Bunch of interviews but no acceptances yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virusgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel the need to vent... I've done 8 allopathic interviews, and have not yet been accepted anywhere. It seems like every time I click on someone's MDapps link, they've gotten into at least one place by now, so I am frustrated! I am not writing this because I am looking for feedback on the strength of my application per se; I merely want to express my annoyance with the process and see if anyone is in a similar boat. (and yes, I am grateful for the fact that I have osteopathic acceptances and will be going somewhere next year, but I would still like the allo schools to come through as well)

Wake Forest -- wait list
U Rochester -- wait list
EVMS -- wait list
VCU -- nothing
Tulane -- nothing
NYMC -- nothing
BU -- nothing
UMass -- positively THUNDEROUS silence

Anyone else experiencing this right now? I welcome your complaints!

Members don't see this ad.

have you written LOInterests? updates?

Waiting is part of the process. It can cause serious heartburn.. Can't say anything except to sit tight and wait to see from the 5 schools you're still waiting to hear from. I think your chances of eventually getting in are quite high anyway, having had 8 interviews to MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES!!! I interviewed at AECOM (rejected), maryland (post hold letter which I'm taking to mean a near-rejection), vcu (nothing yet!! hopefully will hear something today! I interviewed back in oct...), nymc (well ok... This one I withdrew bc I was really turned off by the school... Hm), georgetown (rejected), nyu (nothing yet), and 2 other february interviews coming up. But I am holding no acceptances yet and I'm a little scared and frustrated, definitely. Hopefully we'll both get good news really really soon!!

have you written LOInterests? updates?

I have written updates/LOIs to Tulane and BU so far. I'm in the process of tweaking the specifics for other places.

I can relate. I have one more interview coming up and its at my top choice. I'm just wondering if I'm an awful interviewer. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself after that besides drink heavily.

I have been to seven.

AECOM - Rejected
Vanderbilt - Waitlisted or deferred or whatever they call it
Northwestern - Deferred to March
NYU - Silence
Dartmouth - Silence
Georgetown - CAP, sent an LOI, silence
Duke - Silence until March

Depressing.

I am in the same boat as you guys (tons of interviewing, almost no decisions rendered) and I guarantee all of you that we will be singing to a different tune after march. I am pretty sure that's when things will start moving for everybody.

same here. 4 down, 5th coming up, no action.

oh well, hopefully the LOIs will help some! but good luck to you guys!!! waiting does blow, but hopefully one of the schools will pull through. it's not that late yet, so keep hoping!!!

oh well, hopefully the LOIs will help some! but good luck to you guys!!! waiting does blow, but hopefully one of the schools will pull through. it's not that late yet, so keep hoping!!!
How important would you say letters of interest are? I was under the impression that it varied from school to school.

How important would you say letters of interest are? I was under the impression that it varied from school to school.

i have no idea about this. there are varying opinions from useless to super helpful. but look at it this way, if you don't do it, later you might think i wonder if i would have gotten in hard a written an LOI. trying won't hurt. if it doesn't help your application, you won't get rejected for writing a good LOI. granted don't start calling/writing one every week or something crazy like that. but draft one to a school you really like.

i live believing in no regrets ... but that's just me :)

I totally feel your pain buddy. I was on 4 waitlists before I finally got into a school and was freaking out. Don't even worry about it you still have to hear from the majority of your schools, I'm sure ATLEAST one of them will turn into acceptances. Plus don't count out the possibility of getting pulled off the waitlists in may. Interviews may be mostly over but the wait game is just beginning! Just try to keep your mind preocuppied with other stuff or you'll waste a lot of your precious life worrying about it unecessarily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the club. Been on 7 interviews and no decisions yet (except for a hold from UWash). I am soooo hoping that I will get a good Case decision on Weds so that I won't have to spend another $1000 on 2 more interviews...

Definitely feel you (hopefully VCU will show us some love today!)

