1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Budget Cuts

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by Perrotfish, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So it's (almost) official: the debt deal is in and it was the DoD, more than anything else, that took a hit. We're a huge chunk of the initial budget cuts, and we'll be taking another hit if they can't figure out a better way to trim the budget in a year.

So, rumor mill time: anyone heard anything about where the military is going to trim the fat? Any chance this is going to come out of healthcare or GME? Is one service going to be affected more or less than the others? I read the thread about eliminating pensions, I was wondering if there were any other 'innovations' floating around.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IgD

IgD The Lorax
    10+ Year Member

I'm betting military pay including medical special pay will be cut. Maybe they will increase the co-pays on prescription drugs. How else can they cut healthcare?

4. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Who knows how it will impact special pays. I do know, I am locked in until 2015.:rolleyes:

5. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have heard that the multi year special pay is going to take a huge hit. Supposedly the other pays aren't going to be touched. I expect, if this is true, retention after the initial HPSP commitment will only be even worse than it already is.

My opinion is that if we as a country are hemorrhaging money to the point of having to cut the DoD budget and risk retaining critical personnel, we need to leave the middle east. How many trillions would that save?

6. narcusprince

narcusprince Rough Rider
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What about a system where they double our commitment and get rid of specialty pays and allow us to sign with local groups and allow us to staff the military 1/4 of the time( and allow us to work with local groups in town.

#5 narcusprince, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  7. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At which point your alarm goes off and you wake up.

8. AF M4

AF M4 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wait for the Obamacare "safety net" to be established. Then slash Tricare, particularly for retirees, or increase fees/make it so onerous that few enrollees want to be a part of it and even fewer providers want to take it. Close medical facilities and discharge personnel as allowed by decreasing enrollment.

This essentially transfers the responsibility for the health care of the veteran population from one arm of the federal government (the DoD) to another (Medicare), so it doesn't save the public any money. But the expense is off the DoD's books and they can spend the money elsewhere.

9. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    [Bolds mine]

Unless they are of Medicare-qualifying age, usually a lot older than the typical retiree beneficiary with Tricare, at least initially. If a substantial segment of the military retiree population retiring after 20 years has another 25 to 30 years before becoming eligible for Medicare, Tricare will still be essential unless those people have private insurance from a second career or a spouse. The choice won't be Medicare, but if Tricare is cut out for retirees, it could easily be Medicaid, or whatever entity will be offered to those without employer-sponsored coverage who are too young for Medicare.

You don't want Medicaid. Trust me on that.

10. AF M4

AF M4 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with your points, and I don't think that the younger retirees would find Medicaid palatable at all.

In any scenario where there arises an opportunity to put current Tricare enrollees onto a politically palatable alternative, the DoD obviously has to leap at the chance to plug the money drain. The leaders have already chafed under Secretary Gates' cutting of several favorite weapons programs, and whenever they see someone cashing a retirement check or a reimbursement for their pharmaceuticals, they wonder how many F22s those dependents are costing them.

So from the DoD's perspective, the long-term goal is to make the health care of veterans someone else's problem. This is completely and totally sane.

11. wingbowlchamp3

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not sure a backhanded criticism to the President was necessary...especially when he was pushing for revenue increases with the cuts. the right wing of the republican party is leaving him with very little options.

maybe all the people who blindly attack obama need to see what slash and burn, republican economics looks like. clearly it's not just poor minority free loaders who will be affected by these cuts. they need to watch all the things they've depended on disappear without rich people ever being asked to pay their fair share.

12. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How does the Kool-Aid taste?

The Affordable Care Act is a poorly conceived law which is likely to be found un-Constitutional.

As for "fair share", this is a tired plattitude. Does our tax code need revision....oh yes. Do we need to eliminate subsidies and loopholes......again yes. But simply complaining that people of means do not pay their fair share when almost half pay nothing( in income tax) or actually get more back than was withheld on their tax return, we will have to agree to disagree.

13. AF M4

AF M4 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wasn't criticizing the president at all. I was simply referring to Obamacare as a "safety net" that would catch everyone that was disenrolled from their prior insurance plan. From what I've read about Obamacare, this seems to be the plan's explicit purpose. Therefore I was repeating a fact, not registering an opinion.

Go push your agenda elsewhere.

14. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What local group would hire us if we could be deployed and/or PCS'd at any given time?

It might work out for only a few specialties. You could never build any kind of decent civilian career that way though. You'd always be the most junior person at the practice, working saturday and sunday and taking all the call. You'd be much better off doing your military obligation and getting out and starting a real career.

15. AF M4

AF M4 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

True that. You'd always be trying to serve two masters, and neither one would be all that pleased with you. This is one reason why I never really considered the reserves or ANG: the fact that I could be pulled at any time would always be lurking in the back of my employers' minds, especially when they're deciding on partners.