Burn you MCAT books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbpatto

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People often say that when they get in, that's exactly what they'll do.
Anyone else carry through with this ritual?

I burned a 3 foot stack of MCAT books.
It was glorious.

Members don't see this ad.

dbpatto said:

It was glorious.

I put mine into a dumpster. I assume they got a nice burial in a landfill somewhere.

I'd rather sell mine on EBAY and make like 50 bucks. To each his own, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
i gave mine away...i put a posting on my schools premed board and had 5 responses in 5 minutes from people wanting them. seeing as princeton review costs $1200 perhaps finding someone who could use the resources you paid a ton for and no longer need would be better than a visit to the dumpster or a pending structural fire in your apartment. but then i did burn my highschool diploma and dance around when i got into college so each to their own, i suppose.

I'm gleefully using them to prop up my bike while I ride it in my trainer. Literally running them over. Very, very satisfying.

opinionkitten said:
i gave mine away...i put a posting on my schools premed board and had 5 responses in 5 minutes from people wanting them. seeing as princeton review costs $1200 perhaps finding someone who could use the resources you paid a ton for and no longer need would be better than a visit to the dumpster or a pending structural fire in your apartment. but then i did burn my highschool diploma and dance around when i got into college so each to their own, i suppose.

In all fairness (speaking for us "jerks"), some of us were living nowhere near school by the time we found out our acceptance, so using a premed board wasn't an option (Didn't even think of e-bay though). Anyhow my MCAT review stuff was so scribbled on and dogeared that no one else would really want it anyhow. I stand by my decision.

once i write my thesis, i intend on using my MCAT books to fuel an appropriate funeral pyre for all of the journal articles i'll be buried under until i finish this terrible terrible master's program.
they're far too tattered to be of use to anyone else -- and it'll be a proper farewell to an atrocious exam.

after the MCAT, I will burn my Gchem books more than likely since most of them are out of date anyways :) I will burn probably all my chem books and say HAHAHHAHAHAHA TAKE THAT GLYCOLYSIS< TAKE THAT TcA CYCLE hehehe kind of like office space :)

For those who have not seen office space, well I am sad for you :) but there is a part where they take this copy/fax machine and beat it down with a baseball bat :)

Sell your books! Ebay, half.com, whatever. You'll need the dough for the application process.

$120 bucks for my old Examkrackers on eBay. I was more than happy.

dbpatto said:

It was glorious.

:eek:

Sell, sell, sell, sell, sell...
I would have enjoyed watching them burn, but I needed the money

Members don't see this ad :)
Gave mine away to a friend! He went and got a scholarship for a Kaplan course anyway. I hope he gives them back so I can have fun with them. Maybe burning them is a good idea.

Money is great :) but if they are in no condition to sell, and would be of no use to anyone around you,,,,wouldnt you burn them :) It is like the ultimate punishment for a book :) I mean think about what the book did to you :eek: lol BURN BABY BURN.....if they are good though I would sell them...or give them, more than likely give why would you make anyone pay for that kind of punishment :scared: :laugh:

dbpatto said:

It was glorious.

:smuggrin:

Don't burn your MCAT books, send them to me!

I sold them for $150 to a freshman premed girl who was in my section of band.

I passed on all my prep stuff to my lil sister who is now a frosh pre-med. It was so emotional :p

First pass, I've sold some to other folks.
Second pass, I'll try selling on ebay/Craigslist
Third pass, give them away for free.
At the end of all things, (and hoping that i get into Irvine or anywhere in CA), with whatever's left, I'll go to Corona del Mar's beach bonfire pits and have a grand ol' time :)

Geronimo said:
Gave mine away to a friend! He went and got a scholarship for a Kaplan course anyway. I hope he gives them back so I can have fun with them. Maybe burning them is a good idea.

Really! A scholarship? How do you go about getting one of those?

Ashley123 said:
:smuggrin:

Don't burn your MCAT books, send them to me!

it took me about 4 hours to burn all of my books in a conventional fireplace. They included:

2000 Princeton review Bio/Chem/Orgo/Physics Text
2001 Princeton Review Question books. (the really thick one)
The entire set of kaplan books. Everything.
All the examKracker Books.
All the AMCAS tests 1-6, and their answer manuals.
A few older Columbia review books.

In my defense, most of the books were either a little outdated or pretty well scribbled over and beat-up.

icebrat001 said:

Various clubs on campus have a scholarship you can fill out to get a kaplan course for free. Also, you can fill out financial info and get UP TO 50% off. But that is it...so you still have to pay like 750..still too much for my blood

icebrat001 said:
I knew this question was coming. It was a local college scholarship designed by the faculty just for pre-meds. Sorry!

DrWorkNeverDone said:
For those who have not seen office space, well I am sad for you :) but there is a part where they take this copy/fax machine and beat it down with a baseball bat :)

That scene is great.

fullefect1 said:
That scene is great.
:laugh: I know I especially love the rap music in the back man I swear that is what I am going to do....get dressed all in black,,,play Mosh by Eminem and watch them burn :)

DrWorkNeverDone said:
Various clubs on campus have a scholarship you can fill out to get a kaplan course for free. Also, you can fill out financial info and get UP TO 50% off. But that is it...so you still have to pay like 750..still too much for my blood

Thanks for the info. :)

Donate them to the library?