Bummed Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i am so bummed out right now.

i took the august mcats, but got the same score as my april mcat.

so far, i only have 1 interview. i am on the interview pool at two other schools. i got rejected from 2 schools so far. and the oher 20 schools, i am just waiting for my app to be reviewed.

the wait is killing me, but everyone keeps telling me that i am just hoping for nothing. all i need is one acceptance. i worked so hard these past 4 years, and even took the mcat 3 times and that was a horrifying experience. i don't want to take a year off.

i haven't even heard froim my nj schools year... my state schools... while their class is filling up on rolling admissions.

am i just tricking myself in believe that i will get in somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

theunderdog said:
hey guys, i am so bummed out right now.

i took the august mcats, but got the same score as my april mcat.

so far, i only have 1 interview. i am on the interview pool at two other schools. i got rejected from 2 schools so far. and the oher 20 schools, i am just waiting for my app to be reviewed.

the wait is killing me, but everyone keeps telling me that i am just hoping for nothing. all i need is one acceptance. i worked so hard these past 4 years, and even took the mcat 3 times and that was a horrifying experience. i don't want to take a year off.

i haven't even heard froim my nj schools year... my state schools... while their class is filling up on rolling admissions.

am i just tricking myself in believe that i will get in somewhere?

well, how strong do you think your application is? i wouldn't say that august MCATers are as much at a disadvantage as they just didn't get the extra edge when not waiting for MCAT scores to come out. and it is still fairly early, as most schools interview through february or march. do you have at least average-ish numbers, and various ECs to round you out?

somewhere2010 said:
well, how strong do you think your application is? i wouldn't say that august MCATers are as much at a disadvantage as they just didn't get the extra edge when not waiting for MCAT scores to come out. and it is still fairly early, as most schools interview through february or march. do you have at least average-ish numbers, and various ECs to round you out?

hey thanks for caring by replying...

i know you're probably going to freak, but i have a 3.5 overall. my bcpm is about that. but i have a 27 mcat... i got that twice... in fact, i got a 19 the first time i took the mcat. my combined score is a 29. my LORs, ECs, and clinical experiences are tremendous.

i know some people would kill to have my numbers, but i would kill to have better numbers. i called a lot of schools and they said my 27 would keep me out. they also said they dont combine mcats, so my combined 29 is crap. im getting very worried that i sent letters of interest to every school.

my family is very poor. i'm not a URM or disadvantaged. in fact, im asian. my family is poor, like i said, and if i dont get in this year, i have to give up my dream of being a doctor and find a job with my BS degree.

i go to a top20 college, and the tuition is ridiculous. so that's why i have to give up my dream.... if i dont get in this year.... and hence, i am freaking out and depressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
theunderdog said:
hey thanks for caring by replying...

i know you're probably going to freak, but i have a 3.5 overall. my bcpm is about that. but i have a 27 mcat... i got that twice... in fact, i got a 19 the first time i took the mcat. my combined score is a 29. my LORs, ECs, and clinical experiences are tremendous.

i know some people would kill to have my numbers, but i would kill to have better numbers. i called a lot of schools and they said my 27 would keep me out. they also said they dont combine mcats, so my combined 29 is crap. im getting very worried that i sent letters of interest to every school.

my family is very poor. i'm not a URM or disadvantaged. in fact, im asian. my family is poor, like i said, and if i dont get in this year, i have to give up my dream of being a doctor and find a job with my BS degree.

i go to a top20 college, and the tuition is ridiculous. so that's why i have to give up my dream.... if i dont get in this year.... and hence, i am freaking out and depressed.
Underdog, be optimistic about things and hopefully you will get at least one acceptance this year. Its still early to say anything(to give you example I havent even finished most of my secondaries yet, and even though it may not feel like it, you still mite be ahead of the game)...so keep you hopes high and lets hope for the best! :)

You could always think of D.O. if you don't get in, plus you'd be a very competitive applicant there. It's not even really too late to apply to those schools this year. Just some food for thought, you'll be able to do everything and your a physician.

Hey Underdog -
I don't know if this'll help, but as far as I know the average MCAT score for MD MATRICULANTS is just over 27. Thus, there should be plenty of places that would consider and, yes, even accept you. If you LORs, ECs, and clinical are as good as you say they are, then I would say that the ones you've done secondaries for will take them into account. Keep in mind that SDN is a very skewed place and that there are plenty of people that are in similar positions to you (it's just that there aren't many of them on HERE!) and that it's still fairly early in the interview season.
:luck: Chin up!

theunderdog said:

I really hope you get in this year and don't have to reapply... but if you do - look into the FAP with AMCAS since you say your family is poor.

Good luck this year!

hey thanks guys.

i mean, case already rejected me..... and i was depressed also because my premed advisor told me in my face that my mcat score is low and that i probably will have a hard time getting in anything...

i know the msar says 27 for matriculants, but that factors in URMs and non-trads... which i am not either of.. im just a hard-working senior in college just trying to make my dream come true... and going to med school straight..

