BU vs Tufts vs Brown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHeartMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I might only be able to attend two of the three of these programs...if so, which two are best in terms of rep? thanks for your opinions.

J

Members don't see this ad.

DrJ-Bond said:
Hi guys,

I might only be able to attend two of the three of these programs...if so, which two are best in terms of rep? thanks for your opinions.

J

Of course Brown is the best ! :) (Brown class of 2002)
I don't know much about BU but I was told by a Tufts med student that housestaffs were generally unhappy there. Also the stereotype is that people go to Tufts because they are not good enough for MGH, BWH, BID but still wanna live in Boston.
I heard that Brown is a fairly decent program, and Providence is real nice. Great attendings. Awesome VA hospital.

Legend said:
Of course Brown is the best ! :) (Brown class of 2002)
I don't know much about BU but I was told by a Tufts med student that housestaffs were generally unhappy there. Also the stereotype is that people go to Tufts because they are not good enough for MGH, BWH, BID but still wanna live in Boston.
I heard that Brown is a fairly decent program, and Providence is real nice. Great attendings. Awesome VA hospital.

hey, I would also like more info on BU vs. Tufts.... i can imagine that they would be thought of as lesser programs, in the face of such renowned Harvard affiliates right next door. but i've heard that the actual training at both places is quite good. can anyone comment on the teaching, autonomy, camaraderie etc?

also, i know boston is a great city, but i have a few friends who actually don't like it, for reasons that aren't very clear to me... are there any distinct negatives about living in boston that i might be unaware of?

thanks in advance
Z.

Members don't see this ad :)
can't comment on Tufts, besides that it has tremedous financial troubles, or Brown....
But on BU...strong clinical training program, certainly not as academic as BW or BI, but more then enough academics for sure...cards and GI are thought of as the 2nd best fellowship programs in town...(this is Boston..one has to digest this for a moment) fellowship placement especially in these 2 fields, but also in Pum/CC, which has the 3rd largest NIH funding in the country, are pretty much as good as it gets.

But the real test is the VA, which is shared with BW and BI...
You will find, that
1. the BU intern/resident runs the ward and is competent in every aspect of clinical management of his/hers pts.
2. The BW can quote even the most miniscule paper/case report on any given disease..AND if he is good, will be competent in every aspect of clinical management of his/hers pts.
3. the BI intern/resident has his paints full, for there is no attending telling him what to do and holding his hand as it happens to be at BI

of course...this is an exgagerated picture..but then again, it is not.....

take it for what it may be worth to you

just spent a month in Boston, whats not to like:

1. Weather
2. Cost of living
3. Traffic

I would go with Brown>BU>Tufts in terms of how residents are regarded and treated, and both Brown and BU are regarded about the same in reputation, Tufts-NEMC does not have quite the reputation or spectrum of patient diversity that the other 2 programs have, as Brown and BU are multi-hospital programs. I went to Tufts for med school as med school, so I do have a little of an inside perspective. I would pick BU, Brown, UMass, and possibly Dartmouth over Tufts-NEMC, with the caveat that Dartmouth is very academic but has a big disadvantage of lacking patient diversity (at least in terms of race).

thanks guys...actually brown self-selected...I responded a bit late and they said their interview dates are booked...oh well...I put a date down and said call me if they have an opening...I guess we'll see...got BU and tufts scheduled up though...

Small program, only categoricals. Housestaff are happy. Great learning, great patient diversity. Friendly and experienced PD, excellent comraderie, decent hospital. Hospital used to have financial difficulties but is doing much better. In the heart of Chinatown -> great food! No dilution by the fellows. Excellent morning reports & teaching. Great attendings! I can't speak highly enough of the housestaff.

CONS: only places to eat in the hospital are Au Bon Pain, Dunkin Donuts, and over at Floating Hospital

I've heard the pay is low compared with the Harvard hospitals - what do you expect?

Tufts > UMASS without a doubt

phatfarm said:
Small program, only categoricals. Housestaff are happy. Great learning, great patient diversity. Friendly and experienced PD, excellent comraderie, decent hospital. Hospital used to have financial difficulties but is doing much better. In the heart of Chinatown -> great food! No dilution by the fellows. Excellent morning reports & teaching. Great attendings! I can't speak highly enough of the housestaff.

