Buffalo or Stony brook? Living at home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loanne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at a complete stand still between the two and can't make up my mind. I like both schools, and even left both interviews with warm fuzzy feelings lol.

Here's what complicates things for me: I live about 15 minutes away from Stony Brook, and thus I would be living at home if I went there. This is great in that I'd be saving a lot, but at the same time, my family can be, um, overbearing... Also, in terms of night life, long island kind of sucks. And its expensive. Buffalo, from what I hear, seems to be more fun and has a relatively low cost of living. I'm a fan of new experiences and living somewhere new, but then again, the cold long winters sounds terrible.

I realize it'll ultimately come down to where I'd feel more comfortable and where I'd want to be, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any kind of input. Anyone living at home?

Members don't see this ad.

I really like buffalo, but it has kinda old facilities. Haven't seen stony yet. Although, Buffalo is one of my top choices that wait listed me. So if you drop it.. there are others of us that would be more than happy to take it.:D. Go with your gut! :xf:

Go to Buffalo!! lol no j/k. its up to you really. Either hang with us cool guys, or go to buff and freeze thy ass off with the not as cool guys =D.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of me wishes I had applied to Buffalo...I know people who went there for undergrad and they ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. There is not a whole lot to do on Long Island for nightlife, I can say from experience, so if that's your kind of thing and you enjoy going out with friends, I'd say Buffalo is a better match for you. My sister's husband went to Buffalo and LOVED it..he didn't mind the cold winters at all, and I'm sure it's beautiful-you're also close enough to go to Canada whenever you want, which is awesome. Sometimes, when it's time for change, it's time for change. I went away for undergrad and it was such a great change and totally worth it. My advice would be to go where you think you'd enjoy your life the most since class will be stressful enough. You don't need extra pressure. If your family gets you down, maybe you need some space for a little while. And plus..you're deciding between two state schools...either way, you are saving THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars!!! So I wouldn't stay hung up on the money if I were you..I wouldn't stay at home if I weren't going to enjoy it. Plus you're right about living expenses being much cheaper in Buffalo. In the long run, you won't be saving much more just by living at home-it might even be worth the little extra money to experience something new. You are saving by Buffalo being a state school. (An NYU bill PLUS NYC living expenses is way more expensive for me...)

They are both great schools! But if you go to Stony Brook you'll get to hang out with the cool guys like Peter said LOL.. i loved both schools as well. Whichever you choose, you will get a great education!

Buffalo is way too colddd =P but you are 15 min. away from stonybrook, so why would you want to travel 8 hours up north to buffalo for the same education/price/lifestyle school? yeah, you can go to canada to enjoy nightlife at buffalo, but you can also travel 1 hour to NYC to enjoy nightlife at stonybrook =D

Also, staying close to home sounds boring, but you don't realize how much more convenient it would be, especially if you commute from home. dealing with rent, subletting, and lease contracts alone is a deal breaker for me!

oh yeah one more thing loanne...

if you're a girl, come to stony with us...but if you're a guy, go to buffalo! hahah jk

oh yeah one more thing loanne...

if you're a girl, come to stony with us...but if you're a guy, go to buffalo! hahah jk

ROFL whlee good observation. I think so far we're a frikin sausage party. :thumbdown:

hey, sorry, i'm new to this thing, and saw something on another thread that i was curious about and couldn't find again.

i saw on another buffalo thread earlier that someone said that they called and found they were alternate listed..i havent heard of such a position and was just curious about it. Is that above the wait listed applicants and means those alternate listed will be first to be called upon receiving candidate's denials? Any information that any of you guys might have on the wait/alternate list would be great, I simply thought there was acceptance and wait listing, thanks.

Thanks a lot, the forums have helped me out a ton.

hey, come to stony so we may hit up J and R Steak house and do the 76 ounce steak challenge.. and get it for free and be famous....

or

just come for the friggin good weather.

Go to Buffalo! Live your life and enjoy it! If all there is to look forward on Long Island is a 76 oz. steak...experience something new! Change is good..can't stay home forever. Buff life is fun and way cheaper! And a great school. How exciting..good luck :)!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Buffalo! Live your life and enjoy it! If all there is to look forward on Long Island is a 76 oz. steak...experience something new! Change is good..can't stay home forever. Buff life is fun and way cheaper! And a great school. How exciting..good luck :)!!!

Hmm... just saw AllSmiles009 suggest someone should go to columbia over stony in the stony acceptance thread. Now he/shes telling someone to go to buff over stony here aswell. And, its a brand new account since he/she only has these two posts, both of which telling people to NOT choose stony. So its fairly obvious that this account was newly made just for that specific purpose. Hmm, now why would someone make a brand new account just to tell people not to go to stony? It doesn't add up...

As compared to where??

Much better weather at Long Island vs. Buffalo? I mean... if you consider freezing temperature and a ton of snow to be a good quality then i can't say the same for you...

Much better weather at Long Island vs. Buffalo? I mean... if you consider freezing temperature and a ton of snow to be a good quality then i can't say the same for you...

I was just making sure that you were comparing stony and buff and not sying that in general stony has nice weather. LOL compared to florida or california, stony is the north pole.

I think winters are OK unless you come from sunny states. And you'll be studying in the school and not working outside, also ice hockey and skating are fun activities too if stay warm. But, at the end, go where you live close by and save some money for d-school or repaying loans. At the end everybody would have a DDS/DMD after his/her name.IMO thou. And you can find fun everywhere if you really want it :)

Hey congrats all on your acceptances!

I'm a D1 at SB, and believe me you, even 15 minutes away from school could be alot, especially when traffic hits. And you'll be getting out of class right when the rush starts. The cheapest way to live in SB is to get a house with some mates. Saving money is good, but living where you are most comfortable is "priceless."

hey, anyone know if stony has a laptop requirement that they require you to buy or someting? thanks

Astral, they give you a list of spec requirements and you buy whatever you want as long as it meets those requirements. Everyone is required to have a laptop.

My roommate who went to Buffalo undergrad got accepted to both Buffalo and Stony dental. He choose stony in a heart beat. I strongly encourage you to attend Stony, especially if you wish to practice on Long Island. The dental community on the island is very involved with Stony.

I agree, Stony is a very good school.

do you think living at home you'll be able to put full focus in school?? or maybe u'll b studying in school ?

if you think you can handle living independently then get ready to be adventurous, experience new things, stay away from family issues, pluz Buffalo is a great city too,...so why not Buffalo!!!!

Buffalo? No way

Stony, straight up.

Thanks for all the input guys! It's going to be a close call… If I'm looking solely at academics and things, I think I may like stony better because of the small class size and their rep for specializing… but the idea of moving back home after being away for 4 years kinda makes me sad haha. And it'd be silly for me to live elsewhere, when I live so close to SB already and long island being so expensive. Nightlife is kind of important to me, so UB wins there. Also my brother went to UB and loved it… so yeah. Tricky lol

Your night life won't last very long.