Building up the profile for DDS admission.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deo0086

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello docs! It would be a great help if you guys can help me on this. I have applied to many schools this cycle and have been getting rejections so far.

Major Reason: Lack of Experience.

So the question is since I have only 4 months of experience after graduating(2015 I graduated), should I go back to my home country and practice as a dentist or should I stay here and practice as a RDA. Which experience is more valuable and will boost my profile more? I am a US citizen.

My profile is:

NBDE 1&2
TOEFL- 106
Research(revised articles) exp at home
4-5mths shadowing here
CDE courses back home
Community work back home through my college.
2015 graduate with 4 mths exp at home

Guys i really need some inputs so that I can make my decision. I'm here alone as my family is back home. So should i go back or stay here is my main concern. All responses will be highly appreciated.

Also what all can be done to improve the profile further may be posted here.

God bless you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello docs! It would be a great help if you guys can help me on this. I have applied to many schools this cycle and have been getting rejections so far.

Major Reason: Lack of Experience.

So the question is since I have only 4 months of experience after graduating(2015 I graduated), should I go back to my home country and practice as a dentist or should I stay here and practice as a RDA. Which experience is more valuable and will boost my profile more? I am a US citizen.

My profile is:

NBDE 1&2
TOEFL- 106
Research(revised articles) exp at home
4-5mths shadowing here
CDE courses back home
Community work back home through my college.
2015 graduate with 4 mths exp at home

Guys i really need some inputs so that I can make my decision. I'm here alone as my family is back home. So should i go back or stay here is my main concern. All responses will be highly appreciated.

Also what all can be done to improve the profile further may be posted here.

God bless you all!
Hi:hello: , I am also a first time applicant this cycle with no iv so far+pity+....... so my advise comes from what I have researched and been informed by other international dentists who went through same experience and did get in eventually.
So first:thinking: your stats look good (dont knw ur gpa bt if its above 3 u r good) , you have a continuity in ur dental experience since you graduated which is good so u got all the experience a fresh graduate is expected to have. Also this cycle just started and will go on till next year ( BU till feb and Colorado till july) so even if u got a few rejections doesnt mean its over for this cycle. U have a big plus over other international candidates who cannot work or stay beyond 6 mnths in the states. u have citizenship nd i dnt believe citizenship is prferrd over stats I just think citizens are able to gain much experience in the country that adds A LOT to the profile over international experience so stay in the states and start getting work experience more like hands on than shadowing , find volunteer/work as dental assistant , community work , basically keep updating ur US based experience in ur current profile while u wait for IV calls. Other things that help make a strong profile is SOP and LORs , u cant change them for this cycle bt (although i wish u get in this cycle) for next year cycle you would be able to update them nd strengthen them even more.
So I would say stay their and start gaining more experience other then just shadowing , attend conferences ,CE courses nd earn credit points , try getting AHA CPR/BLS certification , find community / volunteer / research opportunites , basically all u are able to get. U still have chances in this cycle , keep updating ur resume nd hope for the best. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi:hello: , I am also a first time applicant this cycle with no iv so far+pity+....... so my advise comes from what I have researched and been informed by other international dentists who went through same experience and did get in eventually.
So first:thinking: your stats look good (dont knw ur gpa bt if its above 3 u r good) , you have a continuity in ur dental experience since you graduated which is good so u got all the experience a fresh graduate is expected to have. Also this cycle just started and will go on till next year ( BU till feb and Colorado till july) so even if u got a few rejections doesnt mean its over for this cycle. U have a big plus over other international candidates who cannot work or stay beyond 6 mnths in the states. u have citizenship nd i dnt believe citizenship is prferrd over stats I just think citizens are able to gain much experience in the country that adds A LOT to the profile over international experience so stay in the states and start getting work experience more like hands on than shadowing , find volunteer/work as dental assistant , community work , basically keep updating ur US based experience in ur current profile while u wait for IV calls. Other things that help make a strong profile is SOP and LORs , u cant change them for this cycle bt (although i wish u get in this cycle) for next year cycle you would be able to update them nd strengthen them even more.
So I would say stay their and start gaining more experience other then just shadowing , attend conferences ,CE courses nd earn credit points , try getting AHA CPR/BLS certification , find community / volunteer / research opportunites , basically all u are able to get. U still have chances in this cycle , keep updating ur resume nd hope for the best. :)

DrKj Thanks a lot for your wise thoughts!!!! I really appreciate your help. I will continue to find the opportunities you have listed. May God bless you abundantly and my prayers are also with you. I wish you the best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you and all the best to you. :)
May we both get in this year:thumbup: . Keep posting any info or queries u have, It definitely helps discussing with fellow applicants. ;)