things are taught here in sequential manner. Most important thing is we get an opportunity to do treatment on PEOPLE and not on TYPODONTS like its done on some so called lesser expensive schools.

Remember unless you go try out your skill sets on PEOPLE u'll never learn. Try doing #2 (DO) with Sub -gingival caries , u'll appreciate what i'm trying to say.

Lastly , in USA dentistry is a service industry - U CANNOT get away doing shoddy work or not informing about any procedures to your patients. Believe we have been told repeatedly some mistakes haunt dentists to their graves. Dentists get SUED here for poor quality work, so wherever u guys are work hard and learn dentistry well. A person DOES NOT have be your patient in this country. He CHOOSES to be one. u have to EARN it.

U gotta do what u gotta do , saving money is important and IS a MAJOR criteria for foreign trained dentists but QUALITY mtters. Spend money for education , postpone buying that BMW immediately after your graduation instead :laugh:

My 2 cents for Mr. Genius