CONS: only places to eat in the hospital are Au Bon Pain, Dunkin Donuts, and over at Floating Hospital

I've heard the pay is low compared with the Harvard hospitals - what do you expect?

Tufts > UMASS without a doubt

How fascinating then, that in other threads, Tufts is not in your Top 6, and you seem set on going to UCSF or MGH. Guess all the warm fuzziness of NEMC (what an oxymoron) isn't enough to offset the prestige (and warm weather), and who can blame you? I suppose you are a Tufts student (probably AOA based on where you got interviews, congrats, I was definitely NOT) as I was. I am basing my comments mostly on my experiences in other departments at NEMC and hearsay from others. I will grant that Tufts' fellowship placement and the prestige of where residents went to school is better than UMASS's (though y'all have sent people to UMASS for Cards and GI) or Dartmouth's, and I absolutely love Boston. But, at Tufts, with the exception of the time I spent at Faulkner and Baystate, I never really felt like I fit in as a WASK female from a less than wealthy family who went to a state school for undergrad. At UMASS, I feel SO comfortable talking with and socializing with everyone; no one here cares that I'm not Jewish or Asian or that I don't have a big engagement rock on my finger. And no one cares at all here if you went to Harvard for undergrad or whether or not you were AOA. I am happy and my confidence in myself as a physician has taken off here. If I don't get a fellowship at MGH or UCSF, I'll live.

If you like one-hospital programs with many Mandarin and Catonese speaking patients (which is awesome if you speak either language), and good critical care, NEMC is a solid program. If you are into multiple hospital programs with even more diverse populations and/or programs that have a more of a geographical stronghold (i.e. no competition from other local programs), I would go with programs like Brown and even lowly old UMASS in Woosta. Of course, the majority of people on this board seem to be $#**ing themselves over being rejected by BWH and MGH, dear Lord, get over it already! :rolleyes: to each his own, I suppose. Definitely preaching to the wrong choir on here..

irlandesa said:
How fascinating then, that in other threads, Tufts is not in your Top 6, and you seem set on going to UCSF or MGH. Guess all the warm fuzziness of NEMC (what an oxymoron) isn't enough to offset the prestige (and warm weather), and who can blame you? I suppose you are a Tufts student (probably AOA based on where you got interviews, congrats, I was definitely NOT) as I was. I am basing my comments mostly on my experiences in other departments at NEMC and hearsay from others. I will grant that Tufts' fellowship placement and the prestige of where residents went to school is better than UMASS's (though y'all have sent people to UMASS for Cards and GI) or Dartmouth's, and I absolutely love Boston. But, at Tufts, with the exception of the time I spent at Faulkner and Baystate, I never really felt like I fit in as a WASK female from a less than wealthy family who went to a state school for undergrad. At UMASS, I feel SO comfortable talking with and socializing with everyone; no one here cares that I'm not Jewish or Asian or that I don't have a big engagement rock on my finger. And no one cares at all here if you went to Harvard for undergrad or whether or not you were AOA. I am happy and my confidence in myself as a physician has taken off here. If I don't get a fellowship at MGH or UCSF, I'll live.

If you like one-hospital programs with many Mandarin and Catonese speaking patients (which is awesome if you speak either language), and good critical care, NEMC is a solid program. If you are into multiple hospital programs with even more diverse populations and/or programs that have a more of a geographical stronghold (i.e. no competition from other local programs), I would go with programs like Brown and even lowly old UMASS in Woosta. Of course, the majority of people on this board seem to be $#**ing themselves over being rejected by BWH and MGH, dear Lord, get over it already! :rolleyes: to each his own, I suppose. Definitely preaching to the wrong choir on here..

Actually, not AOA and NEMC will be in my top 6. But doing so would cause heads to roll b/c of what would fall to 7. But I basically outed myself with this post anyways. I'm just proud of our program. I know the training is good which has allowed me to get awesome interviews despite crappy scores.

Regardless, you bring up the most important point - go where you feel most comfortable. Good luck in Wooster!