Underdog, consider DO. Yeah, I know what everyone says about DOs, but my husband's doc is a DO, and I interviewed every pediatrician in my town (about 18 of them) and the only one I liked was a DO. A good doc is a good doc no matter what the initials after their name. Not too late for DO applications............

Yea, I agree with ShyRem... think about the DO route: especially as a NJ resident. I don't know much about DO schools, but I'm pretty sure that the UMDNJ-COM is one of the best DO schools out there. I think it has tons of its own residencies in all sorts of specialties... so, check it out! :)

hey underdog-

i'm sorry you're having such a hard time with everything. i agree with much of what others have posted. i do think it's possible for an MD acceptance. did you apply wisely? was your mcat score even across the sections or was one section lopsided? remember, it's still early, the bulk of interviews should be coming up soon.

also, others have mentioned it, but have you thought about DO programs? you could still apply for this cycle -- your numbers are very competitive!

no one has suggested this, but take a day off. don't think about applications, interviews, other people's scores/gpa's/opinions and go do something fun! this process is enough to suck the life outta anyone and we've all gotta remember to live a bit...

best of luck with your interview and everything else! :luck:

hey guys, thanks for all the replies. i am slowly gaining back my confidence...

i got a 19 the first time. i bombed badly with kaplan.

i switched over to examkrackers and got a 27Q-- 10B, 9V, 8 P.

i knew i could do better and retook the august mcat. got a 27-- 10P, 9B, 8V.

as you can see, different scores in every section... i got screwed in verbal in august. i thought i was going to get a 10 or 11, but got screwed somehow.

with the DO suggestion, i dont mean to offend anybody, but my cousin is a DO and he tells me there is a stigma attached to it. he told me that i should really try to become a MD. i have nothing against the DO degree, but again, my family is really poor. I can't afford any more applications. twenty some apps already went out for secondaries and i really cannot spend the extra money....

Hey underdog, sorry to freeload your thread but I'm in the same situationwith very similar score, and I just began my primary app. recently. It's still kept on hold because not all transcripts are in. So, in the end, low MCAT Score + late application = doom? Not to add low clinical volunteer experience!

Well I hope you nail that Tulane interview. I know you can do great. Just relax. If you have more questions about it feel free to PM me or if you want my email PM me and I can give you that. I know that while I did interview there I have been lucky enough to gain an acceptance after that and will be pulling out of Tulane so others have a chance.

SearsTower said:
Hey underdog, sorry to freeload your thread but I'm in the same situationwith very similar score, and I just began my primary app. recently. It's still kept on hold because not all transcripts are in. So, in the end, low MCAT Score + late application = doom? Not to add low clinical volunteer experience!

underdog, are you sure that a low family income doesn't qualify as disadvantaged? just a thought...

also, if you don't get into school this year, you could take time off and work as a research assistant and do some volunteering to beef up your app even more. but it looks to me, with your #s and your saying that you have a good well-rounded app, that you probably have a good chance at getting in!

best of luck to you :)

underdog....how did you feel you first interview went? good, bad? i mean a lot of these posts seem a little negative but i think that you have a shot at getting in MD this year. i have a 4.0 but a 26,24,26 MCATs. i have been offered 3 interviews and rejected at 2 schools. i really think that once you get an interview, a lot is just riding on that. many schools believe that once you are offered an interview, you are on the same playing field as everyone else with an interview. you cant get a good feel of what the applicant pool really is like from reading SDN...there are many people with stats like yours who get accepted...it only takes one acceptance so prepare yourself as much as you can for your interviews and NAIL them.

kaykay73 said:
underdog....how did you feel you first interview went? good, bad? i mean a lot of these posts seem a little negative but i think that you have a shot at getting in MD this year. i have a 4.0 but a 26,24,26 MCATs. i have been offered 3 interviews and rejected at 2 schools. i really think that once you get an interview, a lot is just riding on that. many schools believe that once you are offered an interview, you are on the same playing field as everyone else with an interview. you cant get a good feel of what the applicant pool really is like from reading SDN...there are many people with stats like yours who get accepted...it only takes one acceptance so prepare yourself as much as you can for your interviews and NAIL them.

thanks to everyone that responded. wow, im utterly overwhlemed by the support of the SDN. thanks guys.

ti89, i will definitely PM u later on. my interview is in december.

kaykay, you're probably a non-traditional that has taken time off from applying right? because if you are, we are different types of applicants. non-trads arent looked the same as trads are. but i understand what you are trying to say.

i took a year off and am doing research but as far as my other stuff..its not all that great. i am a white female...just a regular gal

Underdog, I understand your financial situation but I can give you a suggestion that someone else I know is doing here in Denver. For about $250 you can sign up for a CNA training class at an opportunity school. After a month you would be trained as a nurses asst. which doesn't pay much, but it can pay for rent and food and what not and get you through until next year. I don't think you should give up.

A lot of my secondaries asked if I had economic disadvantages growing up, are you sure they won't take that into consideration.

I too am a 28 MCATer, but I am non-trad and URM so I won't even try to compare.

You will rock the casba with your interview, I just know it. :thumbup:

SearsTower said:
Sears,
very similar situation here