Buffalo, Rochester, waiting, and me....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsouth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...
I have a question (or questions) that I'm not quite sure will come across making sense, so hang with me here a moment.
I am currently on the waiting lists at SUNY Buffalo and U Rochester. I know I'm near the top of UB and have no idea at ROchester ("unranked list"). So, most of this question is hypothetical. I'm starting to think about actually getting into one of these school, and possibly both. Now, where would you choose? Both schools and areas have benefits and bad things about them. (I currently live in Rochester, my fiance (will be husband in June) is here also finishing up his BS)
Rochester - great cirriculum, I have a good feeling about the school and hospital (I also currently work there), great match list, BUT it's REALLY expensive. Also, fiance already has many job contacts here and some possible job offers if we stay here. Moving would also be much easier (we'll be buying a house in the fall).
Buffalo - Was shocked how much I liked the school. Felt comfortalbe there, Really good new cirriculum (similar to Roch in many ways and out of class by noon everyday!), great faculty, good match list (esp for primary care), 9 affiliated hospitals, CHEAP! (Tuition and living expenses), finding a job for fiance wouldn't be too tough

I guess I should say that I'm probably interested in primary care, but not sure yet. Also, I'm interested in doing my residency in Maine/New Hampshire (ME Medical quite possibly) so I can be near my family. Rochester matched one at that hospital this year, but I don't know how competitive it is.
I think that I'm probably going to hear from Buffalo pretty soon since their list is already moving. Rochester is going to be a longer wait (so after May 15th and I'd need an immediate response, that's why I'm already worrying about this). How long would you wait? I'd kind of like to know where I'm going sooner than later since I have most housing/spouse logistics to worry about than many people do. Would you set a date sand say that if you hadn't heard by then you'd stick with what you've got and start planning on moving? Also, how much would you base your decision on cost vs reputation? (ie Rochester has a better rep I guess, but would be much more difficult to pay off if I go into primary care)

Did all that make sense? What would you do? :)
TIA!
~H

Members don't see this ad.

Don't decide to go to a school for money. Later in life, you will not be pressed for cash, and shouldn't have a problem paying your dues if you are responsible about it. Think of it as an investment towards making your years at medical school more enjoyable -- the purpose of money is, after all, to make our lives better, ja? If all other things are equal, money is a more than reasonable deciding factor, but if you clearly prefer one school to another, stick with it.

Also, is your fiance opposed to commuting? Buffalo's only an hour from Rochester, right? So if he got a job there and you chose Rochester, then maybe he could commute? Maybe you could even live halfway between (like in Batavia or something)? Just throwing some ideas out there.

I don't know anything about Buffalo, but Rochester was my first choice and that's where I'm going!!

Also, I'd like to do my residency in the New England area (I'm from NH) .

Members don't see this ad :)
We have discussed the commuting thing - Batavia wouldn't be so bad if this wasn't upstate NY and it didn't snow 6 months out of the year :) That 30 miles or whatever could easily turn into a hour and a half drive each way in the winter. So commuting is out for us. I don't want to live more than 15-20 mins from school. Good idea though :)

~H

Any other input on how you'd rank the two (especially if you're familiar with both!) and how long you'd wait on any two schools if placed in such a position?

Thanks!
~H

hsouth said:
Any other input on how you'd rank the two (especially if you're familiar with both!) and how long you'd wait on any two schools if placed in such a position?

Thanks!
~H

I interviewed at both and in fact will be attending Rochester. Needless to say I would choose Rochester over UB. The reputation is much better and will work out for you in the future. Yes, it costs more, but you're going to be in such great of debt, what's a couple thousand here or there?

I wish it were only a "few thousand" - then I wouldn't be so concerned about it! However, it's more like Double! The difference between finishing $100k in debt and $200k is big.
I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. I guess I'll just have to wait and see and maybe arbitrarily pick a date to make my decision by. Maybe I'm just freaking out a bit too soon :)
~H

It sounds like you would be happy at either place. I get the feeling you are already leaning towards UB. Primary care at Maine/NH shouldn't be that competetive (relatively speaking) so I do not believe you would need the added prestige that UR would provide you. If you want to study abroad or do research, go to UR.