Buffalo vs. Quinnipiac (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbac13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I was accepted off the Buffalo waitlist this morning and now am torn between here and Quinnipiac. I absolutely love both schools, and wanted your input before I decided. Any suggestions would be helpful! Here are some pros/cons for each:

Buffalo
Pros
-IS tuition (SUNY)
-new building to open next spring (new labs, classrooms, tech, etc)
-students and faculty are super friendly; there is no sense of competition between people
-lots of research opportunities/facilities (something I am interested in)
-integrated curriculum
-relatively strong match list
-Mr. Rosso is awesome and has an amazing sense of humor!
-more "well-established" (not really a significant factor)
Cons
-far from SO and family
-Buffalo is brutal during winters

Quinnipiac
Pros
-smaller class size (91 vs 160ish)
-everyone is laid back and relaxed, including Dean Yeckel (who personally knows my name)
-closer to home
-brand new tech/classrooms/buildings
-highly collaborative between the different health science students and within the school
-curriculum is also very integrated, and problem-solving based--> small group sessions are emphasized
-MeSH program where we work with a doctor once a week and see patients with him etc
Cons
-higher COA (~20k/yr more)
-super new school (not really a con)
-lack of established research on campus
-no dedicated hospital for rotations--> all sites are at least 25-30 min driving distance

Money is a deciding factor in my situation. I don't know if its justifiable to pay 80k more just to be 2h away from SO and family versus 9h. Let me know what you all think!

Members don't see this ad.

I've always had an interest in cardiology or cardiothoracic surgery, so something along those lines. I want to do some clinical or bench research in the field

I've always had an interest in cardiology or cardiothoracic surgery, so something along those lines. I want to do some clinical or bench research in the field

Do you have an idea of how limited the research opportunities at Netter would be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an idea of how limited the research opportunities at Netter would be?
On campus itself, it's virtually nonexistent (for now). But many students choose to do work with Yale doctors and professors due to proximity

I was in a similar situation and chose Buffalo primarily because of the $$$.

Some other things to consider as negatives of Buffalo are the fact they don't have a centralized hospital, anatomy is 8 people per cadaver, and there are graded preclinicals. Also IMHO, Buffalo had a somewhat weaker match list than Netter, but this may be because a lot of people are locals and want to stay and serve Buffalo. I really liked a lot of aspects of Quinnipiac but couldn't justify the cost and "new" factor. It also seemed to me Netter had a lot of cool ideas (like the thesis project or whatever it was called), but didn't always have the best way to implement them.

Reactions: 1 user
After careful consideration, I think I will be committing to SUNY Buffalo (unless I get into my top choice, SUNY Downstate)! Thank you for your input everyone!

Hi,

Just wondering which and how did you end up making a decision, I am currently accepted in both school and I am having such a hard time making the deicsion.

Thank you!