BU vs. GW vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

publichealth123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now but have never posted, but thought I'd ask for some info from everyone who reads this. It looks like everyone has pretty helpful things to say.

I've been accepted to BU, GW, and Tulane for epi, but am really struggling with where to go. I'm really interested in infectious disease, and am hoping to do some kind of field epidemiology as a career, and possibly even join the EIS down the line (of course, that would have to be after obtaining a PhD...). Does anyone have any input on which school would be best for my interests? I'm stressing out as April 15th closely approaches!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure BU and GW have 4/15 deadlines? I mean, making the decision sooner rather than later is good, but don't let the deadline cause you more stress, especially if you aren't sure that it applies (it does not at Tulane or either of the schools I have been accepted at so far).

I only know about Tulane's epi since I went to their open house. Overall, the school is very applied and hands on, so you would get a lot of practical experience there. However, according to my notes, in general the emphasis is on chronic disease. Areas of focus include chronic, infectious, EOH, reproductive, clinical, and molecular/genetic. I have a sidenote about a project on Women's Education. The emphasis of the degrees are that the MS in clinical research is VERY research oriented, the MS in Epi is research oriented, and the MPH is moderate in research/more applied. If you want to read my notes on the school in general, check out the Tulane open house thread.

Sorry I can't provide input on the other two schools, but maybe this will help you somewhat.

GWU's epi department has a fair amount of focus on infectious disease, and plenty of interesting practicum opportunities in DC. Tulane's epi dept. has only a few faculty doing this (mostly HIV)- however their trop med. department does have an infectious disease focus and I think there would be plenty of coursework in ID as well as practicum opportunities. I don't know much about BU, but I have a friend who turned them down for her MPH specifically because their lack of an infectious disease program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I got in at BU and GWU for Health Policy and am having a really tough time figuring out which school is best for me. I also got a 12K merit award from BU. I will be paying out of state rates for either school. So confused!!! Any suggestions?