Building a School List (Former CC Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted895369

Hey everyone!

I'm a 3rd year chemistry major at a STEM-focused university, and I'm starting to explore different medical schools that I would like to apply to next June. I spent 2 years at local community college where I took prereqs like Gen Chem I and II, Organic I and II, Physics I and II, Calc I - III, and Stats. I'm afraid that it was too many prereqs at a community college.

So, my question is, are there ways to know what schools you shouldn't apply to as a community college student? Obviously, I won't be applying to the ones that require a ginormous amount of 4-year credits (I'm looking at you, UChicago). But what about the schools that mention in their FAQ on the admissions site that "taking prereqs at a CC is not recommended"? Is is still wise to apply to these schools?

I will still have a substantial amount of 4 year credit, like Bio I and II, Biochemistry, Immunology, and all my upper level chem courses like Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Advanced Organic Chemistry, etc. Also, I have a 4.0 right now at the 4 year school as semester grades just came out.

Will I be severely limited in my school choices next cycle (even if I do well on the MCAT, which I haven't taken yet)?

TLDR; Can I still apply to schools that recommend against taking community college courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Get the MSAR to help you choose where to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all your replies! I guess I should have rephrased my question, it's not so much a matter of if schools will accept my CC credits, it is more of a committee's attitude towards me during the application process. I guess its not a clear-cut answer, but thanks for shedding some insight!