BU vs. Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nedryerson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sure you're all getting tired of these "one school vs. another" posts, but I need some input and I only have until Thursday to decide. Basically I'm trying to decide between the International Health programs at these two schools, and although I know Emory has a better reputation in the Public Health world, I think I'd rather be in Boston. I'm in the Peace Corps Masters International program and after returning, I'm going to try to go to medical school.

Will the name recognition at Emory make a huge difference in the long run, and am I crazy for turning down a cheaper, better program in a less cool city? I've spent a fair amount of time in Boston and Atlanta, and while I could live in Atlanta, I think I'd be much happier in Boston. Any input is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you already think Emory is better, go to Emory. Simple :)

Both are great programs. Its what you do during your MPH studies and after. Pick the one that will make you happier. Good luck with the M.I. program. I was a PCV but not in the M.I. program, and it was the best two years of my life~! I am going to Boston by the way as I think its the best fit for me (maybe not the best program that I was accepted into)

The name of your school has nothing to do with getting into med school or not. Go where you're happy, excel, and take as many classes as possible that are comparable to med school classes (i.e., immunology, physiology, biochem..anything in your curriculum that could be seen in a med school classroom so that med school admission boards know you can succeed with their type of classes)