I feel the need to vent... I've done 8 allopathic interviews, and have not yet been accepted anywhere. It seems like every time I click on someone's MDapps link, they've gotten into at least one place by now, so I am frustrated! I am not writing this because I am looking for feedback on the strength of my application per se; I merely want to express my annoyance with the process and see if anyone is in a similar boat. (and yes, I am grateful for the fact that I have osteopathic acceptances and will be going somewhere next year, but I would still like the allo schools to come through as well)

Wake Forest -- wait list
U Rochester -- wait list
EVMS -- wait list
VCU -- nothing
Tulane -- nothing
NYMC -- nothing
BU -- nothing

Actually alot of people are accepted from waitlists. There can be alot of waitlist movement after May 15. I think your odds of getting an acceptance are actually pretty good. But you are going to have to hunker down and be patient. And you may garner an acceptance from one of the schools from whom you are still waiting to hear. I think you are in a decent position and most likely will be in med school next year.

Wake Forest -- wait list
U Rochester -- wait list
EVMS -- wait list
VCU -- nothing
Tulane -- nothing
NYMC -- nothing
BU -- nothing

I know waiting is horrible but you're in a better shape than i am. I only had one interview so far and I am freaking out.

I don't want to increase your stress level you but I met a person during my interview who was interviewed by > 5 schools during the previous cycle and did not receive any acceptance.

D

I am in the same boat!!! 5 interviews: AECOM- rejection; Temple and Tufts- wait list, and two more still to hear from. i dont have an acceptance (yet?) so i understand the PAIN AND AGONY they are making us put up with. sorry!

Tulane -- nothing
!

If its been 2 weeks since your interview, give them a call tomorrow and ask. They will tell you on the phone if you've been accepted or not - if you don't want to wait for your letter.

I'm in the same boat! 7 interviews, 8 soon, and no acceptances yet. I might have to go on one or two more interviews just to be safe (was really, really hoping I'd have an acceptance by now so I could save on travel money).

Admittedly, half my interviews are at non-rolling schools so there isn't much I can do but maybe write some LOIs or something, and wait. =/

GWU = It's been eight weeks... But apparently they're taking 10 weeks now.
SUNY Downstate = It's also been eight weeks, but again, they're apparently taking about 10 weeks now, maybe?
Emory = Late February or in March
Cornell, Columbia, UPenn, and then Yale (my future eighth interview) = Won't hear till March.
Wash U = Who knows when the hell they'll get back to me (interviewed week before thanksgiving).

Wake Forest -- wait list
U Rochester -- wait list
EVMS -- wait list
VCU -- nothing
Tulane -- nothing
NYMC -- nothing
BU -- nothing

I've had 5 interviews, 3 WL's, waiting to hear from 2 other places, no acceptances. I feel your pain.

I was totally about to make a thread EXACTLY like this one. I am THERE. I had interviewed at 7 places and just barely got my 1st acceptance last Friday. It was pretty agonizing, since I interviewed at most of my schools in Oct.-Nov. Most of them are non-rolling schools, so I'm stuck waiting 'till March for any news. Hang in there.

AtG

So good to know that there's other people going through this pain. I've had 4 interviews 4 waitlists so far. 3 more to go, but it's hard to be hopeful at this point. My state schools have pretty low stats, I should have been able to get into one at this point. I am absolutely kicking myself in the ass for not applying DO this season. If worse comes to worse I'm going exclusively DO next season.

No news from vcu today. I'm feeling a bit ridiculous and like a failing bum.

The worst part is, I have an orga exam next week and I've just got no motivation. If I knew I was in, I'd have motivation to do well enough to not have my acceptance rescinded. But if I don't get into any of these schools, well hell, I'd gladly drop the class and never worry about it again.

Stupid sadistic schools.

i have no idea about this. there are varying opinions from useless to super helpful. but look at it this way, if you don't do it, later you might think i wonder if i would have gotten in hard a written an LOI. trying won't hurt. if it doesn't help your application, you won't get rejected for writing a good LOI. granted don't start calling/writing one every week or something crazy like that. but draft one to a school you really like.

i live believing in no regrets ... but that's just me :)
I plan on sending those soon, but probably only to schools where I was told that they would like a LOI.

good lcuk anotherface ... i hope you get in where you want.

