Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

BU vs Tulane vs GWU

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by mimiluau, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mimiluau

Other Health Professions Student
    Ok i said I always told myself I wasn't going to be the person that posted asking this sort of question and I thought I was pretty certain where I wanted to go (Tulane)... but now I'm uncertain...

My choices are:

BU (MPH Health Policy and Management/MBA)
    Pros
    -Pretty good alumni network
    -Learn about policy and management questions relating to healthcare that are obviously quite important
    -Program is probably quite marketable as far as future job prospects
    Cons
    Really expensive
    Not really where my heart is

Tulane (MPH Global Maternal and Child Health)
    Pros
    This is my real interest
    Everyone I've spoken to has had good things to say about it
    Cons
    Isn't New Orleans kind of far away from many public health-type agencies
    I don't know about alumni network
    Don't know much about post-Katrina recession

GWU (MPH Global Health)
    Pros
    -Excellent location for access to international agencies etc
    -I have a genuine interest in the program
    Cons
    I feel a little "meh" about it, not really that excited, I don't know why...

I'm kind of desperate to get feedback as my decision dates are quite close (the end of the week)...argh!!!!

Please help!

Thanks,
    MimiLuau

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JP1120

Those were actually my top three schools (although I was also considering UAB because they offered me money). I may be biased, but here are my impressions...

Tulane- I visited Tulane and spoke to students and faculty specifically about the Global Maternal and Child Health concentration... I liked that it was a dual concentration. I also liked that it was created so students could have the knowledge to work both abroad and within the United States. I didn't like that the program was so structured... there wasn't as much room to take electives because it was a dual major. I heard from a few people how they weren't able to take a class that they wanted because it wouldn't count toward their degree. I think New Orleans would be an interesting place to live, and if you're looking to work outside of school they have this really good Tulane Xavier National Center of Excellence in Women's Health (TUXCOE). I chose not to go to Tulane because it was geared towards full-time students, meaning they didn't have many night classes.

GWU- I was actually accepted into the Global Health Program as well. I loved GW's location and thoroughly enjoyed the Open House. I liked the flexibility that allows you to work full-time, and, of course, the location. I personally felt like the Global Health program was still in this "polishing" faze where things were being changed around (including faculty) and it was kind of a work in progress. (Ultimately this is one of the reasons why I chose BU).

BU- Loved the school when I went to visit (International Health concentration). I am also worried about how expensive it is so I plan on working full-time and going to school part-time at night (something like 46% of students do this). Many colleges and medical centers in Boston, so I feel like I will have a better chance of getting a clinical research/coordinator position that I want (I've actually already turned down a job offer b/c of salary and I have a phone interview for another after a week of sending out resumes). Programs are very flexible and I can take classes within all the departments.

Like I said... I'm biased because I already made my decision, but these are the factors that influence me, personally. Hope it helps somewhat...

I would love to hear others opinions if anyone else would like to comment :)