1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

buffing up the applications

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by benogurl, Nov 5, 2002.

1. benogurl

benogurl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm very new in this scene. In fact, I told myself I'm quite burned out from 20 years of schooling. I finally got out of UC Berkeley School of Public Health with an MPH, and I'm already considering a doctorate! I don't want to put myself through so much school (especially my fiance doesn't like the idea of me with more stress), but I feel like DO's my calling. TUCOM presented this field unbeknownst to me in 1997 when I was an undergrad @ Berkeley. I found it interesting, but I decided to pursue an MPH to further my knowledge of the medical field and disease prevention from the administration p.o.v. I actually have an MPH in infectious disease. I really want to make use of both MPH and DO, but I'm not sure how I can integrate both backgrounds.

I'm quite aware of the cost associated with applying. I don't just mean $$$, but the emotional and physical strain. My undergrad GPA was so-so (I doubled for fun and sanity), but my grad GPA was better. Do they take that into consideration? Is there a counselor @ the COMs who can look at my transcripts and tell me how high of an MCAT score I need to get in? I want to first assess my chances of getting in before I attempt at getting in. I really think that osteopathy aligns with my approach on health.

What do you think? Is this what you did before you applied? Did you have to retake classes to improve your chances of getting in? My BAs were in Molecular 'n Cell Bio and Psychology (biological).

I'm also interested in TUCOM and WUCOM. Any preference?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gaffer

gaffer Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Schools in general look proudly at applicants who have an upward trend in their grades. And as far as your overall application it certainly seems there is alot more to look at besides your grades...and that is important if you think your grades are just A-OK.
    I would suggest just calling the school and asking them about advising...usually they're happy to help.. But overall if you think this is your calling go for it. Know osteopathic medicine..."The DO's" by Gevitz is a favorite intro book.

thanx
    gaf it up!

4. benogurl

benogurl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

:clap: Thank you for responding to this post. I thought no one cared. j/k Maybe I just need someone to validate my choice.

Does everyone shadow a DO before applying? I'd like to get to know DOs who practice OMT, but I'm not sure how many of them reside in the Bay Area. I heard that a lot of DOs ditch OMT and practice like MDs. Maybe I'm overly simplifying in which case I apologize. I haven't read any DO books yet. (I'll order today.)

5. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Where are you in the bay area? I can refer you to a physician in Sonoma County if that isn't too far. Otherwise, you might contact TUCOM . I'm sure they would know of some docs that you could shadow who have integrated lots of OMM into their practices.

In the meantime read Gevitz: The DO's. Also, check out the aacom website.

Good luck,

WannabeDO

6. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you haven't already, check out the "MPH to DO?" thread in this forum.

I am also pursuing an MPH and am interested in osteopathic medicine, as I want to focus on preventive medicine.

I think osteopathic medical schools look favorably upon an upward trend in grades as well as any graduate degrees in medically or health-related areas. In fact, I recently attended "Med Trek 2002" at the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM), and several members of the admissions staff noted that Maine is in dire need of public health practitioners. Moreover, UNECOM is building their public health program, and are interested in recruiting students with experience in this area.

At the same time, you have to be able to handle the first two years of med school, so you should have at least a 3.3-3.4 science and non-science and at least 8s, 9s, or 10s on your MCAT. These are the averages for most osteopathic medical schools.

Hope this helps!