I've had 8 interviews so far, 4 waitlists, 1 hold, no news from 3, and 3 interviews to go. And most of these schools are on rolling basis. And I interviewed in September (1), October (3), December (1), January (2), with 3 to go. What can you do? I told an interviewer one of the most important things that a physician needs to possess is patience. Here's to living up to my own expectations.

If its been 2 weeks since your interview, give them a call tomorrow and ask. They will tell you on the phone if you've been accepted or not - if you don't want to wait for your letter.

I called them today, and no decision has been made yet -- grrrr! I think adcom meets Tues, so I will probably call Thurs, and if they still have no decision, I'll resign myself to frantic mailbox-stalking.

And luckyducky, I was also blown off by VCU last night.

I wish NYMC would get back to me... I'm sure they have their reasons, but this 8-12 weeks business really blows.

I've had six interviews, for which I was rejected at one school, put on hold at another, waitlisted at two (well, Vanderbilt waitlist is more like a rejection they say,), and waiting for the last two schools.
And it seems like they'll both be sending their decisions in early March.
I hope we'll all get a lot of action in the March-May period when people start to make their decisions.
February this year has only twenty-eight days, but it'll be the longest February of my life.

Vanderbilt waitlisted you or deferred you? I thought people got off that thing a lot.

Vanderbilt waitlisted you or deferred you? I thought people got off that thing a lot.
They do. And the tone of the letter suggest deferment or a hold, not waitlist, however SDN (in its wisdom ;)) seems to have decided to refer to it as a waitlist. I think it's because no one gets rejected straight out, so everyone is on that list.

Oh yeah, come to think of it, I think it did say my application was deferred.
I sort of ripped it up and threw it away,
violently.

So will they come up with a formal waitlist in the upcoming months, or is this it?

Wake Forest -- wait list
U Rochester -- wait list
EVMS -- wait list
VCU -- nothing
Tulane -- nothing
NYMC -- nothing
BU -- nothing

Wow, you have several DO acceptances and yet you're acting like you haven't gotten into medical school altogether. Be very, very grateful for what you've been given - competition these days is brutal and there are certainly people out there who won't be going to any sort of medical school next year.

Oh yeah, come to think of it, I think it did say my application was deferred.
I sort of ripped it up and threw it away,
violently.

Yeah, I destroyed mine in a similar fashion. Still holding out hope for Vandy.

Not enough violence, imo.

Actually, it was a pretty ****ty experience all around. I had just gotten back from my Dartmouth interview, and my dad offered to pick me up. In the car, on a two-and-a-half hour drive back, he tells me that Vanderbilt had sent me a letter. He hadn't opened it, of course, but said that looking under the light (way to go, dad!), he saw something about financial aid.

I was thinking good news. Spent an unbelievable amount of time in the car, half freaked out, half sure I was in. Got home. Rejected.

Ouch.

Not enough violence.

Wow, you have several DO acceptances and yet you're acting like you haven't gotten into medical school altogether. Be very, very grateful for what you've been given - competition these days is brutal and there are certainly people out there who won't be going to any sort of medical school next year.

As indicated in my original post, I noted my DO acceptances and explicitly stated that I am very happy to have them (in fact, I think I actually used the word "grateful") -- I don't think that constitutes "acting like haven't gotten into a medical school altogether." If I've still managed to come across as an ungrateful wretch despite my best efforts, my apologies. That being said, no one would be on this pre-allopathic thread if they weren't also interested in allopathic schools, and having osteopathic acceptances does not make the allopathic process any less frustrating.

But I definitely do understand that there are people with no acceptances at all (and several of my friends are among them this cycle), so I'm certainly aware that this process is a lot more unpleasant for some people than for others.

Last edited:
Not enough violence, imo.

