buffalo surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entropy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about the surgery program in
buffalo?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a great program. I am not in surgery, but my brother -in -law went thru it and is in very high esteem. I would stongly suggest you give it consideration.

Overall, a decent program. You get to operate fairly early as a resident. I don't think this is the place if you want an academic career. If private practice is what you want, then you will be fine. I think ortho/urology are much stronger then general surgery. Plus, it snows in Buffalo in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jester is exactly right, but that snow comment just hurts!

"Plus, it snows in Buffalo in April. "

I grew up in Buffalo. An unfortunate truth!

Well, as a student at UB I can tell you that the surgery program is in a state of flux. They are still looking for a program chair and the current interm chair is one old school-ed guy who can be very mean to the residents. From a student's prespective, the rotation that we go through is absolutely horrible. We are not graded by the residents and the attendings barely know us (if at all). The hours are "80"/week, but in reality more. As a student I had one week where I worked 120hrs and others where I worked 90. Everybody is encouraged to only work 80 hrs (g-d forbid we would be fined), but reality is that you can't leave early and depending on your chief you may do lots of scut work. Most of the residents are very nice, but I feel the program is not nice to them. I would be very hard pressed to recommend it to anybody, but I am not going into surgery and am only a student. Maybe, if a new chair arrives in the next few months things will change. Check it out for yourself and see if any of the residents like it.

Anyone know if Buffalo has a neurosurg program? If so, how is it?

Yes, we do have a neurosurgery program. I can't comment on the quality of the program. I know someone in it, but he is a general surgery intern at the moment (and hates it). It is supposed to be much better than our general surgery program with better call hours.

Buffalo Neurosurgery, while leap years ahead of the general surgery program is still suffering from the effects of a decimated hospital system, Kaleida Health. The entire system up here is in a state of flux with entire departments depleted of attendings and no sign of improvement in sight. I strongly suggest exploring other programs out of the WNY area.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I heard about the CHOB thing with Kaleida, but didn't know it extended to other Buffalo hospitals...