Burning question about publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meridian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so do abstracts really matter? I mean these are abstracts that have been presented (not by me) at annual meetings. And they're in a pretty competitive field as well. I'm 4th author (just coz i was on their team) on a couple, 2nd author on two (I did considerable work on these). Also, I'm 1st on two abstracts that DIDN'T get accepted to meetings.

Should I list these unaccepted abstracts on the AMCAS application? Other than these abstracts, I MIGHT have one paper out with 1st authorship, but if I don't commit as much time, since I have premed reqs to complete, and MCATS to study for, I might end up as 2nd author, but that's the only 'publications' I can claim...

Members don't see this ad.

I personally didn't mention them, but if you have left over space then go ahead. I actually didn't mention it because I was lazy and didn't feel like filling it out. Which is kind of stupid considering I worked at that place for over 2 years. Sooooo.... I guess what I'm saying is that it's a judgment call but it wouldn't hurt to put it in there if you have space.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
I personally didn't mention them, but if you have left over space then go ahead. I actually didn't mention it because I was lazy and didn't feel like filling it out. Which is kind of stupid considering I worked at that place for over 2 years. Sooooo.... I guess what I'm saying is that it's a judgment call but it wouldn't hurt to put it in there if you have space.

I disagree. I would put the accepted abstracts on the AMCAS application. It shows that you were doing serious research. It looks better if you have something to show for your research. I would considering combining them into one or two activties, if possible, since you only get 15 on AMCAS.

Research without any publication < research with meeting presentation < publication in regular peer reviewed journal < publication in elite journal (Nature, NEJM, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
well in the description i mentioned i was published several times but never wrote out the full title of the abstract and all that stuff. i think if i were to make a separate thing just for publications i would do it as you say and make it one per research project, like if one of your labs did 3 abstracts then include that under one heading, and if another lab did 2, then include that in a separate heading, etc. but that's a judgment call too. if you have a lot of space then just make all of them separate.

anyway, the OP has plenty of time to decide. it's only february... maybe one of your papers will get published soon and you won't have to worry about this :)

A word of caution if you do mention them.

Anticipate that an interviewer will not nod avuncularly and jut say how nice. Be prepared to answer detailed questions if the need arises; the interviewer may just happen to know that subject, and even the other authors. Before you go to interviews, reread those papers to prepare yourself. Nothing lost if you are not quizzed on them, but otherwise a risk if you are asked and are not prepared.