Actually, it was a pretty ****ty experience all around. I had just gotten back from my Dartmouth interview, and my dad offered to pick me up. In the car, on a two-and-a-half hour drive back, he tells me that Vanderbilt had sent me a letter. He hadn't opened it, of course, but said that looking under the light (way to go, dad!), he saw something about financial aid.

I was thinking good news. Spent an unbelievable amount of time in the car, half freaked out, half sure I was in. Got home. Rejected.

Ouch.

Not enough violence.
I think at least one person on SDN has already gotten off the deferred/waitlist thingy so it's definitely not violence-worthy yet.

Hey, 10 interviews here and no response...few HOLDs, waitlists, active considerations....but Im hoping that March is a big month?

I know how you all feel....

*sigh*
Damn. 39, 3.8 and no acceptances? If you have a hard time getting in, then I don't have a prayer.

Good luck everybody. Keep your heads up!

Damn. 39, 3.8 and no acceptances? If you have a hard time getting in, then I don't have a prayer.

Good luck everybody. Keep your heads up!

39, 3.95 here with no acceptances. rough cycle.

hey guys I know it doesn't feel like it now but this cycle is far from over. Keep the faith and I'm sure the waitlist movements will be in your favor!

That's right! The cycle must not be over yet because I haven't gotten in anywhere! :laugh:

But meh, realistically speaking, I certainly hope I do get in somewhere... as of right now, I don't even have a waitlist position...

Is this a particularly bad cycle for many people or am I just imagining that to make myself feel better?

That's right! The cycle must not be over yet because I haven't gotten in anywhere! :laugh:

But meh, realistically speaking, I certainly hope I do get in somewhere... as of right now, I don't even have a waitlist position...

Is this a particularly bad cycle for many people or am I just imagining that to make myself feel better?

Atta' girl (or boy)!! :laugh: That's the spirit.

Honestly, I also share your thoughts that this year is a bad cycle. But, best of luck luckyducky!!:luck:

Random question for this forum, but I'm sure one of you knows the answer..
I've been accepted to NYMC but I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice. What happens if I'm waitlisted at my top choice and don't get accepted off the waitlist until after May 15th? Do I have to tell NYMC a definite yes/no by May 15th and then eliminate my chances of going to my #1 choice if taken off the waitlist?

Random question for this forum, but I'm sure one of you knows the answer..
I've been accepted to NYMC but I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice. What happens if I'm waitlisted at my top choice and don't get accepted off the waitlist until after May 15th? Do I have to tell NYMC a definite yes/no by May 15th and then eliminate my chances of going to my #1 choice if taken off the waitlist?

If you get off the waitlist at your #1, then you go if you want to go. You just won't get the deposit back... it can get a little hairy if you've already signed your lease for living arrangements, moved in already, etc.

It does seem like this cycle has been especially harsh. Definitely want to take a look at the stats for this year later on.

In another thread LizzyM said something about there possibly being more people on waitlists because the schools know that many people will apply to less schools than normal because of the economic issues. Because of this, many people who would have had 30 apps, 10 interviews and 5 acceptances are only doing 15 apps, 5 interviews and only 1 or 2 acceptances. Because the schools are planning on this, they may decide to accept less than the normal 2.5-3 times their class size, knowing that many more people will take one acceptance and run with it, and because they need to keep their class size at a predestined size, they will move more people to the waitlist and accept fewer.

I am sorry to be the barer of bad news. I wish all of you the best of luck :luck:. I hope that some of those waitlists and upcoming interviews come through for all of you. Keep your chin up and don't give up!

EDIT: I found the thread that I was talking about. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=594138&page=2. See the second page where LizzyM talks about waitlist movements. Basically, she says there may be waitlists but there is also the possibility for major movement.

Last edited:
It seems that many ppl here replying to the OP are looking at a stressful March. I'm unsure of the rule on this, but have any of you guys considered sending a letter of intent now even before decisions come out to one of those non-rolling schools assuming one of them is your top choice?