BU vs. UNE vs. OSU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izgohabsgo

Reaction score
School 1: BU
Pros:
  • Closest to home, and I'd like to practice in Massachusetts
  • Brand new clinic
  • Strong focus on technology, Invisalign cert available
  • Never been involved with things like this, but has a Persian Student Dental Association
  • APEX and 4th year externships
Cons:
  • Most expensive of the 3 schools (roughly 500k)
  • Graded, not P/F.
  • Unanswered questions: how strong is BU clinically? what is the culture of the class like- competitive or collaborative?
School 2: UNE CDM
Pros:
  • Still pretty close to home, Portland is a nice city
  • Cheaper than BU (400k roughly)
  • New Oral Health Center
  • Smaller class size, P/F
  • Vertical Integration, more clinical experience due to no residencies at the school
Cons:
  • Newer, less established school
  • No specialties offered there, less opportunity to specialize if that's what I want to do?
  • Not an extensive alumni network, harder but not impossible to find work in private practice (esp in Massachusetts?)
School 3: Ohio State (OOS)
Pros:
  • Cheapest School I got into (350-360k after 2nd year switch to In State tuition)
  • Postle Hall renovations set to take effect as soon as my D1- brand new clinic
  • Living and studying on a huge campus with sports, libraries, gyms
Cons:
  • I've never been to OSU, Columbus, or Ohio at all
  • Few OOS students enroll in this program, why? Is it harder to move back to where you came from (Massachusetts?)
  • Generally, I know much less about this school than the other 2
Summary: I am also applying to HPSP, but that decision comes after I have to put in my deposits. With the HPSP, I think I would pick BU because it's the closest to home, having access to the new clinic and networking opportunities in Boston with the other 2 schools.
Without the HPSP, cost would dictate me going to Ohio State, but I definitely want to learn more about the school and city before I commit, and traveling there is much less of an option this year with COVID. If anyone who goes/went to these schools could comment or message me, I'd love to hear their perspectives! Also, if I have different school rankings based on HPSP, should I ask for an extension from the schools or do I just put down multiple deposits?

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: BU
Pros:
  • Closest to home, and I'd like to practice in Massachusetts
  • Brand new clinic
  • Strong focus on technology, Invisalign cert available
  • Never been involved with things like this, but has a Persian Student Dental Association
  • APEX and 4th year externships
Cons:
  • Most expensive of the 3 schools (roughly 500k)
  • Graded, not P/F.
  • Unanswered questions: how strong is BU clinically? what is the culture of the class like- competitive or collaborative?
School 2: UNE CDM
Pros:
  • Still pretty close to home, Portland is a nice city
  • Cheaper than BU (400k roughly)
  • New Oral Health Center
  • Smaller class size, P/F
  • Vertical Integration, more clinical experience due to no residencies at the school
Cons:
  • Newer, less established school
  • No specialties offered there, less opportunity to specialize if that's what I want to do?
  • Not an extensive alumni network, harder but not impossible to find work in private practice (esp in Massachusetts?)
School 3: Ohio State (OOS)
Pros:
  • Cheapest School I got into (350-360k after 2nd year switch to In State tuition)
  • Postle Hall renovations set to take effect as soon as my D1- brand new clinic
  • Living and studying on a huge campus with sports, libraries, gyms
Cons:
  • I've never been to OSU, Columbus, or Ohio at all
  • Few OOS students enroll in this program, why? Is it harder to move back to where you came from (Massachusetts?)
  • Generally, I know much less about this school than the other 2
Summary: I am also applying to HPSP, but that decision comes after I have to put in my deposits. With the HPSP, I think I would pick BU because it's the closest to home, having access to the new clinic and networking opportunities in Boston with the other 2 schools.
Without the HPSP, cost would dictate me going to Ohio State, but I definitely want to learn more about the school and city before I commit, and traveling there is much less of an option this year with COVID. If anyone who goes/went to these schools could comment or message me, I'd love to hear their perspectives! Also, if I have different school rankings based on HPSP, should I ask for an extension from the schools or do I just put down multiple deposits?
put down more than one deposit if your hpsp application is strong...

the reason fewer oos people go to OSU is that there are lots of IS students there

put down more than one deposit if your hpsp application is strong...

the reason fewer oos people go to OSU is that there are lots of IS students there
What I'm struggling with is if I ultimately want to work in New England/Massachusetts, if the extra 50k is worth it to go to UNE, or if there is a large difference between UNE and OSU? Seems like it would be easier to network out of UNE, but not impossible at OSU

What I'm struggling with is if I ultimately want to work in New England/Massachusetts, if the extra 50k is worth it to go to UNE, or if there is a large difference between UNE and OSU? Seems like it would be easier to network out of UNE, but not impossible at OSU
Then yes, it might be worth it to attend une despite the cost difference