BU vs Hackensack Meridian (full-tuition scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhopeful2024

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was planning to attend BU for medical school - I live in Boston and have connections at the medical school and was excited to finally start medical school here - but I was recently offered a full-tuition scholarship at Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine and now I really don't know what to do. I would really appreciate any input!

Boston University:
Pros:
Training at BMC and in Boston in general, working with underserved populations
Previously mentioned connections to BUSM faculty
BU prestige and match list is impressive (I'm strongly considering a more competitive residency)

Cons:
$$$$, I would likely need to take out loans for full COA

Hackensack Meridian:
Pros:
Full-tuition scholarship
Close to family
Ability to graduate straight to residency in 3 years, though I wasn't necessarily psyched about going back to NJ for training

Cons:
Brand new medical school, they haven't graduated a class yet, unsure if the risk is worth the reward here
I'm not sold on the accelerated curriculum cutting out breaks - worried about an undue burden on mental health

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know what field you are interested in, where you would like to practice, and whether or not residency at Hackensack is guaranteed after 3 years?

Tough because I thought BU was great and has an awesome mission but is WAY TOO expensive.

Seems like a no-brainer. Hackensack Meridian for sure. Close to family, no loans, possibility to graduate in 3 years. I would take that in a heartbeat. I actually got rejected by Hackensack but got accepted to BUSM.
Plus BU is located in an unpleasant (and expensive) area and the medical school is old and claustrophobic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what field you are interested in, where you would like to practice, and whether or not residency at Hackensack is guaranteed after 3 years?
definitely a surgical subspecialty - leaning urology at this point

I'm not set on practicing in any particular area at this point! I honestly wasn't that psyched about going back to NJ to practice but it is close to family so it has some pros. Hackensack guarantees a residency spot in their hospital system but obviously can't guarantee that everyone gets the specialty they want.