BU vs. NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packratlabrat

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to get some more information about these schools.

Background: I have a cat and I do not trust my mom to take care of him for the first year while I get acclimated to a new city. I need to be able to find an affordable studio within walking distance of the school (max rent I could afford to pay is $1400/month). Additionally, I would prefer to live alone because my cat is old and he has medical problems. I'm flexible in terms of where I'll end up in residency but my only condition is staying in the New-England/Mid-atlantic region and urban setting. Finally, I like studying in coffeeshops or cafes so having access to those would be nice. Here are my pros/cons

BU
+ I have a strained relationship with my mom so creating a lot of distance physically would set natural boundaries
+ I've heard Boston is a very walkable city -- I don't drive often and I can't afford a car so I need to be able to get around on foot or public transport
+ I've found studio options that are cat-friendly (no or affordable cat-rent) that (appear) to be within walking distance of the school
+ Higher ranking (T30)
+ Better job prospects for my SO when he moves here (during M2)
+ When I visited my friend at BU there were so many cute cafes and coffeeshops and I've been to Boston specifically, where BU undergrad is multiple times so I'm slightly familiar with the area
- Loans -- I don't know how much aid I'll qualify for since I just submitted all my financial aid stuff yesterday (my EFC is 0)
- I saw a thread from May 2020 where someone said the clinical education and rotations were horrible at BU and the people you rotate think you should be grateful to attend BU

NJMS
+ I'm still being considered for the MD/PhD program here but I've already been accepted MD -- On the chance I get accepted I won't have to take loans (maybe a small amount to cover additional living costs) but I was awarded in-state tuition and a 20K scholarship if I do MD-only
+ Close to Manhattan which is cool
- I've never been here or remotely close to the Newark area
- My mom may or may not show up unexpectedly because the drive isn't too long (1.5 hours) -- this would probably stress me out to no end
- Newark can be a dangerous area from what I've heard
- Friend from NJ (not specifically newark) said public transit isn't as good as Philly
- I heard most students live in Jersey City and you need a car to get around for rotations (re: I don't have a car)
- I haven't been able to find a ton of studios that are cat friendly within walking distance of the school

I know from the list it seems pretty obvious but again a lot of this info is heresay from friends who live in NJ or from looking at old threads on here. I just need more insight honestly so please let me know if you guys agree or disagree with any of these pros/cons. Also if you know any other information that could make either area better or worse in my decision please share!

ETA: in terms of the schools themselves they’re both great fits! I liked both of them and in my mind they rank equally. The tie breaker would be the living situation and cost.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your personal situation is your own, but NJMS is very good medical school and has consistently great match lists, and a great reputation in the NE. Newark is however a bleh location - Jersey City/Hoboken are much better.

In state tuition + 20k scholarship would be a hard sell for BU - I don’t think the rank difference justifies that.

Your personal situation is your own, but NJMS is very good medical school and has consistently great match lists, and a great reputation in the NE. Newark is however a bleh location - Jersey City/Hoboken are much better.

In state tuition + 20k scholarship would be a hard sell for BU - I don’t think the rank difference justifies that.
Yeah I really liked NJMS but it’s the location and lifestyle fit that concerns me most. BU and NJMS from what I’ve learned at my interview days seemed pretty similar in opportunities offered and the research I’m interested in. Thank you for the input!

Seems like money is a challenge. NJMS would make that easier in terms of debt load. Seems that should override many of your other concerns, maybe?