BU vs UPENN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shraz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are able to choose b/w BU and UPENN, which on you will choose, and most importantly : WHY...??

Members don't see this ad.

shraz said:
If you are able to choose b/w BU and UPENN, which on you will choose, and most importantly : WHY...??

Upenn is definetely a great school and its very hard to get into as they see the applicants overall package . People rarely loose the seat once they got into Upenn, unless they have any personal preferences like place and their convenience. On top of that its an Ivy League school and one of the top dental schools in USA.

shraz said:

Upenn is definitely a great school and its very hard to get into as they see the applicants overall package . People rarely loose the seat once they got into Upenn, unless they have any personal preferences like place and their convenience. On top of that its an Ivy League school and one of the top dental schools in USA.

Finally the call is urs.
If had a chance defnitely i would go to Upenn over BU.
Btw did u get into both the schools?
Anyways all the very best for ur future!!

Members don't see this ad :)
shraz said:

I was interviewed at both the schools and accepted at both.I liked BU more than UPenn .There is a lot of hype regarding Upenn per se.The clinics are small,chairs are old and staff is okay.I have a great profile and I earned it with lot of hardwork.I ain't take any nonsense for anyone.I think the admissions comittee at Upenn does not realise the fact that applicants need to be treated well.

On the contrary Boston ,Beautiful city .School is better .The staff is very very supportive and helpful.I have chosen Boston.

dentall said:
I was interviewed at both the schools and accepted at both.I liked BU more than UPenn .There is a lot of hype regarding Upenn per se.The clinics are small,chairs are old and staff is okay.I have a great profile and I earned it with lot of hardwork.I ain't take any nonsense for anyone.I think the admissions comittee at Upenn does not realise the fact that applicants need to be treated well.

On the contrary Boston ,Beautiful city .School is better .The staff is very very supportive and helpful.I have chosen Boston.

Completely agree. Not to mention BU has a shorter program (22 months) and Upenn has 2 years + a summer. It also costs additional 20 Grands for the summer that cannot come from loan package.

Also Upenn campus looks very rough to me. Job prospects and life style, you cannot beat Boston on the east coast.

dentall said:

The admission committee of Upen think THEY have the power to judge if you are qualified. Your part I score and your experience are nothing to them. They want to use this way to distinguish them from other schools.

I was interviewed by Upen first and got waiting list. After I got BU acceptance, I reject Upen later.

Hey Hzq838

Didn't know you got into BU until now :D . Congratulations. All the best in dental school

hzq838 said:
The admission committee of Upen think THEY have the power to judge if you are qualified. Your part I score and your experience are nothing to them. They want to use this way to distinguish them from other schools.

I was interviewed by Upen first and got waiting list. After I got BU acceptance, I reject Upen later.

Long time no see. How you been?

hzq838 said:

BEGGERS ARE NOT CHOSERS .... :luck:

cheer_up said:
Hey Hzq838

Didn't know you got into BU until now :D . Congratulations. All the best in dental school

Thanks.

Actually I got my acceptance from BU on November 1, 2005, 9 days after my interview. Thank you for your congratulations and wish you the best.

hzq838

BDS-DMD said:
Long time no see. How you been?

Thanks for still remembering me. You have done a great job in managing the forum.

UPenn is definitely a great school and better than BU. But the admission committee seemed to be too much self-centered and judgemental. This is just my personal opinion and might not be true. I am not offending those who are accepted by UPenn. Actually I am a little bit jealous of you guys. You got in a wonderful school!! God bless you.

BU is also a good school even though it is less famous than UPenn in some fields. I was contented to be accepted in BU and thanked God very much for giving me such an opportunity to continue my dental career. Also I have to mention that SDN and fellows like all of you helped me a lot.

Thanks to everyone and God bless you!

hzq838

my heartiest congratulations to u on ur acceptance!all the best! :thumbup:
dentall said:

my heartiest congratulations!best of luck for a gr8 future! :thumbup:
hzq838 said:
Thanks for still remembering me. You have done a great job in managing the forum.

UPenn is definitely a great school and better than BU. But the admission committee seemed to be too much self-centered and judgemental. This is just my personal opinion and might not be true. I am not offending those who are accepted by UPenn. Actually I am a little bit jealous of you guys. You got in a wonderful school!! God bless you.

BU is also a good school even though it is less famous than UPenn in some fields. I was contented to be accepted in BU and thanked God very much for giving me such an opportunity to continue my dental career. Also I have to mention that SDN and fellows like all of you helped me a lot.

Thanks to everyone and God bless you!

hzq838

shraz said:
I .was accepted in both UPENN and BU. I went in BU, and I don't regret it at all. reasons - a lot, let first say - 10-15G $ for summer course in UPENN coming "out of the pocket" ; Boston is amazing city, I totally love it ; a friend of mine - his wife is in UPENN, so recently I met her and we talk about our schools and she was so tired and tensed about her program - how's that sound - 1450 points needed for graduation - one MO amalgam filing = 2 points; being in a class with a students all graduated out of the states and coming from a different countries, is a lot better in a term of making friends and having a good time out - I mean it is way easier to make new friends than trying to fit in an existing group of people who have been in ivy school for a two years already ; BU - shortest program ; if u had good previous experience with patients - in BU u will have one year clinic, which for the people who know how much STRES is to deal with patients in these programs ( in a terms of finding proper patient, make him keep all appointments, go well with the faculty and so...) this is much better than dealing with all that crap for 2 years (crap = all non clinical aspect of your work in the dental school - as I mentioned before - dealing with the faculty, patients that always coming late - if they come at all, in upenn - with insurance company, constantly searching for a someone to "sing up " and aprove and preaprove,for everything, and so and so...) Do u know that before even start doing a simple MO filing, your patient must come sometime for at least 3 appointments and pray GOD he don't need any post doc consults. I'm sure that UPENN is a great school, and I'm not saying that BU is better, I'm just making my point why I like BU.

DDS08 said:
Completely agree. Not to mention BU has a shorter program (22 months) and Upenn has 2 years + a summer. It also costs additional 20 Grands for the summer that cannot come from loan package.
.[/QUOTE

A very important fact to consider.