BU vs CWRU vs VTC (Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soggymoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Grateful to be making this choice!

I am interested in competitive specialties (plastics, ophthalmology...). I do not want a career in academia.

I am happy with the teaching methods in all 3 schools, so I wont include that aspect here.
Home is nearest to Boston, this is important to me, but right now I visit every ~2 months and it's not a big deal if I have a good support system wherever I am.

Virginia Tech Carilion (Total COA ~130K with scholarship)
Pros
  • Small, tight-knit class. Students get a really personal education which I really value.
  • Match success is very high, and clearly VTC isn't holding anyone back given matches to Hopkins and MGH (IM) this year.
  • Great access to outdoor activities. Being in nature is important for my mental health.
  • Clinical rotations all at VTC which is nice, students said they are very involved in procedures. They feel very competent in away rotations.
Cons
  • P/F with no ranking, but grades are taken into account for AOA and overarching 'letters of distinction'.
  • Does not have ophth, ortho, ENT residencies.
  • Roanoke is small, it would get boring eventually.
Case Western (Total COA ~340K)
Pros
  • Cleveland clinic & University Hospitals, wow. Can do any research and get letters from bigwigs.
  • True P/F and no AOA. This sounds like least stressful curriculum. BUT, perhaps not having AOA is a disadvantage?
  • Crazy match list.
  • Has residencies in just about everything.
  • Prestigious edge.
Cons
  • Price. Cleveland is low COL and friendly, but I much prefer Boston.
Boston University (Total COA ~384K)
Pros
  • Love the mission and that I would learn how to work with very diverse populations at BMC.
  • 3rd year at Kaiser is enticing.
  • True P/F with AOA.
  • Prestigious edge.
  • Love Boston. Lots to explore.
  • Close to home.
Cons
  • Expensive!! Very high COL would be restrictive. Difficult to have a car.
  • Lottery system for clinical rotations is not ideal.
  • Seems to be more demanding.
Summary: Really, this boils down to - I want to do a competitive specialty, but do not want a career in academia, considering step 1 is P/F, is the prestige edge and wealth of home residencies provided by BU or CWRU + true P/F [and no AOA] worth the expense? I think I would be roughly equally happy at all 3 schools.

EDIT: simplified

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bumping. Any input would be really appreciated!

Unfortunately, I think I’m going to have to say 1) VTech 2) Case 3) BU. I say unfortunately bc the latter 2 are definitely better schools and ones you’re likely more excited about, but I’m having a tough time justifying a 200k+ cost difference. The difference just simply isn’t there. Will you have to work a little bit harder to match into a competitive specialty from VT? Yes. Is the extra effort worth essentially being paid 200k for? 100%; the additional energy output is well worth the financial incentive.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above assessment. The extra 200k+ is a lot to overcome, with Boston's COL making it even more challenging.

Reactions: 1 user
Grateful to be making this choice!

I am interested in competitive specialties (plastics, ophthalmology...). I do not want a career in academia.

I am happy with the teaching methods in all 3 schools, so I wont include that aspect here.
Home is nearest to Boston, this is important to me, but right now I visit every ~2 months and it's not a big deal if I have a good support system wherever I am.

Virginia Tech Carilion (Total COA ~130K with scholarship)
Pros
  • Small, tight-knit class. Students get a really personal education which I really value.
  • Match success is very high, and clearly VTC isn't holding anyone back given matches to Hopkins and MGH (IM) this year.
  • Great access to outdoor activities. Being in nature is important for my mental health.
  • Clinical rotations all at VTC which is nice, students said they are very involved in procedures. They feel very competent in away rotations.
Cons
  • P/F with no ranking, but grades are taken into account for AOA and overarching 'letters of distinction'.
  • Does not have ophth, ortho, ENT residencies.
  • Roanoke is small, it would get boring eventually.
Case Western (Total COA ~340K)
Pros
  • Cleveland clinic & University Hospitals, wow. Can do any research and get letters from bigwigs.
  • True P/F and no AOA. This sounds like least stressful curriculum. BUT, perhaps not having AOA is a disadvantage?
  • Crazy match list.
  • Has residencies in just about everything.
  • Prestigious edge.
Cons
  • Price. Cleveland is low COL and friendly, but I much prefer Boston.
Boston University (Total COA ~384K)
Pros
  • Love the mission and that I would learn how to work with very diverse populations at BMC.
  • 3rd year at Kaiser is enticing.
  • True P/F with AOA.
  • Prestigious edge.
  • Love Boston. Lots to explore.
  • Close to home.
Cons
  • Expensive!! Very high COL would be restrictive. Difficult to have a car.
  • Lottery system for clinical rotations is not ideal.
  • Seems to be more demanding.
Summary: Really, this boils down to - I want to do a competitive specialty, but do not want a career in academia, considering step 1 is P/F, is the prestige edge and wealth of home residencies provided by BU or CWRU + true P/F [and no AOA] worth the expense? I think I would be roughly equally happy at all 3 schools.

EDIT: simplified
Where did you choose ?

@Putkernerinthehall -- VTC. I love the school and I want the freedom to choose whatever specialty I enjoy most without needing to worry about paying off 500K of debt for 10 years if that speciality of choice is not high-paying. If I end up wanting to match into a competitive specialty not represented at VTC, their match lists prove that it's entirely possible if you put in the work.

Reactions: 3 users