bu vs. detroit mercy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazycanuck

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me?

I have just recently found out that i have been accepted to both Boston University and Detroit Mercy-- Yah! But now comes the tough part of deciding which school to go with?! The initial attaction of BU is based on the difference in cities-- Boston vs. Detroit-- I think that Boston wins hands down. However, the difference in cost is substantial-- $100K more at BU. During my interview I had the chance to visit both facilities and I was really impressed with Detroit-- the clinics were new and the equipment was modern. Detroit also has a tonne of patients vs. BU - where you may be required to recrite your own. Being a Canadian the cost is a major issue, but I'm not sure how important reputation is? Most of the people I have talked to have never heard of Detroit.

Has anyone out there been faced with this decision? How important is reputation? What is the reputation of BU or Detroit Mercy>

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
crazycanuk,
yo kid please do yourself and your wallet a big favor and go to detroit. i have lived in boston for the past 3 years and happen to have friends attending all the 3 dental schools in the area. BU IS THE WORST! I am not kidding. I am sure it provides excellent education and all that but I have heard just too many negative things about it. Main point is the cost -- it is just too HIGH! (my friend from BU dental rates this as his #1 nightmare). And patients will be a problem not just at BU but in the city itself (my friends have told me of paying patients and having to wait for long time to get certain types of cases). Also remember Boston is an EXPENSIVE city to live -- i shelled out $1450 for a one-and-a-half bedroom and pay premium every time I go out to eat.
Are you really from Vancouver? If so get ready for some real drastic change in weather. I lived for a while in Vancouver near UBC campus and it was a blast! (esp. wreck beach!!) Boston is cold and annoyingly unpredictable (Detroit might be the same).
lemme know if u have any questions.
~crimson~
ps: Congrats on your accepts!

I think you already answered your own question. Detroit Mercy has new facilities and a good patient pool - you will probably get a good clinical exposure there. And you will be in less debt when you finish. Debt and exchange rates are something the Canadians in my class are always worried about since the strength of the dollar is somewhat different in the two countries. Recruiting patients can be very stressful. It is better if the school already has a system in place for getting them for you, one less thing you have to worry about, just concentrate on doing dentistry. After all, you are going to dental school and not just moving to a new city; I would say to look at the school before the location.

Dental school is what you make of it, I really don't believe that the reputation of the dental school plays a very big part of being a dentist if your credentials are strong (grades, clinic skills, letters of rec, board scores, etc.). I attend dental school where we have a very nice facility and a good patient pool, but our location is not exciting at all (Buffalo is probably similar to Detroit). By being in a less exciting place, there aren't as many distractions from studying, but as a school we still hold many fun events in the area.

Michigan and Massachusetts are both NERB states, so you could always work in Boston after dental school if you feel like you missed out on the Boston experience by atteniding Detroit.

shows what I know. Go to Detroit, my amigo is going there next year, he is from Toronto

•••quote:•••Originally posted by steiner19er:
•shows what I know. Go to Detroit, my amigo is going there next year, he is from Toronto•••••Thanks for the info!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by griffin04:
•I think you already answered your own question. Detroit Mercy has new facilities and a good patient pool - you will probably get a good clinical exposure there. And you will be in less debt when you finish. Debt and exchange rates are something the Canadians in my class are always worried about since the strength of the dollar is somewhat different in the two countries. Recruiting patients can be very stressful. It is better if the school already has a system in place for getting them for you, one less thing you have to worry about, just concentrate on doing dentistry. After all, you are going to dental school and not just moving to a new city; I would say to look at the school before the location.

Dental school is what you make of it, I really don't believe that the reputation of the dental school plays a very big part of being a dentist if your credentials are strong (grades, clinic skills, letters of rec, board scores, etc.). I attend dental school where we have a very nice facility and a good patient pool, but our location is not exciting at all (Buffalo is probably similar to Detroit). By being in a less exciting place, there aren't as many distractions from studying, but as a school we still hold many fun events in the area.

Michigan and Massachusetts are both NERB states, so you could always work in Boston after dental school if you feel like you missed out on the Boston experience by atteniding Detroit.•••••Thanks for the lengthy reply! You and others have pretty much confirmed my initial feelings. DETROIT HERE I COME!

Hello I graduated for Detroit back last century 1989. One advantage that hasn't been pointed out is that you could still live in Canada (Windsor,Ont.) and commute. Most of the US students were from Metro Detroit and moved home with Mom and Dad. I don't know how crossing the border would be since 9-11? But with theCDN dollar at .62 US rent and food might be better in Windsor. I went to the old school but have seen the new one and have a few classmates on staff. Many of the full time department heads where there when I was a student and the part time clinical staff too and are very dedicated to your education.

just checkin, detroit mercy is private?

Yes UDM is private however at one time if you were a Michigan resident there were tuition grants that made UofMichigan and UofDetroit a few hundred dollars different.