BU vs. Tufts (MD/MBA focus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I attend BU or Tufts?

• Total voters

abar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lucky enough that I'm stuck with a very difficult choice to make. I was offered a spot at both Tufts Medical School and the BU School of Medicine. I'd really like to pursue an MD/MBA, and I know they both have good programs for that. Up until today, I was fairly certain I was going to Tufts. But I just found out that I've been awarded $80,000 at BU, which is a definite game changer.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or viewpoints on the decision. I'm really not sure how the match lists compare in terms of selectivity of residency programs, or how the MD/MBA programs compare in terms of quality. I'm hoping anyone with knowledge on these matters could also step in and inform me! I got better vibes from Tufts on the interview day, but I'll plan to attend both open houses.

Tufts:

Pros:
  • Newer facilities
  • Better location (I'm a Boston native, and I know that I like Chinatown more than where BU is)
  • 4 year MD/MBA program
  • Many close friends currently attending Tufts Medical
  • Potentially better name brand recognition (at least in the Boston area where I've grown up, it seems that the Tufts name carries more weight than BU)
Cons:
  • COST - In addition to the MD school tuition being ~3k more expensive per year, I received no scholarship
  • Lower US News ranking? Not sure if this matters in the slightest.
  • MD/MBA program may have less name recognition and be less rigorous (correct me if wrong?)

BU:

Pros:
  • Cheaper tuition and awarded $80,000 scholarship!
  • Higher ranking
  • Business school has more recognition, and my perception is that a 5 year program would give me a stronger business education
Cons:
  • Business program is 5 years (odd that it's a pro AND a con, but there is a trade off to make between rigor and time, as a shorter program means I get to become a physician a year sooner)
  • Location isn't as fun
  • Older buildings/facilities

Any input at all is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Was the BU scholarship included as part of your financial aid package?

Congrats! Was the BU scholarship included as part of your financial aid package?

Thank you! I actually didn't apply for financial aid as I'm fairly certain that I would not be eligible. It was just sent as a separate email earlier today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say BU by a long shot. You're basically in the same location either way, so follow the money. Also tufts is one of the most expensive schools in the country.

On another note, I'm not sure why you think tufts has more name recognition than BU. Maybe for undergrad, but certainly not for medical school. I mean both schools are great so no matter what, I think you will be happy and get the education you want, but I would say BU by a long shot. I would even say BU without the scholarship too.

Reactions: 4 users
A 4 year dual degree program sounds great in theory, but the medical school curriculum is already rigorous enough as it is. I couldn't imagine trying to do a second degree on top of that and still try to maintain something that resembles a life outside of school. Just something to think about!

Also, in terms of money, the scholarship may not make as much of a difference if it means you are spending an extra year at BU (which I'm assuming means you pay an extra years tuition).

There is absolutely no way Tufts MD/MBA program is worth the insane price tag.

There's also no reason you have to do your MBA at the same place you do your MD.

IMO these dual-degree programs are just a way to get more money out of impatient premeds who think the most important thing is to doing everything as fast and conveniently as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
There is absolutely no way Tufts MD/MBA program is worth the insane price tag.

There's also no reason you have to do your MBA at the same place you do your MD.

IMO these dual-degree programs are just a way to get more money out of impatient premeds who think the most important thing is to doing everything as fast and conveniently as possible.

I think there's definitely something to be said for knocking out an MBA in one or two years fewer if you're going the full time program route. If you look at it from a purely financial perspective, it gives you another 1-2 years to work at your peak earning potential, which is likely to be fairly high. There's at least a perception that the 'executive MBA' part time programs are not as rigorous.

Does anyone have any perception of the quality and perception of the BU program vs. the Tufts one?

Depends on what you are going into, both MBA programs aren't exactly top notch, but like the guy said above me, if you are planning on really, actually using that MBA, that 1 year faster degree at Tufts could mean you get another full year of executive level salary which would very likely be >>>80k. But it really really depends on your situation, what you plan to do, and if you can be successful in doing it.

I have heard from Boston area physicians that BUs clinical training is very good, and has an edge on Tufts in that respect. Obviously, Tufts is also a great school and you'll get excellent training.

On the MBA, I personally would not consider a dual degree program that expensive. It's absurd, and actually unethical if you ask me. Also consider your mind might completely change on what you want in a career which is many years away. I guess if you could get a signed, notarized in blood letter saying that you will be handed a .5 mil. starting salary after residency it's worth it, but to me it sounds a little crazy, especially since it's not exactly harvard business school.

I have heard from Boston area physicians that BUs clinical training is very good, and has an edge on Tufts in that respect. Obviously, Tufts is also a great school and you'll get excellent training.

On the MBA, I personally would not consider a dual degree program that expensive. It's absurd, and actually unethical if you ask me. Also consider your mind might completely change on what you want in a career which is many years away. I guess if you could get a signed, notarized in blood letter saying that you will be handed a .5 mil. starting salary after residency it's worth it, but to me it sounds a little crazy, especially since it's not exactly harvard business school.

I'm surprised to hear that you think it's such an expensive program. It's the same education as a 2 year MBA program which would cost more, and which business school attendees traditionally pay. In fact, an executive MBA that a physician might take after graduating residency will sometimes cost more because they know they can get more out of you.

I'm surprised to hear that you think it's such an expensive program. It's the same education as a 2 year MBA program which would cost more, and which business school attendees traditionally pay. In fact, an executive MBA that a physician might take after graduating residency will sometimes cost more because they know they can get more out of you.

I am not sure why some people think it's necessary to go to HBS or your MBA is worthless. I am actually your year, and I got into the Tufts MD MBA. Sure, the name is not fantastic for the b-school, but as a future doctor, it would strike me as strange if someone were to ask me where I got my MBA before they ask where I got my MD. It wouldn't hurt to do MBA at a top b-school, but in my personal and potentially biased opinion, I don't think where you get your MBA matters much.

Actually where you got your MBA is very important. Each MBA school has a different focus. This is where the big names win.

However, if you are combining it with an MD then you may want to check out the MBA curriculum from each school and see which is more lined up with your interests. If MBA curriculum is integrated with healthcare, it would probably be more useful.