bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
USA
doctajay.com
Status
Attending Physician
Hey Tristy. Medical school (for me at least) is already pretty easy to hate intrinsically, especially the first 2 years. As for you, I know it can't make it any easier to be dealing with pretty serious health problems. The healthy second years that I talked to yesterday are similarly freaking out about the upcoming Step 1 test. I really think that you are dealing with way too many stresses right now. Is there any way that you could just make it to finals, and then take a year off to get your health back before you head into your 3rd year? Plenty of med students take a year off, and you would certainly have good reasons too. Have you sought counseling? I know we would all love to be there and help you, but we can't and its not good to go through this alone.

OP
Tristy

Tristy

BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2004
In my happy place
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
I don't know...I think that if I was able to make it through to this point, that I may have a chance to make it to finals..I don't know though, maybe I could pass since I've been doing well in classes but you never know.

I mean, it's not like I have cancer or something along those lines (thank God..), but it isn't just allergies or headaches either, you know what I mean?

I'm in counseling because of all of this $hit, and it has helped, a lot. It's kept me somewhat sane while dealing with this :oops:

And yes, there's always the option of taking a year off, but <sigh> that would be very complicated as well (too long to write it here). I honestly don't know what to do :( Like you mentioned, being alone in this doesn't help either :(

But the LOA is an option, just one that I really don't want to do. I just needed to vent while I try to think this through and figure out what I'm going to do...

Thank you for your kind response DoctaJay :oops: I really appreciate words of encouragement and objective advice these days :oops:

About the Ads

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Somewhere out there
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I suggest doing activities that take your mind away from the pressures of med school. Whenever I feel the pressure I just think that there are thousands of people who are in the exact same position I am in and they do just fine, then why not me? As for step 1, I'm set to take it on July 28th. Do I feel ready at all, hell no! But I'll sure as heck will try to be when the time comes.

The important thing is to find your own pace and study methods that work and stick to it. Deal with things one at a time and dont dwell on those that you have no control over. Medical school is not easy by any means, but it is definately doable. If you feel things boiling over then consider a leave of absence. It is in no way an admission of failure. Some people just need the extra time to get going. If you waited all your life to become a doctor, one more year is not going to make much of a difference, will it?

maceo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
rotations were the worst part of mediical school.. the most stressful... so if you are waiting for that good luck.. good luck anyway i wish you the best.. Maceo

OP
Tristy

Tristy

BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2004
In my happy place
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
Dr Who: You are right, in the sense that if I waited all this time one more year isn't going to kill me. I'm thinking about it, the LOA I mean.. I'll just have to see how things develop in these upcoming weeks...As for Step I, I know I can do well, I busted my a$$ during MSI and II so I guess I must have a good knowledge base (or so I hope!). I am trying to get my mind off of things so as to not stress too much about it..

Maceo: I know rotations are the worst part. I know that. Been there, done that. That's exactly why I'm dreading them, because I don't know how I'm going to be able to deal with it physically. But thank you though :oops:

It's just hard trying to balance things, school and your own health.

Gotta go now. Thank you guys for the advice, I'll write more later..

About the Ads